XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
seseng1987
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6

Question X6 Anti-theft alarm system

What is X6 anti-theft alarm system and lock system?
What kind of alarm system is good for anti-theft? (brand name,model, etc) ty,all
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

GPS Boomerang systems are very good. . I read that Lo Jack purchased Boomerang of Canada recently. Doesn't matter where you parked your car, close to home or a mile away, or thousands of miles away (yes, no kidding) if the alarm goes off on your car, you get an SMS on your mobile, and right after a call from your baby (the X6) where a voice tells you that your shock sensor went off. . You can also do all kind of things directly from your phone keypad: Turn the alarm off/on, kill the engine if car is stolen, even from hundreds of miles away. If GPS is not available, you may still get the cel signal, or viceversa. A regular alarm pager, of a similar price, is out of range after a few hundred yards. With this system you can be in Vancouver and have your car in Mexico City, and if stolen, you just kill the engine, thousands of miles away, just by sending an SMS to the cel card in your car. The system calls you, worldwide!! You can have your car in Paris, locked by your phone in London, and if friend and family needs a car in Paris, just call him/her to get to the car's location, you unlock the doors from London on your mobile, and tell the person he can get the car key from the secret location in the car!

Plus, you can open the car with your mobile if u forgot the car key inside, and the doors auto-locked ( no need to break the window anymore), you can raise the windows from your balcony at the hotel, or put the top on your cabrio from inside the jacuzzi!! You can turn the engine on and heating. . but that's already old news.

And it doesn't interfere at all with the BMW original alarm.

At least 6-7 X6 owners here installed this system on their cars.

In the package you also get a Garmin 2 GB micro-memory card which allows you to track the car on your mobile, if stolen.

Also, you can register your system with the police and/or security company, who get the same call as you do, if shit happens.

I think you cannot ask for more than that!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Is a system like that expensive? Do you have to pay monthly for the monitoring?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Can you post a link with some more info on this system? Sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezo86 View Post
Is a system like that expensive? Do you have to pay monthly for the monitoring?
The price here for the whole combo is about 980 Euros (19% VAT included) . .but it should be less on your continent. You also need to buy a sim card (the least expensive one) from your mobile company. . it's about 3 Euros here/month. .plus the cost of sms-es. Here the biggest security company in Romania will launch the private car monitoring program soon. I don't know what rates you get there for residence monitoring, and don't know what these guys will charge here for cars. . but it should be ok. . .it's worth it. . especially in these times when we need more protection. Thefts from cars, of cars, and thefts from residences increased 50% in the past three months over here. . so. . it's a small world, after all.

Oh, and they offer a few more options of which one bugged me. .The Boomerang people asked me to provide an extra phone number for a kidnapping situation. huh??! me in the trunk of my own car, taken away?!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Can you post a link with some more info on this system? Sounds interesting.
I have to check with the owner of the company here, tomorrow, if they have an english page or if Boomerang Canada is the same company as the local company.

PS: Even if your car is lifted with a crane magnet and stowed on a truck, so we assume the alarm doesn't go off (strange case, but possible if sensors are at a minimum) you are still buzzed by the system that your car IS MOVING!!!
You'll get either in sms format or through the Garmin map the trip of your car on various roads or through different states, or from one cell area to another. I am not sure about the GPS, GPRS or GSM signal inside the cargo zone of an 18 wheeler but anyhow. . when they'll unload it. . you'll get the location on your phone map.

Plus, just in case somebody cloned your key/remote control, the thief will not be able to get off with your car, unless it provides a password. . that you know. .and he doesn't .

PS2: It can be installed on boats, too. Plus you can spy on your wife and kids whereabouts.

Last edited by akraptor; 02-18-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Talked to my friend at the BMW dealership and told him that my alarm goes off every time some kid with sporty exhaust or a junky truck passes by. . and he told me that I am the first client that says that the BMW alarm is so sensible. . .he said that other clients said that they don't have any sensitivity in their alarms' shock sensor. Now that I get sms-es every time the shock sensor goes off. .for no harm. . I decided to park my panzer a bit away from main road.
Appreciate 0