XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Interesting discussion about X6 offroad package!!

If ever. . .

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253383

I second what blitzkrieg79 argues for. . .

I mean why should I own at least two different vehicles to get the fun of both worlds? An X6 for the highway, a Land Rover for mild off-road, and maybe a third one, Smart for crazy urban traffic and parking?! Ok, Smart is just for the size and nimbleness. .

PS: I know some folks made fun of a similar post of mine here, but there are more concerned about this issue. .blitz lives in NJ.

PS2: I mean, BMW can immediately offer an option for pneumatic suspension for both front and rear wheels (like on the Touareg), a 4 Low gearbox mode, and a few more. .Can these be the pizzass that will come down the tube later on?! I truly hope so,.. .otherwise, I don't get the point about the X6 in that test on you tube going down on a bank and not flipping over. This car has amazing stability. .why keep it just for the mild banking on highways and some twisties?!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
If ever. . .

I mean why should I own at least two different vehicles to get the fun of both worlds? An X6 for the highway, a Land Rover for mild off-road, and maybe a third one, Smart for crazy urban traffic and parking?! Ok, Smart is just for the size and nimbleness. .

PS: I know some folks made fun of a similar post of mine here, but there are more concerned about this issue. .blitz lives in NJ.

PS2: I mean, BMW can immediately offer an option for pneumatic suspension for both front and rear wheels (like on the Touareg), a 4 Low gearbox mode, and a few more. .Can these be the pizzass that will come down the tube later on?! I truly hope so,.. .otherwise, I don't get the point about the X6 in that test on you tube going down on a bank and not flipping over. This car has amazing stability. .why keep it just for the mild banking on highways and some twisties?!
I highly doubt that this is a priority for BMW to turn the X6 into a 'real' off-roading vehicle. Maybe some aftermarket company will come up with some sort of off-roading package. I don't think that BMW will, it's a numbers thing and I don't think there are enough people out there that would want to take their BMW off-roading. Just my 2-cents worth.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I was not talking about serious off-roading. But I am sure one day, some X6 owners living in the mountains, and having to drive from the highway to their mountain cabin on an unpaved, muddy/snowy, rather steep road will go mental why the X6 got stuck in the mud and snow, with all that X drive stuff. I mean, come on guys, why Touareg and not BMW?! If you are on top, why not offer the most? It doesn't cost them zillions in more R&D. . They already got the knowledge. . .the only roadblock is their own corporate culture and infatuation. . .don't mind that. .it's natural, at that level. . but. .anyway. .everybody else (Merc, Vw, Porsche) already came up with offroad packages, , and them. .neah. . .why bother. . .bad attitude.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was not talking about serious off-roading. But I am sure one day, some X6 owners living in the mountains, and having to drive from the highway to their mountain cabin on an unpaved, muddy/snowy, rather steep road will go mental why the X6 got stuck in the mud and snow, with all that X drive stuff. I mean, come on guys, why Touareg and not BMW?! If you are on top, why not offer the most? It doesn't cost them zillions in more R&D. . They already got the knowledge. . .the only roadblock is their own corporate culture and infatuation. . .don't mind that. .it's natural, at that level. . but. .anyway. .everybody else (Merc, Vw, Porsche) already came up with offroad packages, , and them. .neah. . .why bother. . .bad attitude.
I'm sure that BMW does enough market research to know what their customers are looking for in their BMWluxury vehicles and what not. So I think if the numbers show say 90% of customers are looking for a more comfy ride or better cup holders or whatever, but only 1% are looking for off-roading capabilities, it's pretty clear where they will be spending their R&D time, effort and money. I'm sure if they had enough inquiries for off-roading and or their market research numbers would show that more people would be interested and actually buy an off-road option, they would have such an option for their X family by now!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

So why Touareg, Mercedes and Cayenne makers came up with packages like that?? Just for the 1%?!!? I heard that BMW offered the off-road package for the X5. Tell me if I am wrong. .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

SUVs came up just because this market research. That owners of real off-road vehicles use their off-road vehicle 99% of the time, . .on the highway. But now, after more than 5 years of SUVs. . . .maybe they realized that, . .they should have kept some off-road capabilities on. . just for that 1-2-10 percent of the time. . Why Touareg came up recently with the new versions of Touareg Mountain and Adventure?! Maybe there's something about it. . We cannot just trash the research of VW. . .especially when they consider off-road packages for their premium gizmo, the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I believe there is a market for a rugged offroad vehicle.

