XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #23
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Friend from local dealer told me that components, jacks, software are different for the
American market. Turned the engine on first time on my X6 at the showroom, and the IDrive booted in about 2 seconds. Put it in reverse, and camera loaded almost instantly. . true there was a light flicker in the image, but after cleaning up dirt from lens it got better. . not perfect, but close. Of course, brakes squeaked, but car stayed outdoor in the snow for a week.

hum wonder why non US market would get different software.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
hum wonder why non US market would get different software.
Not sure if it's related to the much higher price tag in Europe..10-20k $ more.. . .overall, nor for the damn camera. Anyway, it should be interesting if owners of gasoline models share the same issues about gizmos with diesel owners (only made for Europe and all other countries).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Friend from local dealer told me that components, jacks, software are different for the
American market. Turned the engine on first time on my X6 at the showroom, and the IDrive booted in about 2 seconds. Put it in reverse, and camera loaded almost instantly. . true there was a light flicker in the image, but after cleaning up dirt from lens it got better. . not perfect, but close. Of course, brakes squeaked, but car stayed outdoor in the snow for a week.
iDrive boots very fast without Navigiation which is responsible for most of the boot time. Do you have Nav?, Sat Radio? iPOD? Bluetooth? All these options increase boot time.

Also, if the car was previously started within about 20 min, the computer is not fully shut down yet.
      01-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #26
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I only have the bluetooth option. No need for nav. or sat music. I have a separate navigation sys. that I already use on my other cars. Now, even a PC boots for a longer period of time if a lot of programs are loaded into the resident memory. Maybe the Idrive processor needs more time when more features are added. If Bill Gates himself couldn't figure out the slow boot, why would BMW?

I have a Sony Nav-U system that is not that a quick booter either. The waste of time is not coming mainly from the boot up (but it adds to total time) but from hooking with the sattelites. If my location is not that optimal for sat. signal receiving, I have to wait even more than 3 minutes to have the nav sys operational. Maybe the actual Idrive doesn't want to show the initial display before having all features loaded. .and that's a bummer. . . bummer bimmer . Maybe they should have coded a message that pops on the screen saying "system will be alive in a few minutes" I think BMW should have made an Idrive that loads the basic stuff right away. .like reverse camera. . and inform the driver that sat nav is waiting for sat signal. . .let the driver use the Idrive right away, for backing up and starting the music, and let the damn sattelites load later. .come on, you don't need 6 sattelites to get off your driveway onto the main road.

Last edited by akraptor; 01-13-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #27
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
I only have the bluetooth option. No need for nav. or sat music. I have a separate navigation sys. that I already use on my other cars. Now, even a PC boots for a longer period of time if a lot of programs are loaded in the resident memory. Maybe the Idrive processor needs more time when more features are added. If Bill Gates couldn't figure out the slow boot, why would BMW?
BMW, Apple, Microsoft, UNIX, etc. the more apps and drivers installed, the longer the boot time. Common knowledge.
      01-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
BMW, Apple, Microsoft, UNIX, etc. the more apps and drivers installed, the longer the boot time. Common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #29
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I think on average, the car 'sees' 9 GPS satellites. It tells you how many it currently sees in the diagnostic screen in the iDrive system.

I don't think that the satellite signal acquisition takes that long as the system needs to load the data after it has acquired the position and if you listen and watch closely, it is the loading of the data that takes so frigging long. Sometimes, you can actually watch the system load bits and pieces of the map data and display it part by part on the screen. Often enough I have seen the screen come up in a pinkish kind of color (why they picked that color as a start up color, I don't know) and then slowly fill in the streets, ponds, etc and street names are usually the last thing they add.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #30
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I think on average, the car 'sees' 9 GPS satellites. It tells you how many it currently sees in the diagnostic screen in the iDrive system.

I don't think that the satellite signal acquisition takes that long as the system needs to load the data after it has acquired the position and if you listen and watch closely, it is the loading of the data that takes so frigging long. Sometimes, you can actually watch the system load bits and pieces of the map data and display it part by part on the screen. Often enough I have seen the screen come up in a pinkish kind of color (why they picked that color as a start up color, I don't know) and then slowly fill in the streets, ponds, etc and street names are usually the last thing they add.
Because pink is gay color, =

so when anything doesn't really work (computer wise) it should look pink.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #31
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
I only have the bluetooth option. No need for nav. or sat music. I have a separate navigation sys. that I already use on my other cars. Now, even a PC boots for a longer period of time if a lot of programs are loaded into the resident memory. Maybe the Idrive processor needs more time when more features are added. If Bill Gates himself couldn't figure out the slow boot, why would BMW?

