XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
singh284
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 X50I M SPORT

BMW X5 Third Party Warranty/CPO

Hello Folks
I have a 2013 X50i with about 55,000 miles on the clock, and my power-train warranty is going to expire in September 2018. I was wondering what I should do for coverage as I plan on keeping the car for about another 2 to 3 years. What should I tell the SA before my warranty expires to look at? Also, does anyone have a third party warranty that they would recommend me getting? Any suggestions would help
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I had valve guide seals and upper oil pan gasket fail at exactly 55K in my 50i (I had some more time with the valve seals but BMW opted to replace them anyway). Separately they'd have been a $9K and $3K to fix at dealer. Fortunately BMW good-willed both repairs despite being a month out of CPO (long story). So I'd have them check those for sure, though you do have some time left.

With the motor dropped for the above mentioned repairs, other stuff was easy to see/access - all the HVAC cowling pieces at rear of engine were disintegrating from the engine heat, starter motoring was starting to crap out, and one of the front axle boots was leaking. I paid for all of those myself, though prices were 1/3 to 1/2 of normal as everything was completely accessible with the motor out.

Just purchased an extended warranty through CNA as I too want to keep it another 3 years or so.

I don't know what you've had done already, but can pretty much guarantee there's stuff on yours at 55K that is on the verge of failure. Hopefully your SA can get his techs to really check it out good. Some dealers are probably more thorough than others when it comes to the final inspection prior to warranty expiration.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
singh284
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 X50I M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I had valve guide seals and upper oil pan gasket fail at exactly 55K in my 50i (I had some more time with the valve seals but BMW opted to replace them anyway). Separately they'd have been a $9K and $3K to fix at dealer. Fortunately BMW good-willed both repairs despite being a month out of CPO (long story). So I'd have them check those for sure, though you do have some time left.

With the motor dropped for the above mentioned repairs, other stuff was easy to see/access - all the HVAC cowling pieces at rear of engine were disintegrating from the engine heat, starter motoring was starting to crap out, and one of the front axle boots was leaking. I paid for all of those myself, though prices were 1/3 to 1/2 of normal as everything was completely accessible with the motor out.

Just purchased an extended warranty through CNA as I too want to keep it another 3 years or so.

I don't know what you've had done already, but can pretty much guarantee there's stuff on yours at 55K that is on the verge of failure. Hopefully your SA can get his techs to really check it out good. Some dealers are probably more thorough than others when it comes to the final inspection prior to warranty expiration.

Good luck!
Thank you for the info!!!! I feel as if the my valve seals are leaking too because of the strong oil smell coming from the engine and also white smoke coming out of the tail pipe even when the car is warm. I will look into CNA for a third party warranty. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh284 View Post
Thank you for the info!!!! I feel as if the my valve seals are leaking too because of the strong oil smell coming from the engine and also white smoke coming out of the tail pipe even when the car is warm. I will look into CNA for a third party warranty. Thanks
Should have clarified, if you go w/ CNA you'll want the 'exclusionary' warranty - designed for higher end vehicles.

Also should have noted, I had spark plugs ($600ish at dealer) and coolant lines to the turbos ($2000ish at dealer) replaced in the 50K mile range, though both were excluded under the BMW CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0