XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

All who have extended warranties

I have a 2012 X5 thats 1.5 years old and 13K miles on it. My wife decided she wants the X5 since I'm ordering a 435i next month. We'll hit the 4 years long before we hit the 50K miles factory warranty. We all know about owning BMW's outside of the warranty so I was thinking about an extended warranty. My SA gave me a list of all the available warranties from BMW. What they cover and don't cover, but they all seem very similar in years and mileage with a little variance in deductibles. I searched the forums with no luck, so I was wondering if those with the ext warranties or those who know them well and have used them can tell me which one's are the best buys and cover the most. Or, are they just a money making raquet? Thanks in advance.
      06-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
brian5
Shoot for the moon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

Yes, if you're keeping the X5, the Extended Warranty is worthwhile. All the info is on BMW USA site at that link including the brochure and more.

Plans:
1. Powertrain Plus: Covers major drive train components of the vehicle and offers protection against many major mechanical breakdowns.
2. Gold: All features of Powertrain Plus, with additional coverage of Engine and Fuel System, Cooling System, Transmission, Final Drive Assembly, Steering, ABS, Electrical, Heat & A/C.
3. Platinum: All features of Gold, with additional coverage of Audio and Entertainment Systems and Navigation System (and components of both).

Terms:
5-years/100,000 miles
6-years/100,000 miles
7-years/70,000 miles
7-years/100,000 miles

So there's only 3 plans and 4 term options. I don't think it's complicated. If you have Nav, you want Platinum. All plans all have $50 deductible.

All you have to do is search this forum to see who gives the best pricing on extended warranties. It's probably not your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
lounnj
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 x5 E70

extended warranty is the way to go
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
Yes, if you're keeping the X5, the Extended Warranty is worthwhile. All the info is on BMW USA site at that link including the brochure and more.

Plans:
1. Powertrain Plus: Covers major drive train components of the vehicle and offers protection against many major mechanical breakdowns.
2. Gold: All features of Powertrain Plus, with additional coverage of Engine and Fuel System, Cooling System, Transmission, Final Drive Assembly, Steering, ABS, Electrical, Heat & A/C.
3. Platinum: All features of Gold, with additional coverage of Audio and Entertainment Systems and Navigation System (and components of both).

Terms:
5-years/100,000 miles
6-years/100,000 miles
7-years/70,000 miles
7-years/100,000 miles

So there's only 3 plans and 4 term options. I don't think it's complicated. If you have Nav, you want Platinum. All plans all have $50 deductible.

All you have to do is search this forum to see who gives the best pricing on extended warranties. It's probably not your local dealer.

Thanks for the detailed response!
      06-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
brian5
Shoot for the moon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Thanks for the detailed response!
You're welcome.

For mine, I bought Platinum 7 years / 70K miles as I don't put a lot of miles on it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), the extended warranty covered a number of repairs this year so I'm starting to get my money's worth. My X5 was pretty much problem free for 5 years.

Can't recommend purchasing the "Maintenance Program Upgrade" though. I don't think that there's any way that will be worth it (even if I have brake pad replacement).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

This thread was very informative.
Appreciate 0