XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

X6 Stolen this week.

I wonder if it had the BMW alarm system. I already contacted the friend of the misfortunate who's been robbed, three weeks after buying it, to ask him for more details.

PS: I have a friend who owns a second hand X5, and tried to install an after-market alarm system, I think it was a Viper. The car couldn't be started after installation. I guess the alarm people messed up some wires there. .Is it that hard to install an aftermarket alarm on an X?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Like everyone else in the U.S. I have assist which has vehicle location ability in the event of theft.

However, my dealer installed lojack at cost as well. According to my dealer and Lojack, the assist antenna is in the shark fin and thieves know they can whack it off thereby disabling assist.

I am not sure if the shark fin story is the truth, but for a couple hundred dollars I need not worry about it.

Of course one could argue if your car is stolen would you want it back.
      09-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Like everyone else in the U.S. I have assist which has vehicle location ability in the event of theft.

However, my dealer installed lojack at cost as well. According to my dealer and Lojack, the assist antenna is in the shark fin and thieves know they can whack it off thereby disabling assist.

I am not sure if the shark fin story is the truth, but for a couple hundred dollars I need not worry about it.

Of course one could argue if your car is stolen would you want it back.
That is true. BMW Assist tracks the vehicles thru a signal sent out thru the shark fin and by removing this it will render the BMW Assist vehicle tracking useless which is why it is a good idea to install Lojack if you are truly worried about theft of your vehicle. Lojack is the best theft protection location device
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Ok, forget the fin. Maybe the car thieves also read this forum (or similar). What do you think about GPS tracking alarms?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Ok, forget the fin. Maybe the car thieves also read this forum (or similar). What do you think about GPS tracking alarms?
I think they are cool. I have basic LoJack. But you can upgrade to the service that pages you if the car is moved. It is almost double the price though.
      09-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Well, I know it's not cool to look that desperate about your brand new expensive car, but folks around use this device:

https://www.ragingspeed.co.uk/catalo...roducts_id=497

Or, even worse, (if you live close to a high crime area)

You just remove your car battery and take it indoor. But, this is such a pain, day to day.

PS: Well, this is all useless if the fuckers bring in a towing truck. . It happened here.

A garage is always such a heaven.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

The dealer is going to install a Boomerang 2 tracking system in my 50i when it finally gets here. I specified it as one of the additional options when I ordered my car.

http://www.boomerangtracking.com/
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Or you just pull off the cables from ignition. If that's easier to do, or cheaper, than else.

BTW, there was an Italian inventor some years ago, that came up with a device that prevents steeling your car. .by making yr steering wheel rotate free of the wheels. . simple and genial. .don't know if he got a patent for that, or howstuffworks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Or you just pull off the cables from ignition. If that's easier to do, or cheaper, than else.

BTW, there was an Italian inventor some years ago, that came up with a device that prevents steeling your car. .by making yr steering wheel rotate free of the wheels. . simple and genial. .don't know if he got a patent for that, or howstuffworks.
Interesting, however if those bastards use a tow truck, your still no better off
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I wonder if you couldn't just hide a GPS cell phone in the car...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I wonder if you couldn't just hide a GPS cell phone in the car...
That's an interesting idea, however if they decide to bring the car into an underground garage or hide the car in a container, forget the GPS location feature as this will no longer work. You may still be able to triangulate (well actually the phone company might be able to do this for you), however the accuracy of pinpointing your cars location goes out the window. With cell tower triangulation, if you are lucky, you might get down to 100m accuracy (highly dependent on the equipment used in each cell tower).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Nonsense,there is no chance that new BMW CAN BE STOLEN!!!!
I know that and that is 100 % sure!
Only possibility is that someone left his key in his car or if heist is in deal with owner,to get money from insurance.
Akraptor,your frined dont speak true!!

Only modell that was possible to steal was older version x5,because protection sotware was stolen from BMW factory.

The new BMW x6 or any other BMW modell CAN NOT BE STOLEN!

it only can be put on truck or traler,but software cannot be broken!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

alarm dont protect your car,it is zero protection,if you are dealing with professional theif..the only thing that can protect your car is Mul-T-Lock! or GPS to locate the stolen car,before theif remove GPS protection.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I know, I know Deda, about all you say. .but hey, we both live in countries with very creative thieves. . ..Tell me, is the X6 coming with three ignition keys?!? I have three keys for my Mazda 6, two in my possesion, and got the third one back from the leasing company, after the lease expired. .

PS: Man, I want to come to gorgeous Dubrovnik, next year. . Dreamed about visiting that place, the past 2 years, for holydays.

PS2; I need a couple of days more to find out how that X6 was stolen. . .I got some hints, but need more details, before disclosure.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #15
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Yeah,unfotunately,you know the situation!

I think that you get all 3 keys..thing about leasing is good to think about!!there maybe possibility,but i think that you deposit only door opening key,that is not coded,so you can get into car,but you can not start it...but not 100%!

1)To all members,welcome to Dubrovnik,but prices are astronomic..belive me!!

2)Can wait to hear what happend!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Well, I know it's not cool to look that desperate about your brand new expensive car, but folks around use this device:

https://www.ragingspeed.co.uk/catalo...roducts_id=497

Or, even worse, (if you live close to a high crime area)

You just remove your car battery and take it indoor. But, this is such a pain, day to day.

PS: Well, this is all useless if the fuckers bring in a towing truck. . It happened here.

A garage is always such a heaven.

In the US steering wheel locks have become useless , our clever thieves just cut the steering wheel and remove the lock. Only thing that seems to work as far as recovery (at least according to my friends who are cops or CHiPs) is LoJack.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Well. finally, some news. The sellers of the car (some crooks) duplicated one of the keys before selling it. They sold the car to somebody for much less than official price. Then, they stole the car. The owner tracked them down and negotiated with them the release of the hostage (more $$$$$$). Don't know if the man got his car back. Maybe he should have shot them dead straight at first negotiation round. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #18
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

well,that make sense..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #19
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Smile

Quote:
There was an Italian inventor some years ago, that came up with a device that prevents steeling your car. .by making yr steering wheel rotate free of the wheels. . simple and genial. .don't know if he got a patent for that, or howstuffworks.
Hope the device doesn't make your steering wheel rotate freely when driving

I would never dare to install such a system !
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
Christiaan
Rep
Drives: Benz E AMG, X5 2008 4.8i Loade

what country is this inn?
Appreciate 0