XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

Closed Thread

02-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

I'm outta here -- so long guys!

My ML550 is due to be delivered in a couple of weeks, so I will have officially cut my ties with the X6.

I had planned to stick around and lurk on this board occasionally, but an incident a couple of days ago has turned me off the idea. Many of you no doubt saw akraptor's recent profanity-laced tirade against Israel and its army, followed by his equally profane claim that anybody who didn't agree with his position was (I forget his exact words) a shallow idiot. Even though I found his posts extremely offensive, I ignored them, assuming they would be deleted. They weren't, so I posted a reply that said (in total) "This isn't the place for a political discussion, but I would remind you that there are always two sides to every story..." and I followed that with a reproduction of Michael Ramirez' editorial cartoon from the conservative Investor's Business Daily on January 12 of this year. (30 seconds with Google will take you to the cartoon if you care.) The cartoon lampoons Hamas -- a political party -- and its insistence on firing rockets at Israel despite Israel's massive and disproportionate response. Like many editorial cartoons, it makes its point humorously and more eloquently than most of us can do with words.

Shortly afterwards I received an email from Mark, the board's admin, assessing me ten points (whatever that means!) and giving the reason as "racism". Well you can accuse me of many things, but racism is most emphatically NOT one of them. I am totally color blind when it comes to race, beliefs, and life styles. I can only assume that Mark found the cartoon racist, but I cannot imagine how or why. It uses a laboratory scenario to make a point in a witty and artistic way. It is no more racist than would be any political cartoon lampooning Republicans or Democrats in the US. Is it right wing? Yes. Is it political? Yes. But is it racist? No way.

I asked Mark for an apology. I have not received one. Until I do, I'm outta here. I cannot in conscience participate in a forum whose moderator can make such offensive claims without reason. I have enjoyed the past year, and I have enjoyed joining with you all in our affection for BMW's envelope-stretching X6. I'll miss you. Too bad.

Sayonara!

-- SD

Last edited by Suzie's Dad; 02-09-2009 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Wrong date for cartoon
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
My ML550 is due to be delivered in a couple of weeks, so I will have officially cut my ties with the X6.

I had planned to stick around and lurk on this board occasionally, but an incident a couple of days ago has turned me off the idea. Many of you no doubt saw akraptor's recent profanity-laced tirade against Israel and its army, followed by his equally profane claim that anybody who didn't agree with his position was (I forget his exact words) a shallow idiot. Even though I found his posts extremely offensive, I ignored them, assuming they would be deleted. They weren't, so I posted a reply that said (in total) "This isn't the place for a political discussion, but I would remind you that there are always two sides to every story..." and I followed that with a reproduction of Michael Ramirez' editorial cartoon from the conservative Investor's Business Daily on January 22 of this year. (30 seconds with Google will take you to the cartoon if you care.) The cartoon lampoons Hamas -- a political party -- and its insistence on firing rockets at Israel despite Israel's massive and disproportionate response. Like many editorial cartoons, it makes its point humorously and more eloquently than most of us can do with words.

Shortly afterwards I received an email from Mark, the board's admin, assessing me ten points (whatever that means!) and giving the reason as "racism". Well you can accuse me of many things, but racism is most emphatically NOT one of them. I am totally color blind when it comes to race, beliefs, and life styles. I can only assume that Mark found the cartoon racist, but I cannot imagine how or why. It uses a laboratory scenario to make a point in a witty and artistic way. It is no more racist than would be any political cartoon lampooning Republicans or Democrats in the US. Is it right wing? Yes. Is it political? Yes. But is it racist? No way.

I asked Mark for an apology. I have not received one. Until I do, I'm outta here. I cannot in conscience participate in a forum whose moderator can make such offensive claims without reason. I have enjoyed the past year, and I have enjoyed joining with you all in our affection for BMW's envelope-stretching X6. I'll miss you. Too bad.

Sayonara!

