XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #23
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_burner View Post
Maybe you should use the sheet metal as a heat shield, but I also think it wouldn't fit or look good. Anyways, how are the fitments with the filters? It seems to be cutting it quite close for me
After some research I found that the resin I used is rated around 180 degrees Fahrenheit and the engine probably does a consistent 210 degrees (going to confirm after I get an IR thermometer). So the plan is to sand down the last three or four inches of the tubing and recoat the exterior of the tube with high temp epoxy. This will eliminate any danger of epoxy getting to the turbos or intercoolers and still provide some heat defense. I'll test in phases to make sure it's safe. I may have to wrap the rear portion of the tube in heat reflecting tape also.

The filters were longer than I thought when purchased, or rather, the angle required for attachment meant that they protruded farther than I thought. The hood itself doesn't hit them, the kidney shroud touches them as it lowers. I closed it with the shrouds on and it still went down but I'm worried continuous opening and closing would damage the filters when the rubber shroud hits them. I'll probably just remove the shrouds since I'm unsure I'd want to cut the shrouds.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
After some research I found that the resin I used is rated around 180 degrees Fahrenheit and the engine probably does a consistent 210 degrees (going to confirm after I get an IR thermometer). So the plan is to sand down the last three or four inches of the tubing and recoat the exterior of the tube with high temp epoxy. This will eliminate any danger of epoxy getting to the turbos or intercoolers and still provide some heat defense. I'll test in phases to make sure it's safe. I may have to wrap the rear portion of the tube in heat reflecting tape also.

The filters were longer than I thought when purchased, or rather, the angle required for attachment meant that they protruded farther than I thought. The hood itself doesn't hit them, the kidney shroud touches them as it lowers. I closed it with the shrouds on and it still went down but I'm worried continuous opening and closing would damage the filters when the rubber shroud hits them. I'll probably just remove the shrouds since I'm unsure I'd want to cut the shrouds.
Maybe go kidney grill-less badass? If you still want the grills, I'd just cut it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #25
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe go kidney grill-less badass? If you still want the grills, I'd just cut it down.
The grills will stay there...there is a rubber shroud that attaches to the back of the kidney grills and extends in toward the radiator about 5 inches. It is this soft rubber "shroud" that would need to be trimmed. Not a big deal.

The bigger problem I just found in testing is that despite the 160-180 degree resin, it wont hold up to a 140 degree blow dryer for more than 3 minutes before it gets soft. So either I do it all over again using a much more expensive epoxy or talk to a shop that specializes in fiber glass and see if they will use my plugs to make me a set. I like DIYs...but this took me back to when I was 17 and wrecked my motorcycle. I wasn't good at fiber glass then, not that great now.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The grills will stay there...there is a rubber shroud that attaches to the back of the kidney grills and extends in toward the radiator about 5 inches. It is this soft rubber "shroud" that would need to be trimmed. Not a big deal.

The bigger problem I just found in testing is that despite the 160-180 degree resin, it wont hold up to a 140 degree blow dryer for more than 3 minutes before it gets soft. So either I do it all over again using a much more expensive epoxy or talk to a shop that specializes in fiber glass and see if they will use my plugs to make me a set. I like DIYs...but this took me back to when I was 17 and wrecked my motorcycle. I wasn't good at fiber glass then, not that great now.
I think you should just redo the intakes entirely with the sheet metal, welding it as needed. Or you could use different diameter pipes with bends to do it. After, I'd probably paint it in the BMW blue you got.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #27
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think you should just redo the intakes entirely with the sheet metal, welding it as needed. Or you could use different diameter pipes with bends to do it. After, I'd probably paint it in the BMW blue you got.
After my buddy gave me a pep talk I decided to try again. Just ordered the High Temp Epoxy Resin (expensive), and some carbon fiber sleeves. I'll do a 3-4 layers of fiberglass then finish it with 2 layers of carbon fiber. Hopefully I'm not just throwing away money. The original DIY was just under $200 for the tubing parts including the plugs and this next one will be around $300 for tubing parts. The filters were $230.

I'll say that making this stuff takes a lot of time and is expensive. Starting to understand why commercial ones are so pricey...good thing I like DIYs

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #28
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After my buddy gave me a pep talk I decided to try again. Just ordered the High Temp Epoxy Resin (expensive), and some carbon fiber sleeves. I'll do a 3-4 layers of fiberglass then finish it with 2 layers of carbon fiber. Hopefully I'm not just throwing away money. The original DIY was just under $200 for the tubing parts including the plugs and this next one will be around $300 for tubing parts. The filters were $230.

