XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

Angry Almost picked up my new 50i today

Vehicle has three indentations on the rear left door, almost as if someone had pushed the tip of a fork into the paint. The sales manager ran it over to two different body shops, neither of which "have the equipment to fix something that minor". So they told me they would take it to another body shop tomorrow and then call me when the vehicle was ready. I have a sinking feeling that the repair for this is going to involve painting the entire door, and that instead of doing this they are going to offer a discount. Anyone have any ideas of how you fix indentations in paint without repainting? Can you wet sand?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Depends on how bad it is - I had a small scratch on my 35i on the rear fender when I collected it - was bad but not bad enough to warrant having the factory paint seal broken (avoid at all costs if you can). They buffed it out instead and although I can still find it if I look carefully, I guess it is only because I know it's there and where to look.

Cheers, Anteater.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Depends on how bad it is - I had a small scratch on my 35i on the rear fender when I collected it - was bad but not bad enough to warrant having the factory paint seal broken (avoid at all costs if you can). They buffed it out instead and although I can still find it if I look carefully, I guess it is only because I know it's there and where to look.

Cheers, Anteater.
Unfortunately, these scratches are right above the door handle, and would be seen on a daily basis. I'm concerned because if it were something as simple as buffing, wouldn't one of the first two body shops have been able to do that?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Unfortunately, these scratches are right above the door handle, and would be seen on a daily basis. I'm concerned because if it were something as simple as buffing, wouldn't one of the first two body shops have been able to do that?
Hopefully it can be fixed by paintless dent removal.

Most bodyshops get an outside person to come in and do that so that might explain why the body shops couldn't do it.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Make complain,ask for discount and if you see scratch on daylight dont pick up car and dont sign any paper that says everything was clear with car!!
Because it is not..
This is a big problem,ask them to fix it by any cost.
Try to make a photo and say that you are going to publish in your local newspaper.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
lonely_dxb83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

just complain and dont even take the car and tell them you dont pay alot and at the end I got car with damage!! I think you can get new one cause its your right,,
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Well, I'm supposed to go back today, as the scratches have apparently been fixed. I'm going to have to check out the rearview camera, as the display screen had lines going through it when I tried to use it on Tuesday. Of course, it was looking back into the sun, so these may have been glare lines.
Appreciate 0