-- SD
Sorry too see you go under such cirumstances, prohaps Acraptor did not mean to offend I am not up to speed with the thread so can;t give an honest opinion on it, I have found "You" though very constructive in your replies, good luck with the new Car and your life in future.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I am familiar with SD and Akraptor and frankly wondered why the admins hadn't pulled the plug on akraptor not only for the post vile post mentioned by SD but for his many other vile posts (I usually ended up unsubscribing from any thread he starts posting in).

I will be waiting for a post from the admins explaining their position, in particular why they have let akraptor run amok. If they don't think they have to explain then I will have to consider bailing.

Last edited by dmlgc; 02-08-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I am familiar with SD and Akraptor and frankly wondered why the admins hadn't pulled the plug on akraptor not only for the post vile post mentioned by SD but for his many other vile posts (I usually ended up unsubscribing from any thread he starts posting in).

I will be waiting for a post from the admins explaining their position, in particular why they have let akraptor run amok. If they don't think they have to explain then I will have to consider bailing.
+1. Sorry to see you go. I would rather see someone else go instead of you and I think we all know who I am referring to.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

I have enjoyed reading your comments and posts too,
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Ma n you dont have to go because of one man!! We are a lot here who respects everybody's opinion!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
Ma n you dont have to go because of one man!! We are a lot here who respects everybody's opinion!!
+1 yeah just because one person is ignorant dont judge us all!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

SD,sorry to hear man! im gonna miss you and your comments!

i hope you will change your mind and come back with new pics of you ML 550!!

i dont know what was going on,when or where? i mean in which section? anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
+1 If you keep running away from boards because of an off color post, you will be running the rest of your life.

This is a car forum for gosh sakes, folks need to chill out.

If someone posts something you don't like, you can ignore it.

Last edited by chuck92103; 02-09-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:

I had planned to stick around and lurk on this board occasionally, but an incident a couple of days ago has turned me off the idea. Many of you no doubt saw akraptor's recent profanity-laced tirade against Israel and its army, followed by his equally profane claim that anybody who didn't agree with his position was (I forget his exact words) a shallow idiot. Even though I found his posts extremely offensive, I ignored them, assuming they would be deleted. They weren't, so I posted a reply that said (in total) "This isn't the place for a political discussion, but I would remind you that there are always two sides to every story..." and I followed that with a reproduction of Michael Ramirez' editorial cartoon from the conservative Investor's Business Daily on January 12 of this year. (30 seconds with Google will take you to the cartoon if you care.) The cartoon lampoons Hamas -- a political party -- and its insistence on firing rockets at Israel despite Israel's massive and disproportionate response. Like many editorial cartoons, it makes its point humorously and more eloquently than most of us can do with words.

Sayonara!

-- SD

Well first off all, posting publically that you are going to leave unless you get an apology from an admin pretty much completly discredits you as a grown up baby having a little temper tantrum.

Second of all, Michael Ramirez' cartoons are considered very offense by many, myself included. His cartoon's dealing with US politics are pretty good and I enjoy them on occasion, but his ones dealing with the Middle East are in extreme poor taste. I consider any cartoon that depicts a human being as an animal (iranians are cochroachs and palestinians as monkeys) to be very racist and reminiscent of Nazi tactics against not only Jewish people but anyone they wanted to discredit and use the power of fear and xenophobia against. BTW Michael Ramirez also made cartoons which depicted a religious Jewish man praying to "Hate" but atleast he didn't depict the man as an animal.

I for one am glad to see you leave. Car forums are for car discussion, keep your politics and self absorbed crying to the off-topic forum, thats what its for!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
+1 If you keep running away from boards because of an off color post, you will be running the rest of your life.

This is a ca forum for gsoh sakes, folks need to chill out.

If someone posts something you don't like, you can ignore it.
Chuck,
Most of the time I agree with you however I have complained to the admins about the vile posts yet they were allow continue and I would end up leaving the thread because they were offensive. I was considering leaving forum as admins didn't seem to be listening.
Several folks myself included tried to get him to post elsewhere reminding him this was a car forum so people were going to talk about cars.
I can understand the admins dinging SD for posting a political cartoon
but calling someone racist is very seriously. I was hoping the admins would at least post some type of explanation, like perhaps they need to add a new category to their posts that are not allowed , like "political comment" or even wrong forum (something that doesn't seem to get applied).

