XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Another One Bites the Dust-Hug Your Flat Six

Not a Porsche Forum but relevant to my past engine rants.The sky is falling.....RIP my engine friend Thanks. PalBay http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...our/#more-7086
      09-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
x5mmm
!
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 4.8i

at least I owned the 10 cylinders M5 and the V8 M3 and soon the 5.0i x6 hahahaha I think 10 years from now we are going to missing those engines on new cars !!

we can still buy old cars then-2020-, right ?:P
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

WTF hell no!!!!!

Hmm, why not just add flat fours, rather than replace the flat sixes altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Not a Porsche Forum but relevant to my past engine rants.The sky is falling.....RIP my engine friend [/url]
What about the wonderful sound of the flat six then

Hope BMW won't follow suit, with a BMW X6 4 cylinder..., oh to bad the planned hybrid is the first one to come..

The next one a BMW X6 xdrive 1.6 tt ??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Not a Porsche Forum but relevant to my past engine rants.The sky is falling.....RIP my engine friend Thanks. PalBay http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...our/#more-7086
It may not be the end of the world, I had a really sweet (again, showing my age) '84 944 with a 2.5 liter 4 in it...
http://vista.pca.org/stl/944.htm
Cheers! -ad
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodahn View Post
It may not be the end of the world, I had a really sweet (again, showing my age) '84 944 with a 2.5 liter 4 in it...
http://vista.pca.org/stl/944.htm
Cheers! -ad
Small Turbo 4 bangers are not bad...my ( Audi 2.0L Turbo 4).They just will not work on a 5,000 lb X6.They WILL work on the "Transportation Appliances" that we are all going to be driving in a few short years.I hate to see all these classic sports car engines die a slow death.I'm passing the hat for my museum!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      09-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

I don't share the pessimism.

After every oil shock the pundits predict the demise of big powerful engines, and yet what do we have today? -- some of the largest, most powerful engines in history. Oil is dropping below $100 again, possibly down to $80. In time (ha!) gas at the pumps will catch up (down?) and be back under $3 a gallon. Also, as the green religion starts to become more sensible and science-based, pressure to arbitrarily make everything smaller and more fuel efficient will abate somewhat, just as the madness of the 55 MPH speed limit only lasted a few years (for those who are old enough to remember).

We'll still have Ferraris. We'll still have X6-like vehicles. Thanks to technology, they will be lighter, more fuel efficient, and more expensive. Thanks to exploring and drilling technology, oil will still be plentiful 100 years from now -- heck, there's enough of the stuff a few hundred km north of me to keep North America in oil for almost that long, and that doesn't take into account the vast reserves that have not yet been discovered but that statistically must exist.

Don't invest too much in that museum just yet, Palbay!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
I don't share the pessimism.

After every oil shock the pundits predict the demise of big powerful engines, and yet what do we have today? -- some of the largest, most powerful engines in history. Oil is dropping below $100 again, possibly down to $80. In time (ha!) gas at the pumps will catch up (down?) and be back under $3 a gallon. Also, as the green religion starts to become more sensible and science-based, pressure to arbitrarily make everything smaller and more fuel efficient will abate somewhat, just as the madness of the 55 MPH speed limit only lasted a few years (for those who are old enough to remember).

We'll still have Ferraris. We'll still have X6-like vehicles. Thanks to technology, they will be lighter, more fuel efficient, and more expensive. Thanks to exploring and drilling technology, oil will still be plentiful 100 years from now -- heck, there's enough of the stuff a few hundred km north of me to keep North America in oil for almost that long, and that doesn't take into account the vast reserves that have not yet been discovered but that statistically must exist.

Don't invest too much in that museum just yet, Palbay!
I absolutely hope and pray your right!!!! The Greens are as vocal as they ever have been....coupled w/ $100+ a barrel oil.Just makes for a toxic and sometimes....seemingly..... fatal combination for the true sports car enthusiast/companies.I understand BMW has some neat things up their sleeve......maintaining "the Ultimate Driving Machine" and get reasonable gas MPG.I just hope they can deliver w/o it costing $300k to get our hands on the cars we love to drive and not break the bank!!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      09-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Palbay , go to decaf.
I suspect as time goes on each manufacturer will produce a range of cars with lower end having less HP (talking traditional higher end cars here). For a lot of people the 1 series doesn't need to be a 6. A lot of people buy the car because of the emblem on the hood with no idea what's under it.

On the other hand if BMW could make a 4 or 6 (assume turbo for each cylinder or something) that produced the the same HP and torque and performed the same as my 50i I would have no problem buying it.

Tree huggers generally annoy me for their unrealistic view of the world but car manufacturers improving gas mileage is a good thing. The 4.4 TT8 produces more HP than the current 4.8 X5,smaller is not necessarily a bad thing.

I concur on many of the points made by SD. Not many of us would buy a Porche or BMW that can be out performed by a Prius.

