XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
connormorris_10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

2013 X5 35D Engine Malfunction, $23,000 Repair Quote

Hey all,

I have a 2013 BMW x5 35D with about 105,000 miles on it. A few years back, the gas station I went to for diesel fuel had a pipe malfunction which led to unleaded gas being hooked up to the diesel pumps. Obviously, that is a problem for a diesel engine. I took it in, had it looked at since the engine was having issues, they fixed it up, and I have not had any problems with the car until now (3-4 years later).

The DPF error warning has been appearing on my dashboard every drive for at least a year now. Yes, I know, I should have dealt with this before now. I am willing to fork out some money to replace the DPF for a new one. However, a new issue has been occurring frequently lately. When I am accelerating, sometimes the car has issues switching into a higher gear. Which prompts the engine malfunction error to appear on my dashboard. The car will go into limp mode for 20-30 seconds, and when I accelerate to 2,500ish rpms, the engine malfunction error will go away, and limp mode turns off.

I have found that if the engine stays in one gear for longer than 30 seconds or so, limp mode will kick in. to counter this, I incrementally increase the RPM by accelerating when i hear the engine reaching attempting to shift gear, forcing it to shift.

I know there are some problems with it, and they need to be fixed. I am willing to pay for some repairs. However, when I took it to my local BMW service center, which I have gone to in the past for repairs, the quote for repairs for my car totaled just over $23,000. On top of this, prior to taking my car in, the person I scheduled the appointment on the phone with said they offered free appraisals, so I opted in. They called me after I declined the repairs and valued my car, if fully repaired, at $6000.

They wanted to replace a number of things, so much so that I won’t list all of them here. The most expensive repairs they wanted to do are listed below:

- dpf: $4500
- Oxygen sensor: $500
- 2 exhaust coolers: $850 (each)
- 2 new turbo chargers: $1700 (1) $2500(1)
- 4 new tires *that don’t need immediate replacement* $320 (each)

I do not have a ton of car knowledge, but I am generally skeptical about most information. I usually need to do my own research on all things before I believe/agree with the person telling me information, which brings me here.

a few questions i have regarding the information above:

1. has anyone experienced these car issues before? if so, what was the issue?
2. any thoughts on what may be the cause of the engine malfunction?
3. Is this quote actually absurd like I think it is or am i being too stubborn?

few things to note, on the paper quote they gave me, they listed issues that they found. they listed the DPF and below it they listed "POTENTIALLY turbo failure". Why would I spend $11000 to replace something that *may* be the cause of the engine problems?

anyways, any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by connormorris_10; 09-26-2023 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #2
Daytonawim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 LCI 3.5i 2012

Did you did a fault readout?

Some of the parts could be get cheaper second hand or rebuild, also an Indy shop could give better labor costs.

If a car in perfect order has about 6 or7K value, it’s crazy to stick 23k in it, or you want to drive it for many jears to come.
Then I would part it out to get some money out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
connormorris_10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

I havent. I dont have a code reader so i was hoping they would include the codes in the quote. I was mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 06:12 AM   #4
zjuyyhu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

This is a 10-year old car, I would simply sell it or trade in for a new one. Even if you repair it this time, other issues will arise due to the engine damage caused by the wrong gas. This will be painful.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 02:39 PM   #5
Hoffmann707
Rep
Drives: X5 , m5

I would be interested in buying it as a project, does it have the sport pack? you could also pm me
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:48 PM   #6
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by connormorris_10 View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2013 BMW x5 35D with about 105,000 miles on it. A few years back, the gas station I went to for diesel fuel had a pipe malfunction which led to unleaded gas being hooked up to the diesel pumps. Obviously, that is a problem for a diesel engine. I took it in, had it looked at since the engine was having issues, they fixed it up, and I have not had any problems with the car until now (3-4 years later).

The DPF error warning has been appearing on my dashboard every drive for at least a year now. Yes, I know, I should have dealt with this before now. I am willing to fork out some money to replace the DPF for a new one. However, a new issue has been occurring frequently lately. When I am accelerating, sometimes the car has issues switching into a higher gear. Which prompts the engine malfunction error to appear on my dashboard. The car will go into limp mode for 20-30 seconds, and when I accelerate to 2,500ish rpms, the engine malfunction error will go away, and limp mode turns off.

I have found that if the engine stays in one gear for longer than 30 seconds or so, limp mode will kick in. to counter this, I incrementally increase the RPM by accelerating when i hear the engine reaching attempting to shift gear, forcing it to shift.

I know there are some problems with it, and they need to be fixed. I am willing to pay for some repairs. However, when I took it to my local BMW service center, which I have gone to in the past for repairs, the quote for repairs for my car totaled just over $23,000. On top of this, prior to taking my car in, the person I scheduled the appointment on the phone with said they offered free appraisals, so I opted in. They called me after I declined the repairs and valued my car, if fully repaired, at $6000.

They wanted to replace a number of things, so much so that I won’t list all of them here. The most expensive repairs they wanted to do are listed below:

I do not have a ton of car knowledge, but I am generally skeptical about most information. I usually need to do my own research on all things before I believe/agree with the person telling me information, which brings me here.

few things to note, on the paper quote they gave me, they listed issues that they found. they listed the DPF and below it they listed "POTENTIALLY turbo failure". Why would I spend $11000 to replace something that *may* be the cause of the engine problems?

tell them you just want to buy the $25 in shop supplies.
      10-09-2023, 10:50 PM   #7
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
I havent. I dont have a code reader so i was hoping they would include the codes in the quote. I was mistaken.

yeh, code reading is $$.

i believe the local brand name auto parts store scans your car for free...... by me, its the AutoZone
      10-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #8
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey all,

yeh definitely do not pay the $23k. a used engine would be farrrrrrrrrrr less.......

Like others said, its a 10+yr old car.