XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

Best RPM to shift in N55 35i engine

Which will accelerate the car faster in full throttle?

Shifting in Manual mode or leaving it in automatic (S mode)?

I use Manual mode if I wanna go fast usually I shift at around 5800-6000 rpm, cause most of the times "S" mode tend to stay on high RPMs for too long and wont shift until it hits 7000 RPM which would take a while

From what I've read online (correct me if I'm wrong), N55 engine produces peak HP at 5800 rpm and peak torque at 5000 rpm.

So in "S" mode, why does the car need to hit the redline before it shifts? Is it really necessary to shift at redline (7000rpm) to accelerate faster?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
black-box
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xD35 (1998 M3 RIP)

Just a thought, but consider the HP and torque in the next gear after the shift. Look at the HP/torque curves generated by the engine. By holding the gear longer (near peak HP), you start the next gear further up the HP/torque curves. For an automatic transmission, I'd just put it in sport mode and leave it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-box View Post
Just a thought, but consider the HP and torque in the next gear after the shift. Look at the HP/torque curves generated by the engine. By holding the gear longer (near peak HP), you start the next gear further up the HP/torque curves. For an automatic transmission, I'd just put it in sport mode and leave it.
What he said.
Appreciate 0