XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
David Schapiro
SouthernBimmer
Chile
Rep
Drives: E71 35XDrive 2013

HID HALO Finally!

First of all, sorry for my English. I'm not a native English speaker (or writer), so sometimes I use any word that I think fit, but not necessarily the best one there.

Having said that, I was looking for a long time for a tutorial where someone transformed the yellowish OEM Halo (angel eyes) into the ultra bright white ones, like the new 2015+ models. I'm not talking about the easy halogen to LED replacement, which look nice at night, but as outdoor light shines, they look dim until they almost seem not to be lit at all (I went through that way in my former e90).

I started looking for a high quality HID conversion kit. I wanted to be as close as possible to BMW reliability (one never could get there, but the closer the better). I finally stood with a Philips Xendrive XLD CK G4 Canbus, H8 type.

My first attempt failed, because is was nothing but flickering. I guessed that an anti flicker module (H8) before the ballast should solve this. Right? WRONG!. Still flickering. Every step for me is 2-3 month; I do live in Chile, so Sh&H to here, customs, Etc. takes about 2 months, and having FOUR (yes, 4) children also takes away a lot of free time.

I studied about power consumption, ETc., and supposed that the current drain from the ballast is more than the current the lighting module of the car can provide (although HID's are supposed to draw less than the halogen bulbs they replace...).

This way, 2-3 months later, I received my H8 Relay kit.
Last Saturday I received it, and after some 4-5 hours wrestling with the wires and harnesses, I achieved to put all of it in place and connected. The hardest part is to put the seal rubber that comes with the HID bulb into the hole I had to drill in the headlight rear cap; the plastic ones that you remove to replace a bulb. That is a little nightmare, because of the short cables and the little room left (big hands, in my case, means plenty small scares in my hands for a few days).

Finally, I got everything working.

The results are nothing but amazing!

The rings are so bright, that they compete or surpass the ones in the newest 2016 bimmers, it is really incredible how the car looks now, achieving a 3-year revamp just as you look at it.

X6 (e71) owners must know that due to a headlight design constrain, the outer ring lits much dimmer than the inner one.

I am attaching some pictures I took, so as to show you:

1) How looks the car with just one of the lights changed, so as to compare the new ones with the old ones.
2) Same picture, a few hours later, at DIRECT SUNLIGHT, where you can see the rings lit very strong.
3) My new setting on my X6, compared to my wife's X3, with OEM white halos, and guess what.... Mines are much brighter.

Final thoughts:

Although it's a half day work, where you will work very hard (or you can take the car to an electrician if you prefer; I am just the kind of schmock that likes to do himself the projects), when finished, it is nothing but an outstanding upgrade. The car looks much younger, and now you can use with pride your DRLs, which distinguish clearly at direct sunlight.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Dave, from Chile!
Attached Images

FORMER: "alpinized to 215 HP" 320D e90
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

English might not be your primary language, however, it's better than some for whom it is!

Lights look great. Put some links of where your bought your parts, as well as any install pictures in the event others would like to follow your lead.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
if u drill holes into headlight housing. did u seal it up?
you might get condensation inside the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
English might not be your primary language, however, it's better than some for whom it is!

Lights look great. Put some links of where your bought your parts, as well as any install pictures in the event others would like to follow your lead.

LOL, ain't that the truth.....
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 0