XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #23
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingles Wilder View Post
Thank you, good to know. Is the Bavsound amp any good for the factory speakers? As in... get the Bavsound amp and get an aftermarket sub on top of that?
That amp doesn't work with the premium system IIRC, only the base/standard system.

There are some mosconi amps with toslink connections that are plug and play, but also overkill in cost.

I digress... I've been installing car audio in dozens of cars personal, family and friends for over 20yrs. I'm currently swapping an alpine 5ch 600W amp for a new pioneer 2000w 5ch amp in a ford focus ST. Along with speedrings and some MLV and closed cell foam...

I've looked over the JL audio system I mentioned before, and any competent installer can mimic that, with your own components, for under a grand, including speakers and a sub (not including labor) The system can be made to be removable without cutting, or using quick disconnects for future system reversal. Don't be suckered into resale value or whatever of modifying the amp output wires for an additional amp.

Take a look at step 37 onwards...
https://content.abt.com/documents/42...tion-guide.pdf
      09-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #24
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Anything I should know before attempting it? Should I have a pro do it?
I am installing a JL powered dual 8 sub with quick-disconnects so I can easily just pull it from the cargo area should I need to haul anything.

I am assuming it wont be to much of a challenge as the amps to tap the high level outputs from and battery are all located right next to each in the rear.

I am thinking of upgrading the speakers to the Match drop-in replacements and setting it up to a Helix DSP driving a JL 6 channel. My stock system is just the Hifi (one level up from base sound system) which sounds pretty decent but still leaves me looking for more.

Its been a loooooong time since I did anything audio though so going to be a learning experience, (I was in my teens and it was the 90's dropping in a Pioneer premier system in my 320i!),

I will post back once its all done and how those subs sound

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fZ72KE...08LG-W3v3.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #25
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quick disconnects are your friend! I love those things. Plenty of options out there from marine, RV and military applications. Not to mention even RC cars too.
      09-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #26
Dingles Wilder
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Thanks guys. I think I will try to find a decent installer around here. I always feel ambitious about doing it myself, like I did when I was younger, but I just do not have the time to spare or dedicate to it.

My life keeps me pretty busy at the moment, so I would like to find somebody who can do the problem solving part and make it where I can just enjoy the bass. I am a writer and a musician. One of the instruments I play is the bass guitar, so having killer bass in my vehicles is a must for me. I listen to every kind of music possible, from classical to hip-hop to hard rock. So, I like to crank the bass up everywhere I go.

I just do not know where the time goes. When I was younger I felt like I had hours to kill, going to help a buddy install a turbo in his Civic and then jamming until the wee hours of the morning with him. Now, I can barely find the time to dedicate to my own sound system research.

If anybody knows a good installer in Minnesota, let me know!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #27
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:

This company sells an amp and speaker/sub upgrades. I wonder if they are any good...
Not worth the money for their speakers if you want 4" mids and tweeters get the GRS 4" mids, and infinity reference 3/4" textile done tweeters for half the price.

The amp will help the most though. The speakers need good power and tuning. The factory mids really aren't bad, but the tweeters are absolute trash.