I have a Sony Nav-U system that is not that a quick booter either. The waste of time is not coming mainly from the boot up (but it adds to total time) but from hooking with the sattelites. If my location is not that optimal for sat. signal receiving, I have to wait even more than 3 minutes to have the nav sys operational. Maybe the actual Idrive doesn't want to show the initial display before having all features loaded. .and that's a bummer. . . bummer bimmer . Maybe they should have coded a message that pops on the screen saying "system will be alive in a few minutes" I think BMW should have made an Idrive that loads the basic stuff right away. .like reverse camera. . and inform the driver that sat nav is waiting for sat signal. . .let the driver use the Idrive right away, for backing up and starting the music, and let the damn sattelites load later. .come on, you don't need 6 sattelites to get off your driveway onto the main road.
i think same.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #32
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Funny, I have Nav, premium pkg, etc. but not remote key (I have to put my key in the ignition). Yesterday first time in the car in the AM, I timed the boot. The backup video was fully available in 8 seconds. My 35i dates back to May. You guys are making me afraid to get a SW update.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #33
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Funny, I have Nav, premium pkg, etc. but not remote key (I have to put my key in the ignition). Yesterday first time in the car in the AM, I timed the boot. The backup video was fully available in 8 seconds. My 35i dates back to May. You guys are making me afraid to get a SW update.
As we said, the boot time cannot be compared unless folks state all the options they have.

Also note, the boot time starts as soon as any door/hatch is unlock via remote or locally. Not when the key is inserted or engine started.

Fully optioned, the iDrive takes approx.28 seconds. If you unlock the car via remote 30 feet away and take 20 seconds to to get in and start, you would only have 8 seconds left.

After the car is turned off, the compute ris still live for several mintutes, so the test cannot be repeated for a while.
      01-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The car was in the garage, wasn't locked, and had been undisturbed for hours. The first clue it had I was there was when I opened the door I counted time from when I put the key in the ignition and pressed the start button so maybe you should add a second or two. Next time I'll press unlock as soon as I open the garage door and it should be ready by the time I get in.

My options are premium pkg, premium sound pkg, sport pkg, multi-contour seats, technology pkg, auto tailgate, which includes NAV.

Perhaps the 28 secs you quote is a worst case figure and typical can be significantly better.

Does it matter where the Idrive was left - e.g. NAV screen vs idle? I pop my into reverse immediately to back out of the garage so its trying to bring up the rear view camera almost from the start.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #35
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The 28 seconds chuck quoted is the 'worst case' condition (based on user feedback on this forum).

You will notice that the iDrive system will take different amounts of time depending on what was used on it last (before you turned off your car). It also depends on if you have a music CD in the CD player or put a CD with compressed music files in the drive (e.g. MP3s). The system will try and read the directory structure and other bits and pieces.
There are a LOT of factors that will influence how long it takes for the system to boot up. For now, be happy if your system boots up this fast, it may or may not stay that way!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #36
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
The 28 seconds chuck quoted is the 'worst case' condition (based on user feedback on this forum).

You will notice that the iDrive system will take different amounts of time depending on what was used on it last (before you turned off your car). It also depends on if you have a music CD in the CD player or put a CD with compressed music files in the drive (e.g. MP3s). The system will try and read the directory structure and other bits and pieces.
There are a LOT of factors that will influence how long it takes for the system to boot up. For now, be happy if your system boots up this fast, it may or may not stay that way!
Agreed. Also keep in mind, the the system is not fully ready for a while. I am not sure of the boot order, but the last items to load and work are the Bluetooth for the phone and voice commands which take a couple minutes past what appears to be iDrive completely loaded.

I have learned that if I think I need the cam I unlock with remote far away. If I don't I get in and drive.

I do know it is impoossible to see anything on the cam for at least 10 seconds as this is the timeout for the accept screen to go away.
      01-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #37
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That explains the variance in reports I think. What I find more annoying than the camera issues is that its not able to play my IPOD until I'm a mile or so down the road and it always starts with the same song, one which isn't my favorite.

As to the backup light issue that I brought up, there is plenty of light back there but its not aimed at the road surface so there is little reflection for the camera to pick up. I do believe however that if there were something in back that you were in danger of hitting, the light would reflect off it and you would see it in the camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
That explains the variance in reports I think. What I find more annoying than the camera issues is that its not able to play my IPOD until I'm a mile or so down the road and it always starts with the same song, one which isn't my favorite.

As to the backup light issue that I brought up, there is plenty of light back there but its not aimed at the road surface so there is little reflection for the camera to pick up. I do believe however that if there were something in back that you were in danger of hitting, the light would reflect off it and you would see it in the camera.
Why don't you try your theory and report back... Just use something 'soft' to backup to...

Just remember, we are NOT responsible for what might happen
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #39
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK, I tried to validate my theory. I was going to ask you to come over to be that soft target but there really isn't any risk with PDC. My conclusion is that if I mount a 100W flood light up under the eaves of my garage I'll be able to use the backup camera backing out of the garage at night.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #40
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

i Drive delays

I suspect Navigation system running from dvd disc, is the cause of delay to idrive start. Should take the disc out to see if system will skip the nav system & boot up faster.
Next idrive w/ hard drive should boot faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #41
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

My IDrive starts fast (ok, no nav, no sat radio). Crappy screen , as known. I cannot remember guys what u said about how to pan the camera. .I see my rear bumper on a 1/3 of my screen.
Appreciate 0