XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Anyone using non RFT tires in 20' wheels

Since the roads here in Costa Rica are getting worse every day, I'm seriously thinking in buying a second set of tires for my spare 20' wheels set but regular tires.
I will use the non RFT's on the dry season where you can see the potholes and leave the RFT's for the rainy season.

Any feedback regarding the experience using regular tires on 20's will be appreciated, some people say that regular tires for such a heavy truck will not "hold" as well as RFT's when hard cornering, but honestly I'm kind of tired of feeling the whole road at all times.
      11-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

I'm running the Nitto Motivo's on my 20's.. I am very happy with them.. Road noise reduction and vibration are down 70%. True the RFT's have a stiffer sidewall but I only go fast in a straight line who the hell is cornering at 60mph in their 5000lb X anyway! Maybe some of you but not me...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

The conti DWS can provide the best of both worlds for the x5m.

I put them on my E90 M3 last year as I still wanting to drive the car in the cooler months in Boston, MA. Could not believe the grip they provided especially with the car having an ESS600 kit on it.

I ended up putting them on the X5M as well and it has made a world of a difference to the handling and ride comfort.

For where you live OP these are going to be a great option. I believe Michelin has an all season high performance tire as well. Can't comment on it, but I'm sure they are amazing
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

I drive rft in ny all year around and its been now over 2yrs++
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX6 View Post
I'm running the Nitto Motivo's on my 20's.. I am very happy with them.. Road noise reduction and vibration are down 70%. True the RFT's have a stiffer sidewall but I only go fast in a straight line who the hell is cornering at 60mph in their 5000lb X anyway! Maybe some of you but not me...
Thanks for your feedback, I do make some hard cornering any now and then, so it is not a concern for me, I will give up some grip and trade it for some ride comfort, the good thing is that I do have a spare wheel set, so RFT will be a great choice for rainy season mostly becuase usually you don't get to see potholes in wet roads (it pours here in winter) and the oposite on the summer or dry season.
      11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
The conti DWS can provide the best of both worlds for the x5m.

I put them on my E90 M3 last year as I still wanting to drive the car in the cooler months in Boston, MA. Could not believe the grip they provided especially with the car having an ESS600 kit on it.

I ended up putting them on the X5M as well and it has made a world of a difference to the handling and ride comfort.

For where you live OP these are going to be a great option. I believe Michelin has an all season high performance tire as well. Can't comment on it, but I'm sure they are amazing
Thanks for your response, will do some research on Tire Rack to see which is a good option for me, I usually look for a high treadware reading between 380 and 420 range, grip is not at the top of my list since we have no streets to develop all the power my car has, so ride comfort will be my #1 choice now, its been 2 and a half years riding on RFT's and a change will be appreciated I think.....
      11-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Thanks for your response, will do some research on Tire Rack to see which is a good option for me, I usually look for a high treadware reading between 380 and 420 range, grip is not at the top of my list since we have no streets to develop all the power my car has, so ride comfort will be my #1 choice now, its been 2 and a half years riding on RFT's and a change will be appreciated I think.....
Looking forward to hearing what tires you go with.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
MaX6
Private
Rep

From a wear rating the Motivo's have a UTQG 560 rating..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From a wear rating the Motivo's have a UTQG 560 rating..
Thanks!
But UTQG 560 seems to me too high, probably the grip for this tire is very low and very dangerous in wet conditions.
I found the Toyo Proxes STII with a nice thread design and the UTQG reading is 420AA which is great for my needs.
I love Toyo's, they usually are great tires at a great value, same as Cooper's but Cooper Tire does not make the sizes I need.

Last edited by motex; 11-04-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
rodell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

I use Toyo Proxes II on the 20" wheels and it am quite satisfied with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
MaX6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!
But UTQG 560 seems to me too high, probably the grip for this tire is very low and very dangerous in wet conditions.
I found the Toyo Proxes STII with a nice thread design and the UTQG reading is 420AA which is great for my needs.
I love Toyo's, they usually are great tires at a great value, same as Cooper's but Cooper Tire does not make the sizes I need.
Not trying to start a tire brand war here.. Many good quality tire options out there... But keep in mind tire tread pattern dictates wet grip far more than tire composition. on dry pavement its just the opposite - its all about composition. I'm not drinking the Nitto koolaide and know there are several quality non-RFT tires for the X... I have a set of Michelins on my X5 and very happy with them.. But the Motivo's are not "dangerous" or "slippery" in the rain.. They are highly rated all season/wet traction tire.. The fact they have a 560 rating is icing on the cake knowing your not swapping these tires out every 15k miles...

