XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d F31 Individual

Diesel Exhaust Fumes in Cabin

I have noticed on cold starts that after about a min I smell diesel exhaust fumes inside the cabin for a min for two. Not the most pleasent things to wiff in at 6am in the morning. 2012 model year, 29,000 miles on her. The only thing that has change is that I do not drive my X5 every other day or so compared to every day since taking delivery of my AH3. Anyone else have this issue? I have taken it in once already for this and it is still not corrected.

Last edited by JoinTheRace; 01-12-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

I had the same problem. Originally I brought my 11 X5d to the dealer because I found what I believed to be a more exhaust soot than normal on the underside of the hood as well as on some parts in the engine and exhaust fumes in the cabine. 18,000 miles on mine. They told me it was normal. BS. They found a fluid leak and had to replace the head gasket. A week later I got my X back and noticed on the service order that they also replaced the exhaust cooler, a $700 part, due to an exhaust leak that was found during final inspection after the gasket repair. I'm happy the found both leaks and replaced the part but I'm dumbfounded as to why they say a little soot is normal but replace $700 parts willy-nilly.

Check under your hood. If you have exhaust soot under your hood, you have a leak. Also check on and around the pipes in front of the engine but behind the brace bar. That's the exhaust cooler. If it's black and covered in soot, it's leaking. Of course there are other places the exhaust can me leaking from, this just so happened to be my issue.

I emailed BMW NA at customerrelations@bmwusa.com and made them aware as I was advised to do so from a former BMW tech, now Service Manager/very good friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post
I had the same problem. Originally I brought my 11 X5d to the dealer because I found what I believed to be a more exhaust soot than normal on the underside of the hood as well as on some parts in the engine and exhaust fumes in the cabine. 18,000 miles on mine. They told me it was normal. BS. They found a fluid leak and had to replace the head gasket. A week later I got my X back and noticed on the service order that they also replaced the exhaust cooler, a $700 part, due to an exhaust leak that was found during final inspection after the gasket repair. I'm happy the found both leaks and replaced the part but I'm dumbfounded as to why they say a little soot is normal but replace $700 parts willy-nilly.

Check under your hood. If you have exhaust soot under your hood, you have a leak. Also check on and around the pipes in front of the engine but behind the brace bar. That's the exhaust cooler. If it's black and covered in soot, it's leaking. Of course there are other places the exhaust can me leaking from, this just so happened to be my issue.

I emailed BMW NA at customerrelations@bmwusa.com and made them aware as I was advised to do so from a former BMW tech, now Service Manager/very good friend.
Thanks for the insight. I emailed this to my service person it hopes to get a fix for this. I just hope that they do not give me the X5 back with the typical "cannot duplicate" bs with always seems to be the case. I would now be bringing it in if I didn't have an issue that was not normal. Was your issue every time at start up or was it every so often?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post

Bingo! The replaced the same part. The advisor stated they are starting to see this part fail more. Just a heads up for all X5d and 335d owners.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5dforme View Post
The advisor stated they are starting to see this part fail more. Just a heads up for all X5d and 335d owners.
Glad to know it's being brought up more often. I traded my X5d for an M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

Good info guys....I've been "dealing with this" for a couple months and during my most recent road trip it became unbearable.....I'm bringing it in.....I noticed it becomes worse as you turn down the thermostat temp.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep

This EGR cooler is also cover by the emissions warranty of 7/70k btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH75
Good info guys....I've been "dealing with this" for a couple months and during my most recent road trip it became unbearable.....I'm bringing it in.....I noticed it becomes worse as you turn down the thermostat temp.
Exhaust Gas Cooler replaced (about $700, covered by warranty)....picked it up tonight....seems to be in good working order now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5dforme View Post
This EGR cooler is also cover by the emissions warranty of 7/70k btw.
Is it across US, or just for CA?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Is it across US, or just for CA?
Not sure if CA has there own warranty of this but I would think that it is a national warranty item.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH75 View Post
Exhaust Gas Cooler replaced (about $700, covered by warranty)....picked it up tonight....seems to be in good working order now.
How many miles are your beast when you started noticing this issue? I was at about 27k on a year old X5.
Appreciate 0