Just my 2¢

Last edited by dmlgc; 09-10-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I agree with SD as well. For the most part, it's all hot air and no substance. Of course, things will change as they always do and without this kind of pressure, the car companies wouldn't spend as much money as they do to develop new engines and propulsion technologies.

IMO, adding hybrid technology is a good thing. For example: there is (or at least was, not sure since I haven't checked it out in over a year) a small US based manufacturer that builds a two passenger car (one in front of the other). The car is 100% electric and comes in a kit you can assemble yourself in about 8 hours. The car has the ability to accelerate from standstill to 100km/h in under 4 seconds!!!
Electric motors can have REALLY high torque output (e.g. 1000lb-ft). So add that to an X6 and you can possibly have a REALLY sweet ride!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

http://www.teslamotors.com/
The Tesla Roadster is capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in about four seconds. many on the waiting list including California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's all electric but expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I agree with SD as well. For the most part, it's all hot air and no substance. Of course, things will change as they always do and without this kind of pressure, the car companies wouldn't spend as much money as they do to develop new engines and propulsion technologies.

IMO, adding hybrid technology is a good thing. For example: there is (or at least was, not sure since I haven't checked it out in over a year) a small US based manufacturer that builds a two passenger car (one in front of the other). The car is 100% electric and comes in a kit you can assemble yourself in about 8 hours. The car has the ability to accelerate from standstill to 100km/h in under 4 seconds!!!
Electric motors can have REALLY high torque output (e.g. 1000lb-ft). So add that to an X6 and you can possibly have a REALLY sweet ride!
I wish I were as optimistic as you guys about the future of motoring.And I'm a very optimistic guy in general...except about this subject.I just see many holes in the dam.I personally can't get fired up about all electric.Maybe the driving experience can be packaged to replicate an ICE....but I think the jury is still out on that one.I saw an episode of Supercars on Speed.The host drove a Tesla ( I think..whatever it was,it was all electric).Complete silence as he drove the car....just not the experience I'm looking for in a Sports Car.But maybe that's what the Sports Car Police will make us all drive.I sure hope not.Smaller and lighter...I guess that's where we are heading.Maybe there is a rabbit to be pulled out the hat in the not so distant future.A combination of electric/gas might be a short term answer.The dual mode hybrid like BMW is working on is a start.But like Chuck pointed out somewhere on this Forum...you go from a 20MPG car to a 24-25MPG car.Not going to put the Middle East out of business w/ those MPG numbers.They help someone like me that drives alot of miles...but not a game changer in the Save the World/Save the Oceans/Save the Rainforest world we live in.I'm not sure where we go from here.......enough from me.....I need another cup of coffee!!!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      09-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OK PalBay since you are determined to be depressed about this here is something that will make you think things aren't so bad or you will point to it as making your point.

Get a copy of the movie the "Last Chase" with Lee Majors and Burgess Meredith.
short youtube trailers:

"In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. A phantom jet must catch and destroy the last car left on earth. Lee Majors is a race car driver in a future where mass transit no longer exists and must now travel around and preach the 'evils' of the automobile ".

Now before you go off the deep end watch the movie to the end....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
OK PalBay since you are determined to be depressed about this here is something that will make you think things aren't so bad or you will point to it as making your point.

Get a copy of the movie the "Last Chase" with Lee Majors and Burgess Meredith.
short youtube trailers:

"In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. A phantom jet must catch and destroy the last car left on earth. Lee Majors is a race car driver in a future where mass transit no longer exists and must now travel around and preach the 'evils' of the automobile ".

Now before you go off the deep end watch the movie to the end....
Kool......Thanks for the links.I'm not going to worry to much about it anymore.I'll just drive whatever is available.........even if it's a solar powered,hydrogen backup,plug in overnight charge......Smart Car for one!!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      09-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kool......Thanks for the links.I'm not going to worry to much about it anymore.I'll just drive whatever is available.........even if it's a solar powered,hydrogen backup,plug in overnight charge......Smart Car for one!!!!! Thanks! PalBay
whoa dude don't swing too far the other way , a smart car NOT.
remember you have to be on the road with folks that do everything but pay attention to driving. My driving philosophy is "my life is worth more than a few miles per gallon".

Besides you're a bimmer guy think big , nuclear powered.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

I could not help myself.My son and I have attended the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta for the last 6 years. Coming up next weekend!!! Father, son thing....great exotic cars and engines and the most fan friendly racing series around.Can get up close and personal w/ the cars.Guess I'll need to put a V10/V12 soundtrack in my ipod This green stuff is killing me!!! Less noise!!!! This is Auto Racing!!!!! Thanks! PalBay http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...&rssfeed=rss01
      09-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Have a nice trip,and enjoy with your son! mine will be born in March!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Have a nice trip,and enjoy with your son! mine will be born in March!
Congrats on your forthcoming new addition!!!! Changes you in many wonderful ways! Thanks! PalBay
      09-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Congrats on your forthcoming new addition!!!! Changes you in many wonderful ways! Thanks! PalBay
+1
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Thank you boys,you are the best!
Appreciate 0