Some may not agree with SD posting his complaint (some on this thread are criticizing him for posting complaint then go on with their own political rant, wonder if they will get dinged 10 points) but I think of Martin Niemoeller's ".....Then they came for me--
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

The previous post shouldn't be the last word, SuziesDad deserves better and I would hate to see him go. I think we adults (provisionally including the moderator in that category) should be intelligent enough to distinguish politically incorrect content from rascist content even if its subject material is one to which we are sensitive and even if neither is appropriate in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

make that the 2nd previous, I was too slow getting my 2 cents in
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Well first off all, posting publically that you are going to leave unless you get an apology from an admin pretty much completly discredits you as a grown up baby having a little temper tantrum.

Second of all, Michael Ramirez' cartoons are considered very offense by many, myself included. His cartoon's dealing with US politics are pretty good and I enjoy them on occasion, but his ones dealing with the Middle East are in extreme poor taste. I consider any cartoon that depicts a human being as an animal (iranians are cochroachs and palestinians as monkeys) to be very racist and reminiscent of Nazi tactics against not only Jewish people but anyone they wanted to discredit and use the power of fear and xenophobia against. BTW Michael Ramirez also made cartoons which depicted a religious Jewish man praying to "Hate" but atleast he didn't depict the man as an animal.

I for one am glad to see you leave. Car forums are for car discussion, keep your politics and self absorbed crying to the off-topic forum, thats what its for!
And a nice day to you too!

Thank you for pointing out that you are an arbiter of good taste. If Michael Ramirez or I ever need help deciding if something is tasteful or not, I'm sure we will contact you for your sage advice.

To the other posters: Thanks for your comments and PMs. I am not leaving because of akraptor's silly posts, I am leaving because the moderator has accused me of racism. If he dinged me for posting a political message on the X6 forum, I'd say sorry and move on. If he dinged me for posting copyrighted material, I'd say OK, my bad, and we'd get on with life. It's his forum and he can do what he wishes. But he accused me of racism, which is a serious accusation, and he presumably did it solely on the basis of a political cartoon that he evidently feels the same way about as does our good friend SoCalS2k. I am strongly opposed to racism in all its forms, and I am equally opposed to offensive rants concerning a difficult and delicate political situation in the middle east on what is supposed to be a car forum, which is partly why I responded to akraptor's posts -- and responded in a low-key, non-confrontational manner, pointing out that there are two sides to every disagreement. I thought Ramirez's cartoon did so effectively and amusingly. But now that SoCalS2k has enlightened me, I will go and flog myself with chains until I see the error of my ways.

Ah well, win some lose some.

Take care, all! (Yeah, even you SoCalS2k; a lively forum needs all perspectives.)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will go and flog myself with chains until I see the error of my ways.
Sorry SD but this is low hanging fruit..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
The previous post shouldn't be the last word, SuziesDad deserves better and I would hate to see him go. I think we adults (provisionally including the moderator in that category) should be intelligent enough to distinguish politically incorrect content from rascist content even if its subject material is one to which we are sensitive and even if neither is appropriate in this forum.
+1
I think you have put succinctly what the rest of us have been stumbling around trying to say. well done.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #17
VKM2F
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 xDrive50i

Wow...looked up that cartoon. Really unfortunate choice you made.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

unsubscribe , time for this thread to die.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Suzie's Dad. my appology.. I know (as other members) that u where not that commited to buy an X6 rather than a ML.. .but it's yr choice. We cannot fuck around about it.

I was in a bad mood when I read dlgmc's post about a possible X6M spotted in Beverly Hills. i just saw before zapping to this forum,some hard to watch pics with a dead Palestinian girl (about 6 years old, the age of my daugther, Karina) as a sandwich in a pile o a rubble of a poor building. bombed by IDF. Her hair was hanging over the rubble, and here tiny arm as well. . her tiny dead body. . for what?!!? Yes, i love my X6, but cannot forget what I saw linked on rense.com.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread