XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
zoom750
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Help with X5M starer replacement

I have a 2013 X5M and am trying to replace the starter. I understand that the right side engine mount must be removed. The limited space makes it difficult to see, much less work on and am looking for some help.

Does anyone have any tips to do the job? Do you remove just the bracket itself or the bracket and mount together as one unit? If the bracket only, how do you remove the nut that holds it to the mount?

As to the starter, it looks like approaching the R&R is best done from below, aft of the stiffening plate (does the plate need to come off?). Any tips or tricks to that?

I didn't find any DIY for this job, so hopefully this thread can help others in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #2
zoom750
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Problem solved. I was able to remove the bracket only by first removing the nut that holds the bracket to the engine mount. Used a swivel head ratchet and 18mm socket and reached it through the wheel well.

Then raise the engine slightly using both an engine brace on top and a transmission jack underneath the oil pan.

After that, undo the four etorx bolts holding the bracket to the engine. These are E12. You'll need extensions and swivel sockets to reach the bolts.

To get the bracket out, you'll need to rotate it so that it is upside down, with the back of the bracket facing you. Then carefully wiggle it out in the space between the axle and the tie rod.

Removing the starter itself is straightforward.

There's a an electrical wire at the bottom of the starter that is held in by a bracket connected to the wire. Remove the nut holding the power cable (13mm) and undo the electrical connection by pressing in on the steel "bar" located on the side closest to the center of the car. I found it easier to position myself directly under the starter and reaching up with my left hand and snaking it around the axle to reach the connector. Working on my back, this means that my head was facing the driver's side and my legs pointed towards the passenger side.

Two etorx (E12) holds the starter to the housing. These are accessed by positioning yourself aft of the wheel well, facing towards the front of the car.

The starter exits in the same space that the bracket came out - between the front axle and the tie rod.

For installation, reverse the steps.

Starter goes in first, then the bracket. It'll take a little time to rotate the bracket back into the correct position because it will get caught on different things like electrical connectors and studs around the area.

When it is in place, it might be a little difficult to properly position it start the bolts. This is because it needs to be seated onto the mount and the rubber in the mount can force it out of alignment. You can use a thin punch to line up the holes.

Overall, not too complicated. Just a little frustrating because most of the work is done with the suspension and other components in the way.

Take your time loosening the etorx. Make sure your socket is fully seated before loosening or tightening. They can be easily stripped.
Appreciate 2
argento538.00
askjeeves147.00
      11-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #3
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

Excellent work! Replacing the starter on my 50i has been on my project list for awhile but have dreaded doing it (my back is still recovering from the ac compressor lol) but mine gets “hung” about 1 out of 5 starts and sounds like a screeching cat.

So thank you for writing this up, I’ll certainly be referencing this when mine finally takes a crap after putting this project off to long….
Appreciate 0