I'll say that making this stuff takes a lot of time and is expensive. Starting to understand why commercial ones are so pricey...good thing I like DIYs
Ooh carbon fiber. This intake should work because the epoxy and carbon ar both quite resilient to heat. But, the fiberglass might just start melting again once the heat gets through the carbon layers.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #29
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ooh carbon fiber. This intake should work because the epoxy and carbon ar both quite resilient to heat. But, the fiberglass might just start melting again once the heat gets through the carbon layers.
The fiberglass should be fine up to 700 degrees F...It was the resin last time. I have the good stuff but still haven't had time to mess with it at all. Been busy trying to fix the wife's car.

There are a couple things though: I bought a used P3 Gauge from a user on here and installed last week. Very happy to have it!

The blue beast, whom I have affectionately named Katara, is in the shop now. I've had some misfire issues that I believe are from the injectors they didn't replace last time. The problem is that they won't fix that until I replace the slightly leaking turbo coolant lines. Somehow the $50 DIY with silicon hoses is $1400 at BMW. They have had it for a week and gave me a loaner so not sure how to say "I'll do it myself." CPO not as good as advertised...The dealer is pretty good though. Hopefully I'll get it back on Tuesday and be able to turn it around for a fix later.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #30
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=jandref321;21759580]The fiberglass should be fine up to 700 degrees F...It was the resin last time. I have the good stuff but still haven't had time to mess with it at all. Been busy trying to fix the wife's car.

There are a couple things though: I bought a used P3 Gauge from a user on here and installed last week. Very happy to have it!

The blue beast, whom I have affectionately named Katara, is in the shop now. I've had some misfire issues that I believe are from the injectors they didn't replace last time. The problem is that they won't fix that until I replace the slightly leaking turbo coolant lines. Somehow the $50 DIY with silicon hoses is $1400 at BMW. They have had it for a week and gave me a loaner so not sure how to say "I'll do it myself." CPO not as good as advertised...The dealer is pretty good though. Hopefully I'll get it back on Tuesday and be able to turn it around for a fix later.[/QUOTE
Damn...1400$ for two $50 hoses? Must be a hell of a lot of labor involved. But then again Imagine if this was a Mercedes. Would probably have been 3 grand. Oh, and that gauge looks sick!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 07:06 AM   #31
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Great idea painting the reflectors yourself, I'm about to do the same and save $150 over the cost of buying pre painted ones.
      05-31-2017, 10:04 PM   #32
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Damn...1400$ for two $50 hoses? Must be a hell of a lot of labor involved. But then again Imagine if this was a Mercedes. Would probably have been 3 grand. Oh, and that gauge looks sick!
Thanks! The gauge is pretty cool; It reads codes as soon as you start the car also. I'm glad I was able to pick it up.

As for the repair, I've read from other threads that the manual states the turbos must be removed for the fix so they charge the labor based on that. I ended up lucky and the dealer is now covering it...dodged a bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post
Great idea painting the reflectors yourself, I'm about to do the same and save $150 over the cost of buying pre painted ones.
Thanks! My wife keeps telling me "no" to buying stuff but if I do it myself then it's okay...I think. I just say "I'm buying paint and saving money" and she just nods. Good luck with the painting!

Last edited by jandref321; 05-31-2017 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Fix Quote
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #33
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Did you ever end up doing the Dinan Springs?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #34
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
Did you ever end up doing the Dinan Springs?
Not yet...Car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now waiting on parts for cooling system. Will probably hold off for a couple months while I try to finish the intake DIY.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #35
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Intake

I got the truck back a couple weeks ago but have been busy the whole time. Between work and family visiting I've been neglecting the beast. I finally got some time over the fourth of July to work on the intake.

So far I only have the top of the left tubing done in fiberglass. The plan is to create a fiber glass top and bottom, put them together and do a final wrap of carbon fiber. At this rate I'll be done by Christmas.

