XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
pers785
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

LED Welcome headlights problem

Been noticing this weird quirk over the past couple weeks. My car usually has "welcome" lights when you press the unlock button on the fob, and its been working flawlessly until the past couple weeks. Now it seems to go for days without having the LED halos turn on until the car is turned on, and then go back to normal and turning on with the unlock button. I've checked the settings to confirm I have "welcome" lights feature turned on.

Possibly related, I've noticed the comfort access on the door handles acting funny as well over the same period of time. It sometimes does not recognize my hand to unlock the doors, and when that happens, I go to turn on the car, and get a "high battery discharge" warning on the dash. I've read that this could be a problem with one of the sensors on the door handle, leading to increased battery drainage overnight.

Not sure if the two are related, but just strange that they've both been occurring over the past couple weeks. Get out of my car you gremlins!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

I had exactly same symptoms, first was welcome light (halos) then comfort access didn't work then had "Battery drain" message soon after, it's battery, you probably need a new battery or try to charge it.
Car is turning off those functions as battery level goes down, I've heard in order to work all those functions - welcome lights/ CA mode, battery has to be at 80% or above, if it's under 80% - car starts to turn off those mode to conserve as much as possible.
After I got new battery, everything is working fine as should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Sorry, I should have broken this up to avoid confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
I had exactly same symptoms, first was welcome light (halos) then comfort access didn't work then had "Battery drain" message soon after, it's battery, you probably need a new battery or try to charge it.
Car is turning off those functions as battery level goes down, I've heard in order to work all those functions - welcome lights/ CA mode, battery has to be at 80% or above, if it's under 80% - car starts to turn off those mode to conserve as much as possible.
After I got new battery, everything is working fine as should be.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers785 View Post
Been noticing this weird quirk over the past couple weeks. My car usually has "welcome" lights when you press the unlock button on the fob, and its been working flawlessly until the past couple weeks. Now it seems to go for days without having the LED halos turn on until the car is turned on, and then go back to normal and turning on with the unlock button. I've checked the settings to confirm I have "welcome" lights feature turned on.

Possibly related, I've noticed the comfort access on the door handles acting funny as well over the same period of time. It sometimes does not recognize my hand to unlock the doors, and when that happens, I go to turn on the car, and get a "high battery discharge" warning on the dash. I've read that this could be a problem with one of the sensors on the door handle, leading to increased battery drainage overnight.

Not sure if the two are related, but just strange that they've both been occurring over the past couple weeks. Get out of my car you gremlins!!
"High Battery Drain" is usually attributed to issues with the CAS. "High Battery Discharge" is usually due to a faulty battery. Have your battery checked before anything else.

Last edited by mirob; 01-25-2018 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Confusion
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Sorry, I meant "High Battery Discharge" not "Battery drain"
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      01-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

This was the first symptom when my battery died. I would highly recommend that you start the replacement process. I would also charge it overnight too to extend it out.
Appreciate 1
Naz241627.50