XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Latorre
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i

What's up guys! I am hindering on a First-World Problem and could use your educated advise.

I am currently in the market for an X6 my options are as follows.

Both trucks have 35,000 miles on them and are the same price.

1) Dealer Certified Pre-Owned: 2011 BMW X6 35i w/ 20" Sport Package, 20-way seats but no Aluminum side steps, no heads-up display and no vented AC seats

2) Private Seller (2nd Owner) 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid w/ upgraded 19" all-season's and FULLY LOADED.

Which way should I go. They get similar MPG and either way 85% of my driving is in town or commuting 62 miles round trip to NYC.

Thanks Everyone, this is my first post and look forward to hearing back.

-Latorre

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
BimmerX62010
Rep
Drives: X6

Does Fully Loaded Really mean Fully loaded? (So you have the active steering, Sports, Ventilated, Performance Package, Smartphone etc.)

I don't know much about what problems the Hybrid may have (battery and all), but I can't live without my HUD and running boards and other options so I'd go with the 2010 version. The 19" is a bummer but easy to fix
'04 X5 4.4i with staggered 20" #168

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Latorre
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply. The boards for the 35i are $500 (relatively easy upgrade) but the 20" performance tires are sweet and definitely an expensive upgrade if I were to do it on the ActiveHybrid.

The ActiveHybrid is Fully Loaded minus the Sports Package and 20" wheels.

My Delema, the power, is the Turbo V8 really an advantage over the 35i? Also, I'm reading on the threads that BMW does not offer extended warranties on the Hybrid. Is there an third party that does? Thoughts?

This whole ActiveHybrid thing has me on the fence. But the Hybrid sea to give you 50i performance with the decent fuel economy of a 35i.

Thanks!!

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
BimmerX62010
Rep
Drives: X6

If BMW isn't offering an extended warranty that's not a good sign. I bought the Platinum Extended from BMW because the 3rd party ones had quoted north of 10k for the warranty, imagine what it would be for a Hybrid!

The hybrid is more of a head turner and unique (especially with that nice hump on the hood and I think the rims are also non-standard). Tough decision.

^^ Is a good First World Problem to have
'04 X5 4.4i with staggered 20" #168

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Latorre
Private
Rep

Tough decision indeed. I'll all the dealership. If they confirm that they can't offer an extended warranty on the Hybrid system I'm deleting the opportunity and will continue on the hunt for a 35i with AC/Heated Vented seats and HUD. That is a must for a car of this caliber.

Thanks!

If anyone else had any experience with an ActiveHybrid, please share.

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

HUD is OK, but it gives me a headache over long trips. I just turn it off. You can get a very nice set of 20" BMW type aftermarket wheels for about 850 shipped on ebay. That's what I got and they're just fine (so far). But the 19s will probably give you a bit softer ride.

I have a 2010 Hybrid. Honestly, I'm almost inclined to recommend giving up some of the options and power and going with the 35i. However, buy it off a private seller and you'll be able to get a better deal. It took me a while to get used to the hybrid. I still worry about having the car after my warranty expires. How much will it cost to fix this hybrid thing when it breaks? I love it, but I might jump out the first chance I get.

Then again, wait a little bit more and see what the 2014 X4 looks like in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

BTW, how much are they selling you the hybrid for???
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Latorre
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input. By getting use to the Hybrid, do you mean the regenerative breaking?
The hybrid looking at is $50,000. I'm calling BMW tomorrow to see if they offer an extended warranty after I put the final 15k miles on the existing. But from what your telling me, I should hold out and look for a 35i with the vented AC seats and HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

I meant it took me a while to get used to the hybrid system. I guess some BMWs now shut down at traffic lights? I had to get used to that. Everything else seems the same with the exception of the transmission. It's a little different. Why don't you test drive it first and see if you like it? By the way, if you don't like the hybrid feature, you can drive the car in sport mode and it will behave just like a gas powered vehicle. It won't shut off when you stop and you don't get that dragging feeling when you let off the gas.

However, $50k is way to much to pay for that car. Heck, mine only has 25k miles and I would sell it for less than that. Now if you plan on keeping the car for several years, then the 35i might be a more practical choice. The added power of the hybrid is nice to have, but how often will you really use it? Only you know.

As for a warranty on the hybrid, if you could find someone who sells you one, it may be more cost effective just to fix the car if it breaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Latorre
Private
Rep

Rios, Dropping Knowledge! Thanks for the input brother. Your making it tough, but I'm test driving the car later this week, the guy I'm buying it from lives three hours away. I guess I'll have to take the taste test.

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latorre View Post
What's up guys! I am hindering on a First-World Problem and could use your educated advise.

I am currently in the market for an X6 my options are as follows.

Both trucks have 35,000 miles on them and are the same price.

1) Dealer Certified Pre-Owned: 2011 BMW X6 35i w/ 20" Sport Package, 20-way seats but no Aluminum side steps, no heads-up display and no vented AC seats

2) Private Seller (2nd Owner) 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid w/ upgraded 19" all-season's and FULLY LOADED.

Which way should I go. They get similar MPG and either way 85% of my driving is in town or commuting 62 miles round trip to NYC.

Thanks Everyone, this is my first post and look forward to hearing back.

-Latorre
Welcome Latorre!

I think it's fair to say your choice depends on your priorities. From what I gather, the hybrid does have the V8, but is hobbled by the much increased weight, such that I would expect the handling a magnitude worse than the V8, which in turn is worse than the I6, especially considering the 35i you're looking at has the Sport Package. Oh, and I believe the hybrid loses the Dynamic Performance Control (aka torque vectoring) which is the "secret sauce" that allows the X6 to handle like a much smaller, lighter car.

If you don't anticipate throwing the beast around a winding road, you'd probably be fine, but one of the things I personally find most enjoyable about my 35i is going on drives on twisty roads with sportier cars and seeing surprised looks on the owners' faces. Yeah, it has a fat ass. Yeah, that fat ass looks deceptively slow and can still keep up with you. Kinda reminds me of me.

Also, if you're into tuning at all, the 35i engine has a wide range of available tunes. Not sure what if anything is out there for the hybrid. With my Dinan Stage 2, the straight-line gap between my car and the stock V8 is narrowed considerably, plus I have the theoretical advantage of better handling and better mileage. It's a highly compelling combo.

As one final side note, I have been eagerly awaiting the announcement of the X4, which finally came last week. If you don't need the size of the X6, you might want to check that out.

Good luck, and looking forward to writing a congratulatory post!

Last edited by Rygel XXV; 04-08-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Latorre
Private
Rep

Rygel, you and Rios have nudged me in the direction if the 35i. Thanks fellas, I also get that warm fuzzy feeling that a BMW dealership will back the car up and has thoroughly inspected it.
As for the tuning, I haven't had a car that was worth tuning. This may most definitely be my new toy for sure.
Thanks for the heads up on the X4. I'll keep my eyes peeled on that. Any word on the release date??

Thanks everyone!

Latorre

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0