XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
chocobo1104
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i

X6 Cabin Noise

My father is driving 07 X5 3.0d and while driving his car I immediately noticed how undrivable his car was due to diesel engine rattle + noise. Not something I would want to be in during a long trip, which I frequently take with my old 03 lexus es300.

I am trading in my lexus es300 for 2011 X6 35i and wanted to ask people in the forum how the cabin noise + rattle and refinement was in the X6 gasoline version.

Now, I do not expect it to be any less quieter or in the same league of quietness as my ES, but after getting in my buddy's 10 X5 30i gasoline version, I thought to be myself, hey, I could live with this. So, how well does X6 35i fare in terms of long driving comfort in terms of audible refinement?

P.S: Comparing X6 to 03 ES300 in terms of sheer acceleration and handling, would I be blown away???

P.P.S: By the way, I could NOT test X6's performance nor in cabin experience as there were NONE in my area at the time I was shopping around. So I would appreciate the input from your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
X6DB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp xDrive

I've owned 5 Lexus vehicles and a 2010 X6 35i with the 7rr performance upgrade. Cabin noise is quite low. And acceleration is quite a bit better on the BMW. I also got adaptive drive; this car handles better than any Lexus I've ever owned (1 ES, 2 GSs, and 2 LSs).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
giants84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 x6 5.0

When i test drove the x5 M a few days ago the cabin was so quiet i did not even hear the engine turn on, only time i heard the engine was when i pressed the gas down slightly. Was very impressed with how quiet the cabin was. Not sure how different the X6 is though, i would think not to much.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
chocobo1104
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i

one could only hope the X6 is as quiet as you describe the X5M (as in the engine noise being so loud during idle that i cannot even put the window down, nor listen to music with clarity)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
x6xdrive50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50I

How is the X5M not loud at idle? I sat in an idling X6M, it was ear-bleedingly loud during start-up and idle, altough it was in an underground carpark. I expect the Ms are just loud anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
DBohan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X6 xdrive 3.5

I drove my 2008 X6 3.5I from Alaska to Las Vegas and back last summer (approx 7k miles) and was surprised at the comfort and quiet of the vehicle. With the windows up my music was the only noise I heard but I could feel the road. And as far as acceleration; the Canadians allowed me to go 135 on the highway which was very nice of them...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Cabin/Cockpit noise

Chocobo:
I think it depends on whether u r on RF/regular tires &/Or driving on concrete/asphalt.

Too bad we still have to choose between comfort/handling of regular tires & security/safety of not having to deal w/ leaky or change a flat tire just before the weekend or on the side of the road/hwy in the wrong neighborhood.

Do they not know how to tune the '07 X5 3.0d ?

My test drive of '09 X5 3.5d was very positive from the cabin. standing outside u can hear the diesel if u pay attention or know it's a diesel otherwise i's not obvious its a diesel/
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
giants84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 x6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6xdrive50i View Post
How is the X5M not loud at idle? I sat in an idling X6M, it was ear-bleedingly loud during start-up and idle, altough it was in an underground carpark. I expect the Ms are just loud anywhere.
Pretty sure both cars sound the same and i could not even hear the engine turn on in the x5M. Are you saying the car was loud with the windows up? Most people think the exhaust is not loud on the car, so that is strange.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
The problem with my X6 is not engine noise, but numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash, consoles (front and rear), and the seats. I finally took most of the plastic parts off the seats and covered the connections with electrical tape, which mostly sovled that problem, but the dash and consoles continue to make noise. I can even hear them over the radio and engine. The dealer, of course, says they don't hear anything on test drives. I think that bad city roads just beat up all those plastic parts. Anyone else having this type of problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Batke
36th Chamber
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
The problem with my X6 is not engine noise, but numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash, consoles (front and rear), and the seats. I finally took most of the plastic parts off the seats and covered the connections with electrical tape, which mostly sovled that problem, but the dash and consoles continue to make noise. I can even hear them over the radio and engine. The dealer, of course, says they don't hear anything on test drives. I think that bad city roads just beat up all those plastic parts. Anyone else having this type of problem?
Yes. The passenger seat squeaks at times. I have seen it mentioned here on the forums many times. I can live with it because I listen to my music pretty loud. I have not had any dash sounds squeaks yet, touch wood. I live in Edmonton and the roads here are the worst. I am not kidding we have the hugest pot holes ever. If you don't remember where they are on your daily drive and hit one, you wanna punch yourself in the balls. I have run-flats so i am not sure if that makes any diff.
'05 BMW 325i (E46) - Jet Black
'99 Oldsmobile Alero - White
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Jazzman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5d, X5 4.0

I recently test drove the X5M and agree with giants84. It was very quiet at idle, both inside and out. It screams when you drive it aggressively, however. I drove it on a track, not on city streets. I thought it was quieter than my M3 at idle.

I also had the opportunity to ride in the '11 X5d, in city driving, and thought it was extremely quiet at idle. The diesel sound could be heard with hard acceleration, but only faintly. Overall cabin sound, while underway, was very quiet. The new nav screen/system is beautiful, BTW. Outside of the vehicle, there's no question it was a diesel, as you could hear the classic sound even at idle.
Appreciate 0