But then there are folks like me who want mild offroad use, snow, trails, etc. But still want a luxury car, good handling, etc.

The X6 can tow bikes, boats, trailers, etc. or cruise you to the store or a snow infested cabin.

I think it is a nice all around vehicle. Before the X6 I was looking at X5's. But in the end I like the more snug interior with better styling and seating and feeling that I am drive a sport sedan and not a bulbus SUV.
      09-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

"But then there are folks like me who want mild offroad use, snow, trails, etc. But still want a luxury car, good handling, etc."

I guess there are many more folks like u (and me) that want that, too. .And Merc, Touareg, Cayenne, got the point. Hope that BMW will join the gang, soon.

PS: Blitzkrieg from NJ on bimmers got a a real great point. . .the X6 looks like the Dakar Pajero. . so maybe there's something about it. .you never can understand the subtleties of corporate strategy.

PS2: I really, sincerely, want in December 2008 to see an X6 mark its debut at the Dakar Rally 2009. I think it will be a big step forward for BMW. . .after all these years of hesitation. Touareg did it. . .stumbled a bit in the first sessions, but got so seriously better in off-roading. .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So why Touareg, Mercedes and Cayenne makers came up with packages like that?? Just for the 1%?!!? I heard that BMW offered the off-road package for the X5. Tell me if I am wrong. .
Your wrong. At one point (a few years back) they had an air suspension option I think. That's all. Not a full blown off-road package!

As for the other car manufacturers, they probably set out with an off-road option in mind and designed it like that. However, how many cars do you think come configured with that option and of those cars that are sold with that option, how many of them actually REALLY take their car off the road through mud, gravel, sand, etc ????

I'd be surprised if that figure would come out to even 1% of each car manufacturer for each off-road capable model!

Anyway, if you really are so hung up on this entire off-road business, why don't you go and buy a MB, Porsche or VW, since they seem to have what you are looking for?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
"But then there are folks like me who want mild offroad use, snow, trails, etc. But still want a luxury car, good handling, etc."

I guess there are many more folks like u (and me) that want that, too. .And Merc, Touareg, Cayenne, got the point. Hope that BMW will join the gang, soon.
Who knows, maybe they will one of these days. But I doubt that they will take a car like the X6 which is tuned for HIGHWAY driving (and with the announcement of an M version this is even more evident), and make it into an off-road vehicle. Again, maybe they'll release a xRoad3.5i or something like that, but I highly doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
If ever. . .

You might want to look at this you tube video (
), I think this pretty much takes care of folks going to their mountain cabin.

As far as off roading most high dollar (>$40k) 4 wheel drive cars/trucks never see any off road, well not much more than shown in the video.
Also in the US if you trash you car going off road good luck trying to collect from your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I know dmlgc, even here in Romania, the insurance agents are scooping for sand particles on the belly of cars. . If they find them they start: Ahaaaaa, you've been offroading, mister!! This is so wrong! You are so fucking guilty!!! You bad dog!! Now watch what's your repair bill skyrockets to!!! Fuck them. . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know dmlgc, even here in Romania, the insurance agents are scooping for sand particles on the belly of cars. . If they find them they start: Ahaaaaa, you've been offroading, mister!! This is so wrong! You are so fucking guilty!!! You bad dog!! Now watch what's your repair bill skyrockets to!!! Fuck them. . . .
Wow you guys have it tough, our insurance guys aren't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Wow you guys have it tough, our insurance guys aren't that bad.
some dollar bills will cut off that attitude. .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #15
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

[QUOTE=akraptor;3341141]some dollar bills will cut off that attitude. .[/QUute

HE HE HE...this is why i love Balkan!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

I will never buy X6 for serious offroad,but if someone likes let him be.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would not buy any BMW to go off roading, friend of mine has X5 and Audi Q7.
For off roading (serious rock crawling,playing in the mud) he has an old pop top K5 blazer.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I would not buy any BMW to go off roading, friend of mine has X5 and Audi Q7.
For off roading (serious rock crawling,playing in the mud) he has an old pop top K5 blazer.
Yes,that is a clever choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Deda, don't tell me it's you in the avatar pic.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

No,i am not..its was one of the best actors from ex YU..this is my hommage to him.
Appreciate 0