XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Back in an X5M.. Questions regarding exhaust, intake and tires..

Greetings guys. I was on this board a few years ago with a '11 X5 50i w/ M pkg and Dinan tune. Great car... traded it for a Cayenne GTS in a 6spd manual. Rowing the gears was fun, but absolutely no comparison when it came to power vs the 50i. Glad to have picked up this X5M. It should be delivered end of next week. So while I'm waiting, might as well get my aftermarket parts ready.

I have a few questions:

Megan Exhaust: Price is ridiculously low. For those that have it, do you experience any drone? Is there too much crack & pop when decelerating or is it about similar to other exhausts out there minus the price? I know this is very subjective.. so hoping an actual Megan owner chimes in.. lol

Intake: I remember the 50i was muted w/ the turbos.. assuming the X5M is as well. Has an intake came out for the X5M to hear the turbos whistle more? Is there a mod that someone has done?

Tires: I'm not sure what I want to do with the wheels, but what is the largest sidewall someone was able to put on the stock V Spoke 299 wheels? I think it will need new tires regardless and the X5M has some serious wheel gap. Not sure if I want to lower again.

Appreciate any advice. Excited to be back on the forum and contribute to this group. Here is a pic.. stock so nothing special
Attached Images

11-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Lol.. I'll answer my own question. The mod bug is terrible, I've completely disregarded my wife all evening researching.

Megan Exhaust seems to be a solid piece. After deciphering through all the exhaust threads and BS.. turns out this inexpensive exhaust actually sounds quite nice.

Intake search is not going well. Looks like nothing out there.. heat being the main issue therefor not much room to do anything in that engine bay.
      11-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Megan sounds good and has no drone. Best bang for buck for sure since exhaust really provide little power and it's very light. Only issue is you lose the valves. Intake suggestion is change the filter for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbX5 View Post
Lol.. I'll answer my own question. The mod bug is terrible, I've completely disregarded my wife all evening researching.

Megan Exhaust seems to be a solid piece. After deciphering through all the exhaust threads and BS.. turns out this inexpensive exhaust actually sounds quite nice.

Intake search is not going well. Looks like nothing out there.. heat being the main issue therefor not much room to do anything in that engine bay.
Search the vendor classifieds section. There is a guy (RK Autoworks) that has an intake he will be producing soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
Search the vendor classifieds section. There is a guy (RK Autoworks) that has an intake he will be producing soon.
He's producing it now... He's just keeping it under wraps because he was called out by quite a few guys. He had my truck for 2 weeks to scan it and in turn was supposed to be doing x, y and z for me. Needless to say, None of it was done and i've seen him working on two others with the intakes... I wouldn't recommend doing business with him.
      11-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
He's producing it now... He's just keeping it under wraps because he was called out by quite a few guys. He had my truck for 2 weeks to scan it and in turn was supposed to be doing x, y and z for me. Needless to say, None of it was done and i've seen him working on two others with the intakes... I wouldn't recommend doing business with him.
I spoke with him earlier, they will be available starting the first week of December.

I don't know enough to side with anyone, but he's got a good reputation on the m5 forums.

Drama aside, it will without a doubt be the best intake option for our X5Ms. Especially considering theres no other options on the market... the intake adds some moderate dyno proven gains (~20whp/tq), but I'm mainly getting it for the sound.

The 3-D printed design + carbon fiber tubing should fit and look really nice as well.
Pure Stage 2 Turbos / JB4 / BPM tuned / Catless DPs / PTP Turbo Blanket / RK Intkakes / Eisnemann Sport / M Performance lip / IND Blackout / KWV3 Coilovers / MV Forged ML10 / Pirelli Pzeros / LED Headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

Also if its turbo spool sound you're looking for, get catless downpipes. Night and day difference in spool noise.

I'd recomend Ultimate-Racing's catless downpipes. Fitment is perfect and its the cheapest option out.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/colle...m-x6m-downpipe

Pair those up with a tune (Velos, AA, or ESS) and its a completely different car.
Pure Stage 2 Turbos / JB4 / BPM tuned / Catless DPs / PTP Turbo Blanket / RK Intkakes / Eisnemann Sport / M Performance lip / IND Blackout / KWV3 Coilovers / MV Forged ML10 / Pirelli Pzeros / LED Headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyB View Post
Also if its turbo spool sound you're looking for, get catless downpipes. Night and day difference in spool noise.

I'd recomend Ultimate-Racing's catless downpipes. Fitment is perfect and its the cheapest option out.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/colle...m-x6m-downpipe

Pair those up with a tune (Velos, AA, or ESS) and its a completely different car.
Thanks buddy.. it seems like everyone likes the Ultimate Racing DP's on this car. I read about gas smell entering the cabin.. I have a 3 yr old and a baby on the way. Don't want any of that smell in the cabin if it is the case..

I'll do some more research on it..
      11-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Looking at the Ultimate Racing downpipes I noticed that there is no flex section. I've read a lot of good reviews about their products and only 1 really negative one. They have a big discount this weekend for Black Friday weekend. Not too sure about that lack of flex section though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
jandref321
Captain
Rep

If you're looking for a cheap tune option, BMS just came out with a S63 JB4 for the X5M...cheapest tune option out there by far. It's hidden away on their website though...have to look under N63 upgrades. I've been wanting to purchase but just spent a ton moving so it will have to wait...just window shopping for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
If you're looking for a cheap tune option, BMS just came out with a S63 JB4 for the X5M...cheapest tune option out there by far. It's hidden away on their website though...have to look under N63 upgrades. I've been wanting to purchase but just spent a ton moving so it will have to wait...just window shopping for me.
I spent a good bit trying to acclimate to that site and its tune. A bit confusing for me to be honest. My understanding is that they have their stage 1 tune that nets you around 40-50 whp. Nothing to special but a great price that makes it a good alternative.

