XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TL TypeS

Difference 2011 X5 vs 2012 X5

I have looked at 2 black X5's this week.. and the 2012 smelled a LOT cleaner and was a "nice place" to live. but the 2011, had nearly zero smell, and the leather seemed much drier. Maybe it needed some conditioner?

Is there a difference in leather between the 2011 and 2012 X5?

I know the halo / angel eyes are Yellow on the 2011, vs. white on the 2012.

Is the leather different too? Or was I just looking at a "unclean" 2011? It sure was in good condition though. Both had between 60 and 65k miles.

What other differences? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
There are no differences that I'm aware of between 2011-2012 X5M's. If the 2011 was built after 10/10.

The 2013's added LED lights and blue calipers. Most likely the color difference on the angel eyes for the 2012 are becasue someone modded them.

Get which ever one is in best shape. Make sure the following has been done on the car or be prepared for some expensive repairs;
rear main seal replaced
vacuum pump replaced
injectors
oil pan gaskit
filtered air ducts

Pretty much everyone has those parts fail and many are in the thousands to have repaired.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Thanjs for the reply. But I am looking at 2 35i's.

As for the color difference in all BMW angel eyes/ "halo" between 2011 and 2012, it does exist in All.. even 3 series and x5, and it is well documented on YouTube. With upgrade procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
There are no differences that I'm aware of between 2011-2012 X5M's. If the 2011 was built after 10/10.

The 2013's added LED lights and blue calipers. Most likely the color difference on the angel eyes for the 2012 are becasue someone modded them.

Get which ever one is in best shape. Make sure the following has been done on the car or be prepared for some expensive repairs;
rear main seal replaced
vacuum pump replaced
injectors
oil pan gaskit
filtered air ducts

Pretty much everyone has those parts fail and many are in the thousands to have repaired.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX5 View Post
I have looked at 2 black X5's this week.. and the 2012 smelled a LOT cleaner and was a "nice place" to live. but the 2011, had nearly zero smell, and the leather seemed much drier. Maybe it needed some conditioner?

Is there a difference in leather between the 2011 and 2012 X5?

I know the halo / angel eyes are Yellow on the 2011, vs. white on the 2012.

Is the leather different too? Or was I just looking at a "unclean" 2011? It sure was in good condition though. Both had between 60 and 65k miles.

What other differences? Thanks!
The differences between a 2011 and 2012, non-M, that come to mind are:
-halogen/yellow coronas on the 2011, LED on the 2012
-if M Sport/2011, Adaptive Drive is included. Adaptive Drive was a standalone option in 2012+
-different package configurations in 2012 - many options moved from Technology to Convenience Package, thusly Technology package included different stuff 2011 vs. 2012
-other option changes - heated front seats optional in 2011, standard in 2012
-the biggest one, especially on the 35i - if not equipped with Premium Sound Package the 2011 will have the S645 US Radio option w/ just 6 speakers. The 2012 will have S676A Hi-Fi as the base audio system, which is a huge upgrade over S645A

There were 2 different grades of leather - the standard Nevada leather and the upgraded full Nappa. They feel different, but condition could also have something to do w/ the differences you noticed.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      07-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! I bet that is the major difference on the inside. That navada leather. I doubt it was nappa because it simply didn't have that nice leather smell.. at all.. Strangely, overall the 2011 is in MUCH better condition than the 2012 but the interior in the 2011 was somewhat of a "let down" even though nothing was ripped but there were a few scratches on the silver trim plates.
I think both did not have M-sport.
I would have bought the 2012 a few days ago but passenger door had a really bad ding right on the crease of the door, at the top where that natural line is. And there were a few other weird things like that around the outside of the vehicle. PLus the rear hatch rattled! I drove a 50i 2 weeks ago and the rear hatch rattled also! I think they all rattle..

Both 35i's had the 20" wheels.
Strangly, between these 2 35i's, the one I like for the interior (the 2012) was roungh on the outside.
And the one I liked for the outside and overall condition (the 2011) had a rougher inside and it didnt smell as nice..

