XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Gasoline Price Forecast?

Web search indicates US gasoline (regular) to stay around $2.50/gal. for 2017. Anyone know anything different? Any long term trend info to review?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Web search indicates US gasoline (regular) to stay around $2.50/gal. for 2017. Anyone know anything different? Any long term trend info to review?
I dont thing its going to go up dramatically....not since the new administration has begun pulling the nonsense red tape that was hampering development/production/access.......

There have been a number of economic/fiscal events that in years past would have kicked oil up to 100/bl but didnt......there's ample supply to mitigate concerns/stunts that OPEC and SA may pull
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Inventories and production are still high. No major increase barring any twitter-instigated conflicts.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
semclane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Dinan Suspension

Here in the Bay Area all three grades are cursently over $3 a gallon and Governor Moonbeam has the the flunkies in the state legislature lined up to slap further $0.12 a gallon tax on gas to "fix the roads". Something they have done before (slap a tax on gas, not actually spend the money on fixing roads)
Appreciate 3
      03-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by semclane View Post
Here in the Bay Area all three grades are cursently over $3 a gallon and Governor Moonbeam has the the flunkies in the state legislature lined up to slap further $0.12 a gallon tax on gas to "fix the roads". Something they have done before (slap a tax on gas, not actually spend the money on fixing roads)
They need to find a way to tax the electric car owners so they can help pay to fix the roads too. They use them just the same as gasoline cars but pay nothing for upkeep of the roads.
RickFLM410954.50
Zippster460.00
shay2nak1070.00
      03-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

It will creep down for now but it will not last longer term
Enjoy it whilst it lasts
I still remember 90Cents/gallon days and we used to bitch when it crossed a dollar lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
They need to find a way to tax the electric car owners so they can help pay to fix the roads too. They use them just the same as gasoline cars but pay nothing for upkeep of the roads.
Is electricity not taxed in California?

And what exactly does that have to do with the OP?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

For the most part, gas taxes are used specifically to fund transportation projects. Electricity taxes would likely be directed into a general fund and could be used to spend on roads but usually isn't. This has come up as cars are more fuel efficient and so gas taxes may not accurately reflect usage. A car getting 40mpg causes similar wear to a car getting 20mpg but pays half the tax is the basic argument. There have been some proposals to tax usage so some sort of mileage tax but I don't think anything has actually been implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Is electricity not taxed in California?

And what exactly does that have to do with the OP?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
For the most part, gas taxes are used specifically to fund transportation projects. Electricity taxes would likely be directed into a general fund and could be used to spend on roads but usually isn't. This has come up as cars are more fuel efficient and so gas taxes may not accurately reflect usage. A car getting 40mpg causes similar wear to a car getting 20mpg but pays half the tax is the basic argument. There have been some proposals to tax usage so some sort of mileage tax but I don't think anything has actually been implemented.
I would argue the're not a whole lot of differences between the above taxes

Mostly because "transportation" tax dollars are uses to fund everything from local street lights to police officers....all while ignoring the reason for their creation in the first place.....to maintain/replace bad bridges/roads......

Money is fungeable......some may go into general fund but legislatures are so screwed up that....well....you get my point

I'm all for leveling the playing field......

Eliminate all of the subsidies for buyers and manufacturers of electric cars for starters

Once that happens come up with an electric car meter.......you pay monthly/annually based on consumption
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Virginia makes EV owners pay an extra $114 for owning an electric.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
semclane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Dinan Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
It will creep down for now but it will not last longer term
Enjoy it whilst it lasts
I still remember 90Cents/gallon days and we used to bitch when it crossed a dollar lol
Oh yeah? I remember 19.9 for "Ethyl". I'm that old
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
We dont want a competition for that.. u can win that one .. Ill give u the win every day o the week
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
I dont thing its going to go up dramatically....not since the new administration has begun pulling the nonsense red tape that was hampering development/production/access.......

There have been a number of economic/fiscal events that in years past would have kicked oil up to 100/bl but didnt......there's ample supply to mitigate concerns/stunts that OPEC and SA may pull
This.
And the new administration is freeing up 1/3 of the worlds oil reserves obama put on lockdown to raise gas prices and push hybrid and electric cars at the cost of the economy. Lpng term should drop. New pipelines don't hurt either.
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Here its $6,15/gallon currently
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
You got me beat, the best I can remember paying for (once old enough to drive) is 24.9 cents a gallon
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #16
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
We dont want a competition for that.. u can win that one .. Ill give u the win every day o the week
Yea, that's one I wouldn't like winning either. It's like when the clerk at the Harris Teeter asks me if I qualify for the senior discount, I always say "unfortunately"
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Yeah. I remember $1 something when I first started driving. Everyone complained. Best I ever saw was $0.95 under GW.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Dumb to have a system to give the buyer a tax credit when he buys the car then create another system to tax him when he uses it. If you think he should pay more than just cut back on the tax incentive at purchase and skip on the new agency and people to run it.

I don't see gas prices going up a lot anytime soon and strongly believe we should add a federal gas tax, only to be used for road construction as the current tax hasn't changed since 1993 and obviously the cost for doing the construction has gone up significantly.

Gas prices also don't have much to do with the administration and mostly with the world market. Remove every regulation possible and whatever extra we produce gets spread around the world as it is a world market for crude. We produce twice as much, price of gas won't go down very much, definitely not get cut in half. FED also won't remove state regulations.

Last edited by David70; 04-10-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Its not state regs thats the issue. Obama shut down federally owned and controlled lands which accounts for 33% of the world's oil reserves leaving the U.S. with 8% of the oil reserves instead of 40%. Reopening them will have a huge impact on oil prices, as well as the US will be able to cgeaply export to Europe, damaging the Russian economy or where opec oil goes, damaging unfriendly arab state economies. We csn use it as an economic weapon. Big deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Its not state regs thats the issue. Obama shut down federally owned and controlled lands which accounts for 33% of the world's oil reserves leaving the U.S. with 8% of the oil reserves instead of 40%. Reopening them will have a huge impact on oil prices, as well as the US will be able to cgeaply export to Europe, damaging the Russian economy or where opec oil goes, damaging unfriendly arab state economies. We csn use it as an economic weapon. Big deal.
Skeptical of your numbers but they really don't matter, oil production slows when the price gets too low and Trump or any politician can't radically change this issue. Removing regulations will help some with the basement number to be profitable but not that much.

Some of the equipment I sell goes into oil production in the U.S. When oil goes below about $40 a barrel we drastically slow production, it's currently at about $52 a barrel and production is higher but there isn't the huge rush to produce like there was when it was $100 a barrel.
      04-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #21
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Numbers are correct but once ban is lifted i do see us being oil independent and potentially low balling Russia etc if they don't stay in line.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #22
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
91 is 3.50 where I live
Appreciate 0