Then you have the JB4 Beta conversion that takes you all the way up to 100hp +-. I know it also gives you the ability to clear codes etc.. but is it much different than lets say an Active Autowerkes tune? Both are similar in price. I know.. highly subjective. I'm not trying to compare tunes, just trying to get an understanding as to what that Burger Motorsports tune does that others might not??
      11-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #12
jandref321
Captain
Rep

The website is a little confusing. To get to the full S63 JB4 you need to click on any one of the tune options on the home page then scroll all the way to the bottom and there are several hyperlink options, in the middle column there is JB4 Upgrades title and under that you will find N63 JB4 upgrades. The third to last item is the full S63 JB4 for the X5M which skips the stage 1.

The JB4 tunes allows you to change different maps and settings on the fly from your steering wheel and you can disable it completely. You also continue to get firmware upgrades for free that you can download to your computer and update yourself. The JB4 has optional phone apps and Bluetooth connectivity for you to log stats. If there is any issue with it the company will help troubleshoot and you can send them logs for them to fix any issues. The JB4 is also a piggyback tune so you can uninstall it easily (the S63 is slightly complicated), where as all other tunes are flash tunes which require you to send in your DME to the company or buy the flash computer to upload to your vehicle while it is on a battery tender.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
jandref321
Captain
Rep

The different maps allow you to choose your boost and also offer ethanol options and can cancel out check engine lights for downpipes, etc. This JB4 just came out at the end of September so it doesn't have the standard auto tune Map 5...it's just listed as under development for now but when they do release you can upgrade the firmware. you can read about it here:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41501
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

There's a guy local to me selling a used Megan exhaust. I'm happy to reach out to him and see what's the best price he'll take only because you're a big picka.
      11-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
There's a guy local to me selling a used Megan exhaust. I'm happy to reach out to him and see what's the best price he'll take only because you're a big picka.
hahaha.. budala

All good brate. The price of a new megan exhaust is less than double the price of a used good exhaust. No worries.
      11-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Quote:
hahaha.. budala

All good brate. The price of a new megan exhaust is less than double the price of a used good exhaust. No worries.
Ok nista, sve je dogovoreno. Odake si?
      11-29-2016, 12:16 AM   #17
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Ok nista, sve je dogovoreno. Odake si?
Rodjen ovde, familija iz Beograda... zena mi je iz Trstenik. She's the boss broski., I'm a pawn in this show. lol. Iz kog si ti kraja?
      11-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #18
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I contemplated Megan exhausts quite a bit, in fact, created a thread titled just that but I am just not sure if I want to lose the valve control option.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #19
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I contemplated Megan exhausts quite a bit, in fact, created a thread titled just that but I am just not sure if I want to lose the valve control option.
Lol.. I read that thread. If I remember correctly, you left more confused after that thread then when you started it.

Normally I remove resonators or throw xpipes on every car I own. But I remember doing that on a Cayenne TT and it wasn't what I was hoping. Turbo V8s are a bit different in this respect. So for the price of an xpipe and install, you can get a megan exhaust and can toss it if unhappy. However, from all the reviews, people seem to be quite happy with it. Forget youtube vids.. they don't do any exhaust justice.
      11-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #20
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Lol.. I read that thread. If I remember correctly, you left more confused after that thread then when you started it.

Normally I remove resonators or throw xpipes on every car I own. But I remember doing that on a Cayenne TT and it wasn't what I was hoping. Turbo V8s are a bit different in this respect. So for the price of an xpipe and install, you can get a megan exhaust and can toss it if unhappy. However, from all the reviews, people seem to be quite happy with it. Forget youtube vids.. they don't do any exhaust justice.
Yea that's true as well. I ams starting to look at them again after your thread. Haha. Let m know if you pull the trigger soon. Would be nice to hear some proper clips before I decide to go with it. The very few on youtube are terrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #21
SerbX5
Private
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Yea that's true as well. I ams starting to look at them again after your thread. Haha. Let m know if you pull the trigger soon. Would be nice to hear some proper clips before I decide to go with it. The very few on youtube are terrible.
Will do.. BTW.. how are you liking your H&R Springs. I remember putting these on my '11 x50i and had to readjust the rear links a few times to get it to be somewhat comfortable. Is it comfy or not? I can't really remember.. lol. I want to lower but I'm getting tired of lowering all my cars, think I'm getting old?!?!
      11-29-2016, 01:07 AM   #22
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Will do.. BTW.. how are you liking your H&R Springs. I remember putting these on my '11 x50i and had to readjust the rear links a few times to get it to be somewhat comfortable. Is it comfy or not? I can't really remember.. lol. I want to lower but I'm getting tired of lowering all my cars, think I'm getting old?!?!

I love the look of them. I wish I had gone with 2" instead of 1.2" for a more drastic look. But apparently the ride quality isn't that great then. With what I have, it's very good on clean roads and the handling is better than stock. On bumpy roads though it's quite rough and uncomfortable.

The rear links are set at 67 mm (opposed to 65mm that H&R recommends) as most people tried and tested various settings and said this was the best one to go with. I say go for it if you like the lowered look for sure.
Appreciate 0