XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

26 people couldn’t answer this question about the X5.....can you?

I have called numerous BMW parts and service departments, gave them the VIN to my car. I have called several glass companies and asked them. I have searched the web and came up with conflicting answers......now its your turn.
The question is......on a 2010 to 2013 BMW X5, the panorama roof is made of what type glass? Laminated or Tempered?

Before you answer.....please be SURE of your answer with some details of how you reached that answer. I have a strong feeling its tempered, but im not 100% sure. I even gave the folks the numbers off the sunroof. E000251, DOT 904, AS3, M513, 43R-000265, PGW 26, E11.
Google was my friend, and I learned a lot about glass. According to most website, this is what it says .....”AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered) and has less than 70% light. The E11 with the circle around it indicates the country that certified the glass/windshield. The DOT code is the letters “DOT” followed by a number that the Department of Transportation assigns to the manufacturer of the glass. The M number is a model number for the piece of glass, which identifies the type of construction. The M number is unique to the manufacturer, so an M number of M513 by one manufacturer could be different than glass labeled as M513 by another manufacturer. It identifies the glass construction, including the color and thickness.”

Someone posted that their X5 panorama roof broke with a gunshot sound and shattered into little pieces. I thought, ok, it must be tempered glass until I read the last sentence from a several glass manufactures websites......”All tempered glass, flat or bent, can experience spontaneous breakage. If broken, tempered glass falls out of it's opening in interlocking clumps. For this reason, we recommend against using tempered glass for glazing above populated areas in commercial buildings and skylights in homes. Tempered glass can, on occasion, break into large shards rather than the classic tiny piece pattern.”

so.... can you answer the question??
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

In those pics of the shattered sunroof, did you see any traces of a plastic layer? There's your answer.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
APLINE_997
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo

Tempered glass(most often) is used due to its high impact resistant properties but can shattered from time to time due to small scorings on the glass from debris or even someone tinting the glass that accidentally scores the glass in small spots. It's under a high tension due to the process of tempering the glass which has lead to the glass actually imploding or bursting into a thousand small pieces. Generally laminated glass, like fronts of windshields, shatter but stay together in a large piece. This is for safety as well.

Just my thoughts. Always thought panoroofs were tempered and windshields were laminated.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
In those pics of the shattered sunroof, did you see any traces of a plastic layer? There's your answer.
Not trying to be a smart ass.. but would you put your life on that answer?

I don't want to look at a picture of someone's shattered roof, see no plastic layer and ASSUME....."oh, there's no plastic layer in there, so mine must be made of tempered glass."

What I want is to be SURE. To take those numbers off the sunroof, match them up with some manufacturer of glass and have someone say, "oh..... this number means that glass is tempered.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLINE_997 View Post
Just my thoughts. Always thought panoroofs were tempered and windshields were laminated.
Those are my thoughts exactly. What made me rethink was the new Ford Fusion and my old Toyota Camry. Although they are not panorama roofs, the glass clearly says Laminated. The Lincoln MKZ has an all glass roof. This roof doesn't vent or open. I heard this was Laminated glass.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I hope you realize laminated and tempered is not mutually exclusive; you can have 2 layers of tempered glass sandwiched with a sheet plastic, thus laminated.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I hope you realize laminated and tempered is not mutually exclusive; you can have 2 layers of tempered glass sandwiched with a sheet plastic, thus laminated.
You are wrong. I have spent the last 2 weeks learning more than I want to know about these 2 types of glasses. They are very much different. This is EXACTLY why I need to know what is on the X5.

BTW.... you are right about having tempered glass sandwiched with a sheet plastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
alextclam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 40i

On the standard features and specs page of their site, it's listed as:

Panoramic moonroof with 2-piece glass panel, power slide and lift control, wind deflector and electric interior sunshade.

If laminated glass = 2 layers of glass between a sheet of plastic then I'd say it's laminated based on their description.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...and_Specs.aspx

Under the comfort and convenience section.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
alextclam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 40i

Nevermind... I'm stupid haha. It was worth a try though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextclam View Post
Nevermind... I'm stupid haha. It was worth a try though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

why do you care so much?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
why do you care so much?
Yes, if it breaks order a new one. Doesn't matter either way. I am with you, I think its tempered but would not bet my life on it or care that much to even know..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
why do you care so much?
I want to tint the sunroof with 3M Crystalline. This stuff is clear and amazing at holding out heat. When it comes to tinting Sunroofs/panorama roofs, you have to be careful. You CAN tint a tempered roof and you CAN tint a Laminated roof, but the laminated roof WILL crack, not the tempered one though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

well give it a try and see what happens... worst case scenario it breaks and you can pay your insurance deductible and get it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

The sunroof probably has some coating already, they don't seem to get as hot as the could. Have you tinted the other windows as that helps a lot. So you could wait and see if the sunroof needs it. This is really only an issue with the car parked anyway, otherwise the ac does a good job.

Two options, one: don't use the film and close the blind. Two: roll the dice and put the film on, it goes on the inside so if the glass shattered for some reason (film may not be the cause!) then glass is held together, and you replace it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

It's tempered with a thin layer of film to hold it together somewhat during an impact. I've broken one at work (cutting someone out) and it was clearly not laminated like the windshield. Hope this helps

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
lounnj
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 x5 E70

Where was the sunroof shot? I want to stay clear of that area
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #18
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fireman View Post
It's tempered with a thin layer of film to hold it together somewhat during an impact. I've broken one at work (cutting someone out) and it was clearly not laminated like the windshield. Hope this helps
It does...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #19
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL350 View Post
The sunroof probably has some coating already, they don't seem to get as hot as the could. Have you tinted the other windows as that helps a lot. So you could wait and see if the sunroof needs it.
Exactly what I did. Now the sides and the front windshield are done. Gonna see if I still need the roof tinted. I want to keep the shade open.
Appreciate 0