XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
UC_Phillip
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Comfort Access Issues (and Bluetooth)

Hi All,

I'm the recent proud owner of a 2012 X5 35d, purchased with 58k miles just shy of a month ago. The SAV has performed flawlessly thus far but I recently started having issues with the rear door sensors (doors were not locking/unlocking with comfort access), which led to high battery drain warnings.

From searching in the forum I found that Fuse #132 controlled comfort access and my high battery drain issue has been resolved. However, my phone bluetooth connection is NOT working so I'm disappointed to see that the same fuse controls both. As a sanity-check I confirmed that putting the fuse back in causes the bluetooth to fire right up.

For the avoidance of doubt, can someone confirm that this IS indeed the case and if someone knows a workaround to my problem that would be great. I'm OK not having comfort access for now until I find replacement handles on ebay but the loss of bluetooth is a major pain.

Also, any long-term issues with disconnecting the fuse every time the car will sit for several days to avoid the battery drain and just plugging it in when needed?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC_Phillip View Post
Hi All,

I'm the recent proud owner of a 2012 X5 35d, purchased with 58k miles just shy of a month ago. The SAV has performed flawlessly thus far but I recently started having issues with the rear door sensors (doors were not locking/unlocking with comfort access), which led to high battery drain warnings.

From searching in the forum I found that Fuse #132 controlled comfort access and my high battery drain issue has been resolved. However, my phone bluetooth connection is NOT working so I'm disappointed to see that the same fuse controls both. As a sanity-check I confirmed that putting the fuse back in causes the bluetooth to fire right up.

For the avoidance of doubt, can someone confirm that this IS indeed the case and if someone knows a workaround to my problem that would be great. I'm OK not having comfort access for now until I find replacement handles on ebay but the loss of bluetooth is a major pain.

Also, any long-term issues with disconnecting the fuse every time the car will sit for several days to avoid the battery drain and just plugging it in when needed?

Thanks guys!
I wonder if you stumbled across my thread.

Yes, you are correct, that fuse controls CA, Bluetooth, and the gong among other things.

If you can't live without Bluetooth, I suggest you disconnect the faulty handle(s) and leave the fuse in. Disconnect the cable, I should say, and leave the handles in place. That was my permanent solution.

Once you have your new handles just switch and plug-n-play. Just be sure that you don't lose your CA cable in the door or you'll have to take the door panel off to find it.

Good luck!

Last edited by mirob; 12-28-2017 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
BMW-SRT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63sAMG, GLC63sAMG, x5m, 335i

has anyone tried just coding out comfort access? Im starting to have the battery drain issue was thinking of just having the CA coded out\disabled
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
UC_Phillip
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Just wanted to say thanks to Mirob for helping me get this resolved. I went for the most practical solution at the moment, which was to simply disconnect the rear comfort access door handles.

It took all of 10 minutes on each door. I simply removed the plug by the wheel arch, which allowed me to access the T25 screw. After loosening the screw enough I was able to pull out the cover, being careful not to let the accent lightbulb fall back into the door. After that all I needed to do was pull out the door handle and unplug the handle.

So far so good, haven't gotten a high battery drain warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC_Phillip View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to Mirob for helping me get this resolved. I went for the most practical solution at the moment, which was to simply disconnect the rear comfort access door handles.

It took all of 10 minutes on each door. I simply removed the plug by the wheel arch, which allowed me to access the T25 screw. After loosening the screw enough I was able to pull out the cover, being careful not to let the accent lightbulb fall back into the door. After that all I needed to do was pull out the door handle and unplug the handle.

So far so good, haven't gotten a high battery drain warning.
Yessir. Glad I could help.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-SRT View Post
has anyone tried just coding out comfort access? Im starting to have the battery drain issue was thinking of just having the CA coded out\disabled
I haven't heard of it but I'm sure it's possible. Not an option for me, however. While the handles can sometimes be a nuisance I still love what they do when they do work. I also couldn't live without the CA keyless start.

Also, your battery drain is not due to the CA, per se. It's due to a faulty handle(s) that draws power when it's not supposed to, thus draining your battery. Simply coding the CA out will not fix your draining issue. You would still either have to replace your faulty handle(s), or disconnect them permanently.

Last edited by mirob; 01-02-2018 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-SRT View Post
I haven't heard of it but I'm sure it's possible. Not an option for me, however. While the handles can sometimes be a nuisance I still love what they do when they do work. I also couldn't live without the CA keyless start.

Also, your battery drain is not due to the CA, per se. It's due to a faulty handle(s) that draws power when it's not supposed to, thus draining your battery. Simply coding the CA out will not fix your draining issue. You would still either have to replace your faulty handle(s), or disconnect them permanently.
I pulled 132 fuse and got a engine malfunction warning in the morning. Can I drive with it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Not sure, but it seems the best course would be to put it back in and confirm the two are related. Make sure it's not 131 (5A, OBD).