XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-09-2023, 09:35 PM   #1
kdub.4
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d

Catastrophic Engine Failure

Hey all,
This is my first time posting, and I wish I wasn't making this post. I was driving my 2011 diesel X5 today (stage 2.9 Malone tune) and when accelerating there was a loud pop and then the sound of metal clanging. It was like you put metal shards in a dryer and then started the dryer. About 2 seconds after the loud pop the engine completely died. The noise seemed to come from somewhere below me and there was no smoke coming from anywhere on the vehicle which initially had me thinking the transmission blew, but I called my tuner who is extremely knowledgeable on the M57 engine and he said he thinks the small turbo blew and the fragments were sucked into the engine. I'm currently waiting for it to be inspected by the local BMW dealership and I'm fully prepared for them to tell me the engine is ruined. What do you guys think went wrong, and if the engine is toast, what cars would you recommend for me? I'm also completely open to getting a new engine. (looking for something as fun as this car, I loved it so much, especially after the tune)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:45 PM   #2
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Bearings could have spun, oil pump chain could have stretched and either skipped or broke (mine did), or jumped the timing. Also could be the turbos like you said but i dont think that would have caused the engine to die suddenly. Im going with bearings spun, bent rod, or bent valve.
      10-13-2023, 01:49 PM   #3
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTV8M View Post
Bearings could have spun, oil pump chain could have stretched and either skipped or broke (mine did), or jumped the timing. Also could be the turbos like you said but i dont think that would have caused the engine to die suddenly. Im going with bearings spun, bent rod, or bent valve.
A spun bearing is possible. Bent rod is highly unlikely as it’s a very beefy rod. Timing chain is possible depending on mileage. Bent valve is also unlikely. Small turbo could be suspect. While malone is knowledgeable on the m57, I do have reliability concerns with his high hp tunes.

Only real way to know the extent of the damage is to open it up though