XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Chewy5
Rep
Drives: E71

Warning sign display area issue capacity?

Recently, out of the blue and without any apparent reason, the SOS call system warning showed up for the first time ever.

I don't subscribe to the BMW roadside assistance program and I never use that SOS button so I wasn't alarmed by the warning. And didn't do anything about it.

However, now I'm wondering whether I should do something about it. That is, fix it so that the SOS warning goes away because it is not going away and displays for a while when I start the car each time. because what if during this time I needed to refill the engine oil or something?

Will other important warnings display at all, when the current SOS warning is still there? In other words, what if there are multiple issues... will that display area cycle through each issue? Is it smart enough to handle this scenario or will it only display one issue at a time, and until you fix the first issue any other issue is suppressed?

does anyone know for sure?

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy5 View Post
Recently, out of the blue and without any apparent reason, the SOS call system warning showed up for the first time ever.

I don't subscribe to the BMW roadside assistance program and I never use that SOS button so I wasn't alarmed by the warning. And didn't do anything about it.

However, now I'm wondering whether I should do something about it. That is, fix it so that the SOS warning goes away because it is not going away and displays for a while when I start the car each time. because what if during this time I needed to refill the engine oil or something?

Will other important warnings display at all, when the current SOS warning is still there? In other words, what if there are multiple issues... will that display area cycle through each issue? Is it smart enough to handle this scenario or will it only display one issue at a time, and until you fix the first issue any other issue is suppressed?

does anyone know for sure?

thanks in advance!
If there are other issues (serious issues), you will see them. SOS fault will not block them. Most likely you have a gap within your MOST cable. This will cause SOS to go off. I would first check for any bends or pulls in your MOST fiber optics harness. There should be two hubs, one located underneath passengers legroom and the other is located in the trunk area, left (driver's side), will need to remove side panel to get access to it. If you are not using BMW Assist, you can disable SOS through coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Chewy5
Rep
Drives: E71

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
If there are other issues (serious issues), you will see them. SOS fault will not block them. Most likely you have a gap within your MOST cable. This will cause SOS to go off. I would first check for any bends or pulls in your MOST fiber optics harness. There should be two hubs, one located underneath passengers legroom and the other is located in the trunk area, left (driver's side), will need to remove side panel to get access to it. If you are not using BMW Assist, you can disable SOS through coding.
thanks a lot! i will check the hubs as you described!
Appreciate 0