XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
dmcc
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 330iC, '13 X5 xDrive 35i

Thumbs down E70 Key Fob question

I just bought a 2013 X5 XDrive 35i. It came with two key fobs. They appear identical. Both have working buttons for the doors and tailgate. However, one will start the car while in my pocket and the other needs to be inserted into the slot on the dashboard. Is this standard? Does something need to be done to make the second key fully functional?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps one of them has a dead battery? But then it shouldn't auto unlock the vehicle either. Otherwise AFAIK they should be identical.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcc View Post
I just bought a 2013 X5 XDrive 35i. It came with two key fobs. They appear identical. Both have working buttons for the doors and tailgate. However, one will start the car while in my pocket and the other needs to be inserted into the slot on the dashboard. Is this standard? Does something need to be done to make the second key fully functional?
It's likely that the 2nd key is a replacement key to one from the factory, which needs to be "programmed" by the dealer for comfort access option. Only 2 keys can be registered with the car for comfort access at any given time. The programming needed is to deregister the key that is being replaced (e.g lost key) and register the replacement. Dealers usually charge 1 hr of labor for about 10 mins of work.

Try replacing the keyfob battery to rule out simple issues first.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
It's likely that the 2nd key is a replacement key to one from the factory, which needs to be "programmed" by the dealer for comfort access option. Only 2 keys can be registered with the car for comfort access at any given time. The programming needed is to deregister the key that is being replaced (e.g lost key) and register the replacement. Dealers usually charge 1 hr of labor for about 10 mins of work.

Try replacing the keyfob battery to rule out simple issues first.
This. I bought a replacement key, dealer told me to schedule a time with service to "activate" my key. Parts dept quoted me half an hr of labor (153.50cad an hr). Or 180cad for activation and programming for comfort access. Told him I'll call in later, walked to my car, took the key and plugged it into the slot. It works, when I got home, comfort access works. Love BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
maddie
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
This. I bought a replacement key, dealer told me to schedule a time with service to "activate" my key. Parts dept quoted me half an hr of labor (153.50cad an hr). Or 180cad for activation and programming for comfort access. Told him I'll call in later, walked to my car, took the key and plugged it into the slot. It works, when I got home, comfort access works. Love BMW dealerships.

i had the same issue a week ago, replace the battery everything worked fine.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie View Post
i had the same issue a week ago, replace the battery everything worked fine.
That's good to hear. I just love when the dealership tries to squeeze every penny from you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
pambrosetti
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 XDRIVE 30

Hey guys. Bought a 2009 X5 a few weeks ago. Key was dead but the dealer just told me it would charge up on my drive home, it didn't.

I have a non-comfort access key that will not remotely unlock/lock or pop the hatch. While it does start the car once I put it in the charging port, that is the only function it serves as I have to use the blade to lock the car.

I do not see a low key battery warning. Do I need to get a replacement key? Or just have it reprogrammed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pambrosetti View Post
Hey guys. Bought a 2009 X5 a few weeks ago. Key was dead but the dealer just told me it would charge up on my drive home, it didn't.

I have a non-comfort access key that will not remotely unlock/lock or pop the hatch. While it does start the car once I put it in the charging port, that is the only function it serves as I have to use the blade to lock the car.

I do not see a low key battery warning. Do I need to get a replacement key? Or just have it reprogrammed?

Thanks!
Have you tried replacing the battery from the key fob?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
pambrosetti
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 XDRIVE 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
Have you tried replacing the battery from the key fob?
it is a non-comfort access key, no way to replace the battery
Appreciate 0