XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
texvette
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thought was going to have to get a Range Rover here. Told the salesman no
blacks, No whites, No greys. But located one not in those color spectrums
so got a deal. If waited for a F15 only color would have taken was bronze. Expensive
cars now and no choices.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
fireroasted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Nice choice! The M Sport is a must. What is the $300 BMW inspection? It looks like you bought it from a BMW dealership, why would you have to pay $300 to have it inspected?
Well I didn't buy it from a BMW dealership, but rather a small dealership that bought the car at auction. It had 60k of lease miles on it, and the BMW dealers don't want used ones with that many miles so they pass on them. My concern was to make as sure as possible that there weren't any other hiding issues, so I decided to pay for the inspection. I had the other dealer drop the car off at night, had it fully inspected by BMW so I knew all of the little issues.

That is why the photo is at a BMW dealership. That is literally where I picked the car up myself, then drove to the other dealership and paid for it. It was weird, but totally worth the 300 bucks. Now I also know what to specifically ask for at the first maintenance visit, because it has the 100k maintenance plan as well. So I know it needs oil change, and coolant change.

If you buy it from BMW they do that inspection before they take the cars in to prep for sale. They handle correcting all the little things they find, which I guess could come to over a grand quickly on a 2-3 year old car, so its often pitched as a 1500 dollar value. That all depends, but I do believe the 300 bucks is worth it for piece of mind if not buying from BMW directly.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroasted View Post
Well I didn't buy it from a BMW dealership, but rather a small dealership that bought the car at auction. It had 60k of lease miles on it, and the BMW dealers don't want used ones with that many miles so they pass on them. My concern was to make as sure as possible that there weren't any other hiding issues, so I decided to pay for the inspection. I had the other dealer drop the car off at night, had it fully inspected by BMW so I knew all of the little issues.

That is why the photo is at a BMW dealership. That is literally where I picked the car up myself, then drove to the other dealership and paid for it. It was weird, but totally worth the 300 bucks. Now I also know what to specifically ask for at the first maintenance visit, because it has the 100k maintenance plan as well. So I know it needs oil change, and coolant change.

If you buy it from BMW they do that inspection before they take the cars in to prep for sale. They handle correcting all the little things they find, which I guess could come to over a grand quickly on a 2-3 year old car, so its often pitched as a 1500 dollar value. That all depends, but I do believe the 300 bucks is worth it for piece of mind if not buying from BMW directly.
That is definitely worth it. I saw a 2011 M Sport for sale here at the local BMW dealership, also has 60K miles on it. They are selling it for $39K (an Alpine White one). Bit higher on the miles, but I wonder when they decide to keep a high miler versus passing it on to an auction.

Does yours have a clean Carfax or any signs of bodywork? Did you run a paint thickness gauge on it?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texvette View Post
That boy at Apple Sport sells his cars for way too much money.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #27
fireroasted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
That is definitely worth it. I saw a 2011 M Sport for sale here at the local BMW dealership, also has 60K miles on it. They are selling it for $39K (an Alpine White one). Bit higher on the miles, but I wonder when they decide to keep a high miler versus passing it on to an auction.

Does yours have a clean Carfax or any signs of bodywork? Did you run a paint thickness gauge on it?
It had a clean carfax, but in this industry unfortunately that doesn't mean very much. Many shady dealers have their own repair shops fix everything without reporting it, so it would have to have had something happen that gets reported at the time of incident. From a friend in the used car industry that is also only 50%. yikes. No signs of repair, but I did not do a paint thickness test. That sounds really thorough and very german, but at some point you are buying a 3 year old car, so you have to some degree accept some usedness. I really just wanted to make sure the trans and engine (turbos) were good and checked out, which they seemed to. No major body work or replacements were done, so I will have to take that as none, and be OK with it.

I think 39 at a bimmer dealer for one with M sport is a great deal. At least from my last 2 month of shopping experience. We definitely saw a price reduction in July compared to June. It was very noticeable.

Its tough to know why they pass on them, but my friend said high miles is usually the first thing. Everything in that auction inventory is done based on supply and demand. They have software tools telling them statistics on availability of everything across the entire country, and that determines the values.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It had a clean carfax, but in this industry unfortunately that doesn't mean very much. Many shady dealers have their own repair shops fix everything without reporting it, so it would have to have had something happen that gets reported at the time of incident. From a friend in the used car industry that is also only 50%. yikes. No signs of repair, but I did not do a paint thickness test. That sounds really thorough and very german, but at some point you are buying a 3 year old car, so you have to some degree accept some usedness. I really just wanted to make sure the trans and engine (turbos) were good and checked out, which they seemed to. No major body work or replacements were done, so I will have to take that as none, and be OK with it.

I think 39 at a bimmer dealer for one with M sport is a great deal. At least from my last 2 month of shopping experience. We definitely saw a price reduction in July compared to June. It was very noticeable.

Its tough to know why they pass on them, but my friend said high miles is usually the first thing. Everything in that auction inventory is done based on supply and demand. They have software tools telling them statistics on availability of everything across the entire country, and that determines the values.
When I was looking for my X5, a friend called me (he works at a large dealership) saying he had just gotten a 2011 X5 M Sport in. He gave me the VIN, I ran it and it lookedl like it had all the right options. But the Carfax mentioned that it had been in a MINOR accident. No big deal, I'll check it out. You cannot BELIEVE how haggard this car was. Nevermind they were willing to sell it for $37K, it was awful. You could tell exactly where it had been hit, the inside was torn apart, all the wheels were curbed, one of the dirtiest cars I had ever seen. I gladly paid a bit more for mine, which ended up being CPO also. Well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #29
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Quote:
haha, yeah patient for sure, but I am trying to buy used, which makes it even more difficult. I wasn't thinking of aftermarket, but bmw after the fact. Or just seeing if anyone has done that, or if its even possible. There are a couple of used ones that don't have Nav, and I am wondering if I just don't care (cause I am used to using my phone for that) or if there are other major things missing in that package I will regret.
Nav you can retro fit just set aside $3k. Its probably a base lease special, tons of those ugly rental car looking x5's around town.

If the car doesn't have nav doubt it will have CA, or logic7, or comfort sport seats that can't be installed later.
      09-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #30
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
I love the msport 5.0 need the prices to fall a bit. Debating to retro fit it all onto my diesel since it would be unique in the US.
      09-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
phantommei
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i convertiale

2013 35i, best price
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
bkearney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3

All, Im new to this forum and am looking for some advise on an x5 purchase in the very near future. I just totaled my e36 m3 a couple weeks ago and am very interested in the x5, but im realistically looking for one in the $23-25k range so its looking like a 2008 with 50k miles or so at best. I did 95+% of the work on my m3, so im interested in how DIY friendly these cars are. Additionally, im interested in how they hold up. Seems like a lot of AC issues from the little bit of research ive done thus far, but am I getting into a money pit based on the age/ mileage, or is this a pretty bulletproof vehicle?
thanks in advance for the help....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
texvette
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Maybe what some mean by sluggish is -- I've noticed what seems like a delay when
pulling out unless you really step on it. Sorta like the diesel is spooling up
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #34
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

I too have been weighing many of the same options as you mentioned. I am looking for 2011 35d, seems to be on the money for me.
Appreciate 0