XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 x5m

Multiple misfire, dsc and xdrive malfunction after new turbos

I’ve been fighting this for a few days and I’m hoping for some input. I just had the turbos rebuilt by comp turbo for the woman’s x5m, while in there I replaced the thermostat, belts, tensioner, small vacuum lines, and spark plugs. Everything went great, started the car and it idled fine, maintained perfect temps, drove for about two miles perfectly. Then all hell broke loose. The car has misfire on cylinders 4,6, and 8. It also threw a dsc and xdrive malfunction, and shut the car off. It did this twice while I tried to limp it home within a mile stretch.

Pulled codes are
P0300
P0304
P0306
P0308
P11B1
Brake light and 4x4 light on
Dsc and xdrive malfunction and vehicle goes Into a braking coast and dies once stopped

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Mechanically everything seems fine and I am quite stumped. If I can’t figure it out by Monday I’ll have to pony up and pay someone with the proper software
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I'd start by pulling the coil of the easiest to access of cyl 4/6/8 individually and start the car with a plug plugged into it and still attached to the wiring harness - just make sure it is indeed firing.

If so pull the plug and check it.

If all still looks well I'd still do another cylinder similarly to cross check the logic.

Then if still those look fine, start looking for things that that bank shares...

HPFP? Clogged cat? Did the compressor side of that banks turbo dump a bunch of crap from the wheel into the motor? What injectors are in play index wise (still old or recall delivered upon to index 12)?

Also, get a cheap scope and look down into the cylinders to see if you have any scarring.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep

I should add that the car ran fine before doing the turbos, it just threw a low boost code when you got on it for too long and while in there figured I’d do the other maintenance since I had to wait on fed ex and comp to do their end.

Injectors I will have to figure out determining index numbers and see what’s in it. We’ve had it for about a year and the dealership has no previous history on it.

I do have a scope and planned on looking down in. I want to make sure the spark plug gap is correct also and swap coils around to see if it follows. The likelihood of 3 failing at once just seems small.

Cylinder 4 is on a different bank and exhaust manifold so I don’t believe it to be turbo related.

What throws me off is i cleared it and came out the next day and started it again and it ran and idled perfectly fine for 15 minutes, drove it a few miles fine and then issue repeated. I use to be a tech but never had an issue like this That I could solve without the proper software. I have the connector but do not own a computer to download the software. I’ll have to do it though since we have 3 bmws now and she’s looking at getting another. But then I can get the software for our Audi and tuning on the truck. I recommend never owning 7 vehicles if you enjoy free time.

I am also trying to figure out why I did this work but am throwing a brake, 4x4, dsc, and xdrive malfunction shutting the vehicle off. And I can’t seem to find a description of code P11B1 online. The randomness and spread of this makes me believe it may be a computer problem or ground
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

You can eliminate the DSC codes by going full lock left and full lock righ then back to center on the steering wheel. Happens every time you unplug the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep

This happened at 60mph and shut the vehicle off, battery was also not disconnected
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Ohh...yeah the full lock probably won’t fix that. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

On coils - I had one go bad, replaced it and then two more went bad three days later... I then replaced all 8.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep

That would sound like my luck to have multiple go bad. I did measure the ohms between a known good and the bad ones though and they measured the same. Either way, I’ll just drop it off Monday since it needs an inspection and I’m already working 80 plus hour weeks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep

Ended up being that a crank case breather line coming up the side somehow unhooked. Amazing what a little hose can do. Car runs great now
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmanz View Post
Ended up being that a crank case breather line coming up the side somehow unhooked. Amazing what a little hose can do. Car runs great now
Glad to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Yup mine was cracked in half. shitty hoses.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Not trying to be a smart ass but also make sure the 02 sensors are plugged to the right connector. I was an idiot for not double checking and had similar symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #13
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Not trying to be a smart ass but also make sure the 02 sensors are plugged to the right connector. I was an idiot for not double checking and had similar symptoms.
I can definitely see that happening. But I’ve learned over the years to label everything. Especially when it’ll be apart for a few weeks or months

I need to invest in a smoke tester and either inpa or foxwell. I have the connector for inpa but don’t feel like buying a computer and the headache of getting it to work correctly
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
I can definitely see that happening. But I’ve learned over the years to label everything. Especially when it’ll be apart for a few weeks or months

I need to invest in a smoke tester and either inpa or foxwell. I have the connector for inpa but don’t feel like buying a computer and the headache of getting it to work correctly
I highly recommend using ISTA-D or Rheingold. Many techs use this software to diagnose issues. The best thing is it makes use of all the sensors and modules in the vehicle to conduct tests on its own. It has built-in tests for specific vehicles based on the fault code present. You tube might have some videos on how these tests are like. If not feel free to send me a pm.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
Gregmanz
Lost user
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I highly recommend using ISTA-D or Rheingold. Many techs use this software to diagnose issues. The best thing is it makes use of all the sensors and modules in the vehicle to conduct tests on its own. It has built-in tests for specific vehicles based on the fault code present. You tube might have some videos on how these tests are like. If not feel free to send me a pm.
I will have to look into that. Thank you
Appreciate 0