XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Shenker
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Sapphire Black

New Member; Magic SpoolBus X5M

Hello All,

Long time lurker, just joined as I am finally a BMW owner again after a leave of absence to attend post secondary.

Hope to exchange some useful information with everyone here! seems like a friendly community!

Without further ado, I recently picked up a 2012 Black Sapphire Metallic X5M w/ Executive Package, and Carbon Fiber Trim. after looking at them and researching for nearly a year, I found one at a local Chevrolet dealer they had taken on trade in fairly clean condition, and for a SMOKING deal as they didn't want it on their lot. hummed and hawwed on it for a few nights, took it for a test drive, and picked it up the next day. 2000km later and I love it! Its a bit higher on the mileage at 135,000 KM (83,000mi) however it drives very solid, and with the exception of a couple small issues ill iron out as time progresses I am so far fairly happy with my purchase. Although I didn't intend on purchasing this one until fall or winter, this was the EXACT colour combo I was after.

So, as a project goes, the aptly named Magic SpoolBus project begins! I plan on doing some mods, nothing too crazy but I am looking at some KW V.3 Coilovers, Catless downpipes, Muffler delete or modification of the stock one, 22" wheels of some kind, and some aesthetic touches (namely tint/smoked tails, blackout signals, black roundels/emblems, splitter). However for right now it is as stock as they come, and is showing its 135K for sure, I plan on a full cut and polish this summer to refresh the paint. It also has some curb rash on one of the wheels, but they'll make good winter wheels for our Canadian winters anyway.

In the meantime, I'm looking for suggestions on a code reader or diagnostic system that I can do most of the work myself on this unit (i'm looking into learning some of the general coding for things like injector changes and what not). I do have an indy shop that will do any work that is beyond my scope, however I do enjoy working on my own equipment.

Last edited by Shenker; 07-27-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
DrftJnkies
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

Very nice. Congrats on the purchase!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Congrats! Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of info on your planned mods here...though I haven't seen much in the way of legit coding. Most use Carly for basic stuff and then an actual shop for maintenance coding. If you do a general search you will find a lot on other forums. Ive always been too chicken to get a program and cable...worried I'll jack something up.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 03:52 AM   #4
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Thanks! I was looking at Carly as well, may pick it up here if I cant find something else that will work well. Was looking into a cable/software from BCables.com, but am going to do a bit more research.

On another note, I called my local BMW dealership as I found a letter in the console about the front drive shaft recall causing possible front driveshaft vibration, which strangely enough, right around 112kmh - 114kmh (70mph) there is a slight vibration from the front, and I am eligible for the the new driveshaft and airbag. hopefully that's the cause of it, it does feel very drive line oriented. Anything I should know ahead of time in regards to getting that done? Parts are back ordered from Germany so they said I could be waiting for a while for it. Should I be holding off on long road trips? I've seen some nasty pictures of it when it goes, although I was planning a trip to Idaho here in a couple weeks and was planning on taking it.
      07-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenker View Post
Thanks! I was looking at Carly as well, may pick it up here if I cant find something else that will work well. Was looking into a cable/software from BCables.com, but am going to do a bit more research.

On another note, I called my local BMW dealership as I found a letter in the console about the front drive shaft recall causing possible front driveshaft vibration, which strangely enough, right around 112kmh - 114kmh (70mph) there is a slight vibration from the front, and I am eligible for the the new driveshaft and airbag. hopefully that's the cause of it, it does feel very drive line oriented. Anything I should know ahead of time in regards to getting that done? Parts are back ordered from Germany so they said I could be waiting for a while for it. Should I be holding off on long road trips? I've seen some nasty pictures of it when it goes, although I was planning a trip to Idaho here in a couple weeks and was planning on taking it.
4 Days to ship from ECS for the driveshaft

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/26208605866/

You can inspect the driveshaft by just looking underneath the truck and grabbing it.

It is really up to you to take the risk - I was worried about driving my truck anywhere before I got the driveshaft replaced. On the plus side if the driveshaft does go you could likely end up with a new engine, transmission etc so pros and cons

Replacement is simple and just involves lifting the truck unbolting, removing and putting the new one back on. It took the dealer about 45 minutes when I took my truck in and 10 of that was the tech telling my advisor how I've rigged up my exhaust with straight pipes, gutted cats and a CEL and wondering how I passed inspection

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:52 AM   #6
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Appreciate the info! I didn't realize it was that simple, id read somewhere that there is an oil pan and to get to the upper seal, the driveshaft runs through it and I assumed that was it, and it would be super involved. I really have to get this thing on a lift and take a good look at everything.