Check out the road test performance test by Motortrend here - http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ivo_tire_test/

Here's another article from an independant reviewer who ran Toyo Proxes than swapped them for the Motiovo's and wrote up a review - http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-...vo-review.html
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

For those of you who now run a non-RFT, what do you use as a spare? As a matter of fact, if you do get the BMW available spare, what would the hub size be, as on the X5m the front and rears are different, so do they supply a hub ring?
      11-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
MaX6
Private
Rep

Its been so long since I have had a flat tire - literarly 15+ years that I no longer am concerned about it.... Now I define a flat as no airpressure stuck on the side of the road... I have had nails or tire punctures but nothing that has got me stranded... The typical nail in the tire scenario causes a very slow tire leak - and usually will not cause the stranded scenario.. I keep an air compressor and tire repair kit in my X5 if I needed to help my wife of one of my kids out of a jam - but after 7 years of doing that without a single event I lean towards the "call triple AAA" soluton for the rare instance when you would get stranded... just my opinion on the subject -
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not trying to start a tire brand war here.. Many good quality tire options out there... But keep in mind tire tread pattern dictates wet grip far more than tire composition. on dry pavement its just the opposite - its all about composition. I'm not drinking the Nitto koolaide and know there are several quality non-RFT tires for the X... I have a set of Michelins on my X5 and very happy with them.. But the Motivo's are not "dangerous" or "slippery" in the rain.. They are highly rated all season/wet traction tire.. The fact they have a 560 rating is icing on the cake knowing your not swapping these tires out every 15k miles...

Check out the road test performance test by Motortrend here - http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ivo_tire_test/

Here's another article from an independant reviewer who ran Toyo Proxes than swapped them for the Motiovo's and wrote up a review - http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-...vo-review.html
Thats a great feedback from you which I thank you, here we do get 8-9 months of rain per year, anyhow I will read your links and will get back to you with my comments.
I did read the links you sent me, the Toyo Proxes they are talking about are not even close to the one's I want to buy, they are talking about a factory installed Toyo A20 on a Lexus, the Proxes I want to buy are the ST2 which have an agressive rain thread and the reviews all over are also great, usually I do a lot of research before buying tires, and never got a bad one from Toyo Proxes ST1 and ST2, so I think I'm going to choose those tires, check the picture below...

Last edited by motex; 11-08-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
MaX6
Private
Rep

I like their tread pattern and profile.. I'm sure they will serve you well
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Quote:
Thats a great feedback from you which I thank you, here we do get 8-9 months of rain per year, anyhow I will read your links and will get back to you with my comments.
I did read the links you sent me, the Toyo Proxes they are talking about are not even close to the one's I want to buy, they are talking about a factory installed Toyo A20 on a Lexus, the Proxes I want to buy are the ST2 which have an agressive rain thread and the reviews all over are also great, usually I do a lot of research before buying tires, and never got a bad one from Toyo Proxes ST1 and ST2, so I think I'm going to choose those tires, check the picture below...

I like that tread pattern.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Its very nice and looks even better in person, I bought a set last year but trade it for RFT so I never got the chance to use it, as for the price is great, $175 fronts and $211 rears with an XL load rating
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodell
I use Toyo Proxes II on the 20" wheels and it am quite satisfied with them.
That's great to have someone in the forum using this tires!
Here a few questions.......
How about road noise?
I have read some reviews over the internet and a few talk about road noise......
How about grip on wet conditions?
Any plus and cons will be great before I make my mind
Thanks in advance
Bernie
      11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
rodell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

Quote:
How about road noise?
I have read some reviews over the internet and a few talk about road noise......
Thanks in advance
Bernie
I've driven them about 8,000 miles at this point.

I can't compare them in road noise to anything else except to say that I don't find it objectionable and I hate road noise. They definitely don't sing.

Grip is good. I live in a sometimes wet climate and have had no trouble with them at all. I haven't (yet!) driven them in the snow. I may switch to snow tires anyway, to get some bite in the rear instead of the 315 "sleds".

Handling is good - I tend to drive in a "spirited" manner and I'm very satisfied. I am impressed with how well they do on such a heavy vehicle. (My other ride is an SLK AMG, so I can "push" things.)

There's really no cons. When I bought the car it needed new tires, and I had to pick one with only internet research for the dealer to install. As I mentioned, I'm satisfied with them. There may be better but these suit me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
hj826
Rep
Drives: X6

I just moved from 19" RFT's to 20" Continental DWS, and the ride quality has improved significantly! I strongly suggest you go with DWS since they are performance all season tires. I am very pleased with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodell
Quote:
How about road noise?
Thanks in advance
Bernie
I've driven them about 8,000 miles at this point.

I can't compare them in road noise to anything else except to say that I don't find it objectionable and I hate road noise. They definitely don't sing.

Grip is good. I live in a sometimes wet climate and have had no trouble with them at all. I haven't (yet!) driven them in the snow. I may switch to snow tires anyway, to get some bite in the rear instead of the 315 "sleds".

Handling is good - I tend to drive in a "spirited" manner and I'm very satisfied. I am impressed with how well they do on such a heavy vehicle. (My other ride is an SLK AMG, so I can "push" things.)

There's really no cons. When I bought the car it needed new tires, and I had to pick one with only internet research for the dealer to install. As I mentioned, I'm satisfied with them. There may be better but these suit me.
The highway portion I drive daily to work is about 5 miles, so probably will never notice if they are noisy or not, price wise they are a great choice for spare tires set
Thanks a lot for your post!
      11-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hj826
I just moved from 19" RFT's to 20" Continental DWS, and the ride quality has improved significantly! I strongly suggest you go with DWS since they are performance all season tires. I am very pleased with them.
Had Conti's before and dont like them so much also cost locally is almost double against Toyo's ST2
Tks for your feedback