XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Tire pressure unit.

Have you notice that you can set the unit for tire pressure in the i drive?
Under the selection units you can change from mph to km... farenheit or celsius.
You can also change tire pressure setting from psi to bar etc... But why?
I mean where can i see the tire pressure in X6?
      02-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
UK_X6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5i

It was explained to me that this feature does not work quite as you expect.

Instead of there being a sensor in the tyres, it is all based on the speed of revolution of the tyre.

You “activate” the feature in Idrive and the car takes a reading of how the tyres spin, then keeps an eye on each reading for each tyre.

If the speed of revolution then changes on a wheel, you get the warning as the tyre is possibly going flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_X6 View Post
It was explained to me that this feature does not work quite as you expect.

Instead of there being a sensor in the tyres, it is all based on the speed of revolution of the tyre.

You “activate” the feature in Idrive and the car takes a reading of how the tyres spin, then keeps an eye on each reading for each tyre.

If the speed of revolution then changes on a wheel, you get the warning as the tyre is possibly going flat.
Yea i also been told so.
But i try to figure out why they let you set the type of unit psi, bar etc.

I mean the only thing you will get when it changes pressure is a warnig that tells you to check the pressure... (atleast it was how my X5 did)
      02-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
UK_X6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5i

That is a VERY good point
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

that's very bizzare. . why bother putting this option on I-drive (change from psi to bar) if the computer cannot monitor any real change in tire pressure?! Great point about measuring that from revolutions of wheels, but not sure that is it. .

I can test this. .in standing mode. . I can stop by a tire shop and deflate the tire a bit, and see if the I-drive notices it. That should clear the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

There are 2 different systems for tire monitoring. FTM and TPM. Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) is the older technology which uses uneven wheel rotation to determine you have a flat tire. Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) uses actual pressure sensors in each wheel to measure actual tire pressure.

When the TPM system was first unveiled in the 7 Series (the current model, not the one just introduced) it actually showed the actual tire pressure in numbers. However, this confused drivers especially when tires got hot from driving and pressure increased. So BMW decided to not show the actual pressure, but just show when there was a drop in pressure which would indicate a flat.

In the US starting I believe in 2007 new cars by law require tire pressure monitoring systems.

When I took delivery of my 2009 X6 I was really looking forward to seeing the actual pressure at each tire, but unfortunately they don't appear to show it anymore. I don't know if non-US cars are the same. Probably, given what's been said so far in this thread.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by apollner; 02-25-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
Flat Time Monitor (FTM) is the older technology which uses ...
I think you meant to say Flat Tire Monitor

... or maybe the next technology BMW is going to add/invent is BTM (Bumpy Time Monitor) ... The car will let you know when bumpy times are ahead, just hope it's an early warning system
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I think you meant to say Flat Tire Monitor

... or maybe the next technology BMW is going to add/invent is BTM (Bumpy Time Monitor) ... The car will let you know when bumpy times are ahead, just hope it's an early warning system
Thanks! I fixed the typo, but I like BTM, or how about PTM (Performance Time Monitor) for how much time we spend driving in "performance" mode? After all, we could have bought any other brand if we just wanted to drive sedately!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Does anyone know if there are tire pressure sensors on the X6?! I checked the tire function in the I-Drive today and couldn't see anything else that the function is "active".
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
srle
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 330Cd

hallo folks!

i have TPM in my US spec X6 here in europe. there is some difference between euro and US spec cars. euro spec cars have FTM - flat tire monitor that works trough ABS sensor, but US cars use TPM. in i-drive you can see weather presure is ok or not, but you can't see exact presure in each tire. kinda stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Does anyone know if there are tire pressure sensors on the X6?! I checked the tire function in the I-Drive today and couldn't see anything else that the function is "active".
I just explained this above.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
oh yes,we have tpms sensors...look in manual!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
srle
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 330Cd

euro spec cars should not have TPM sensors in tires according to BMW dealer here in czech republic.
Appreciate 0