Top layer pattern used to cut fiberglass

Mold release wax

Cheap vacuum bagging using ziplock storage bags

First two layers sanded

Four layers unsanded fresh off the plug

If you're wondering if I think this DIY is worth it, I've already told myself no...and my wife, who is very money conscious, has said that I should have just bought the commercially made ones. It is cool to make composite stuff though...new skillz being learned. Plus, the way that I'm making them is either cautious or greedy...I could just do two layers FG tubing then 2 layers CF tubing to save time, but I'd have to use acetone to dissolve the plug afterward...so if I messed up or wanted to make a second pair I'd have to start from the beginning and make a new plug.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #36
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Is that a Vorsteiner CF front or BMW OEM CF?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #37
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcotangco View Post
Is that a Vorsteiner CF front or BMW OEM CF?
The front lip is the OE M performance. The PO, M5guy, had it installed and also wrapped the "chin" of the bumper in black so it looked better.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #38
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Updates and Intakes

Gents,

The beast is down right now because the wife found a very large piece of metal to pierce one of my rear tires through the outside tread and into the sidewall. I ended up ordering all four. But I've still been working on these damn intakes...

My third try ended in failure after I decided that the top of the tubing needed four layers but the bottom only needed two layers. The whole thing collapsed in the vacuum bag.

I came at my fourth try with a vengeance...I decided that I wouldn't play it easy and just made the whole thing, keeping the plug inside. When I got close to the final product on the outside I dissolved the plug inside. I was very happy until the test fit and I found that the tubing is a bit too tall to close with the intended angle of the filter. I can still manage to get it to work and close the hood with a slam, but that makes me uneasy. This now leaves me with a question: Do I make the other side and just try to be happy with what I have or do I make a whole new plug design and start from the beginning?

Dissolving Foam:

Clean inside:

Finished exterior:

Installed:

Closed Hood:

Bin of Failure may get a new addition:

Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      11-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #39
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Gents,

The beast is down right now because the wife found a very large piece of metal to pierce one of my rear tires through the outside tread and into the sidewall. I ended up ordering all four. But I've still been working on these damn intakes...

My third try ended in failure after I decided that the top of the tubing needed four layers but the bottom only needed two layers. The whole thing collapsed in the vacuum bag.

I came at my fourth try with a vengeance...I decided that I wouldn't play it easy and just made the whole thing, keeping the plug inside. When I got close to the final product on the outside I dissolved the plug inside. I was very happy until the test fit and I found that the tubing is a bit too tall to close with the intended angle of the filter. I can still manage to get it to work and close the hood with a slam, but that makes me uneasy. This now leaves me with a question: Do I make the other side and just try to be happy with what I have or do I make a whole new plug design and start from the beginning?

Dissolving Foam:

Clean inside:

Finished exterior:

Installed:

Closed Hood:

Bin of Failure may get a new addition:
Did you ever complete the intakes?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #40
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
Did you ever complete the intakes?
Not yet. I got a new puppy and the wife said no working on the intakes until he is completely trained. I'm definitely going to finish the before spring next year though. I have the filters and the last one was perfect minus the whole "not fitting properly" thing, so I'm determined to make it happen. The longer I wait the more I want to get back to them...and the less I remember how butt hurt I was when it failed.

I have had to do a bunch of maintenance recently though, some hoses and stuff. I threw in some upgraded diverter valve parts from Go Fast Bits and just finished installing stainless steel brake lines today. I'll post about them with proper DIYs once I get the chance.

Appreciate 1
dpie77.50
      12-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #41
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Hey Gents,

I've racked up some DIYs over the past couple of months while doing some maintenance/upgrades.

Charge Pipe Silicone Hoses:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434167

Stainless Steel Brake Lines:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438827

Upgraded Diverter Valves:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442188

Performance Ignition Coils:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443226

I'm planning on using the holiday timeframe to work on the intakes...between spending time with family of course.

Appreciate 4
m5 guy1691.50
boneca1999.50
m5james431.00
      12-08-2017, 12:50 AM   #42
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

That's awesome you are so DIY capable. I can definitely rest easy.

Still have the mcb engine cover. Be a good Christmas present for the beast.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #43
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Hey Gents,

I've racked up some DIYs over the past couple of months while doing some maintenance/upgrades.
Looking forward to the next DIY write-up. It's one of the main reasons for coming to this awesome board. Keep up the great work you do for all of us!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #44
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Holy crap, I didn't know you made those intakes...great job! I've got aftermarket catless downpipes as well that I'm waiting to put on, I've just never wrapped exhaust like that before. You start near the top or bottoms? How much overlap? What did you say about getting them wet first? I need more exhaust straps, I think I've only got like 3 :/
Appreciate 0