I'll hold off on the ECS one however, the free shipping is only to the US, id imagine it would nearly double the cost to ship a driveshaft to Canada. Ill call my dealer and see if they've got and idea of when it will be in.

Ill also confirm that if it blows and takes everything with it if i'm covered under the recall (all warranty is obviously expired at 137k now). If that's the case ill chance a new driveline on them haha. being stuck possibly stateside would be the only con I can foresee in that situation.
      07-31-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
congrats and welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Congrats and welcome as most have said already Carly has helped me along the way so it might be something useful for yourself. I believe others also utilize INPA give or take.

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Congrats, I really like X5's and how unique they are. Maybe only rivaled by the Porsche Cayenne, I don't think the MB is in the handling or performance category we are, unless they are AMG'ing it up

Isn't the driveshaft recall still going? You could take your M over ASAP if your worried about it, if they have parts in stock they'll fix it quickly, if they don't you'll get a loaner and be on your way.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Congrats!
More pictures please! (We love pictures)
It's a heck of a car with lots of potential. If you are wanting to uprade your wheels, I have a really nice set of ADVs in the owner classifieds
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys! Im still researching all kinds of code readers, think im going to settle on carly for now and as time goes on and I need more functionality ill order a bcable.com cable or similar.

Good news is I just came back from about a 1800km (1100ish mi?) trip down through ID and WA this week and had no issues minus a check engine code on hard acceleration on the way down, have had it before, restart and it goes away, i have a feeling its either an O2 sensor/something emissions related, or some shotty quality fuel that it really didn't like on boost. Might also need an alignment but im going to hold off until I get the new driveshaft and new tires on in a few months to see if its perhaps something in there.

Gixxer ill definitely take a look, although id imagine shipping those bad boys to me in Alberta would be absurdly expensive.
      08-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

The Magic Spoolbus now that is an epic name!!

Congrats on the car man sweet ride!
Pure Stage 2 Turbos / JB4 / BPM tuned / Catless DPs / PTP Turbo Blanket / RK Intkakes / Eisnemann Sport / M Performance lip / IND Blackout / KWV3 Coilovers / MV Forged ML10 / Pirelli Pzeros / LED Headlights
Appreciate 1
Doctor///M1789.00
      10-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #13
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Been a while on the updates, absolutely loving every minute of this thing, im pretty tired of people asking me about it and how a 21 year old affords it though . Hard work pays off I suppose.

Since i've last updated I got some black style 214's used from a local fellow with winters at 70% for some winter beaters, i've always had a soft spot for these wheels and im glad I found a set, i'm considering having them refinished professionally and using them for "beater" wheels once I get a set of "good" wheels.

I also got full tint applied, I know this is hit and miss with a lot of people but I think it looks absolutely stunning on an all black vehicle. went with 20% on the fronts, and also over the rear factory tint, as well as tail lights.

also added a custom euro plate from www.germanplates.com.

This is probably the last update as far as work until spring, at which point i'm planning on exhaust work and coils.

10-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Quote:
Been a while on the updates, absolutely loving every minute of this thing, im pretty tired of people asking me about it and how a 21 year old affords it though . Hard work pays off I suppose.

Since i've last updated I got some black style 214's used from a local fellow with winters at 70% for some winter beaters, i've always had a soft spot for these wheels and im glad I found a set, i'm considering having them refinished professionally and using them for "beater" wheels once I get a set of "good" wheels.

I also got full tint applied, I know this is hit and miss with a lot of people but I think it looks absolutely stunning on an all black vehicle. went with 20% on the fronts, and also over the rear factory tint, as well as tail lights.

This is probably the last update as far as work until spring, at which point i'm planning on exhaust work and coils.

Personally I say job well done on this beauty, I like black on black so you've done it right. Keep it up man!

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:

Looking good, not a fan of the europlate but everything else is clean.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Some love it, some hate it. i'm still mixed on it myself, if nothing else it will make a great shop wall piece. it doesn't help that the picture is poor quality, I promise the color and general look of it is 10 fold this in person/in a good photo.

car guys that understand what the X5M is under the hood typically get a chuckle, but i've had to explain it countless amounts of times to people.
Naz241627.50
      10-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Some love it, some hate it. i'm still mixed on it myself, if nothing else it will make a great shop wall piece. it doesn't help that the picture is poor quality, I promise the color and general look of it is 10 fold this in person/in a good photo.

car guys that understand what the X5M is under the hood typically get a chuckle, but i've had to explain it countless amounts of times to people.
To each their own. I'm never one to chastise someone for their taste!

Enjoy it dude, these cars are absolute beasts.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0