So im still stuck!. haha X5less..

one thing I learned, for the reasons stated above, I think I want to avoid the 2011's because of the interior. Plus, many of the 50i's in 2011 had a HUGE amount of buybacks! I've reading carfax's on 50i's for a bit longer than I have been a member here. And I see many 2011's as buybacks. I just dont want to buy anyone's trash even if it is under 25k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
The differences between a 2011 and 2012, non-M, that come to mind are:
-halogen/yellow coronas on the 2011, LED on the 2012
-if M Sport/2011, Adaptive Drive is included. Adaptive Drive was a standalone option in 2012+
-different package configurations in 2012 - many options moved from Technology to Convenience Package, thusly Technology package included different stuff 2011 vs. 2012
-other option changes - heated front seats optional in 2011, standard in 2012
-the biggest one, especially on the 35i - if not equipped with Premium Sound Package the 2011 will have the S645 US Radio option w/ just 6 speakers. The 2012 will have S676A Hi-Fi as the base audio system, which is a huge upgrade over S645A

There were 2 different grades of leather - the standard Nevada leather and the upgraded full Nappa. They feel different, but condition could also have something to do w/ the differences you noticed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I bet that is the major difference on the inside. That navada leather. I doubt it was nappa because it simply didn't have that nice leather smell.. at all.. Strangely, overall the 2011 is in MUCH better condition than the 2012 but the interior in the 2011 was somewhat of a "let down" even though nothing was ripped but there were a few scratches on the silver trim plates.
I think both did not have M-sport.
I would have bought the 2012 a few days ago but passenger door had a really bad ding right on the crease of the door, at the top where that natural line is. And there were a few other weird things like that around the outside of the vehicle. PLus the rear hatch rattled! I drove a 50i 2 weeks ago and the rear hatch rattled also! I think they all rattle..

Both 35i's had the 20" wheels.
Strangly, between these 2 35i's, the one I like for the interior (the 2012) was roungh on the outside.
And the one I liked for the outside and overall condition (the 2011) had a rougher inside and it didnt smell as nice..

So im still stuck!. haha X5less..

one thing I learned, for the reasons stated above, I think I want to avoid the 2011's because of the interior. Plus, many of the 50i's in 2011 had a HUGE amount of buybacks! I've reading carfax's on 50i's for a bit longer than I have been a member here. And I see many 2011's as buybacks. I just dont want to buy anyone's trash even if it is under 25k.
The Nevada was the base/standard leather. The Nappa was the upgrade. The 2011 vs. 2012 interior is the same - you could opt for Nevada or Nappa either year.

I would personally go for a 2012 in most cases, mostly because the coronas look current whereas the halogens look really dated. And the audio system - you don't need the Premium Sound Package on a 2012 to have a good sounds system. Keep in mind you have looked at just 2, there's a ton out there for sale. I had mine shipped from out of state to get the one I wanted. If you are only looking local to you, your options will be limited.

The 35i and 50i are two different animals from both a performance, and maintenance standpoint. They should probably not be considered side by side...meaning you should first decide which motor you want, then from there you choose your color, options, miles, condition, etc. I'm a big fan of the 50i despite the additional maintenance, but if you read around this forum, the 50i is frowned upon. Mostly from people who don't own a 50i...

Post up the VINs of the 2 35i's you're looking at, lets see how they're optioned.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
SMH - for less than $100, the dealer could have fixed the dent and you might have pulled the trigger - anything on a good dealer's lot should be clean and fully reconditioned for the prices they're asking (in general, that's the role of a dealership)

The last 7 of the VIN would let you decode (BMWVIN dot COM) the options to let the forum make an objective comparison, then up to you for the subjective decision
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed. I know they are 2 different animals. I have consistently been more interested in the 50i for horsepower and torque. But in Dallas, there are not that many and the ones I have seen had problems. So, since I never drove a 35i.. I thought, what the heck.. I'll go test drive them. But I will not buy one without the 20" wheels. Surprisingly, the salesman that drove me off the lot, he nailed it and it took off quite well! I even said "wow".
In the 50i's that I have driven 2011-2013, each one had
an annoying amount of delay or throttle response. Like slack in the throttle. One was so bad that I almost leaned forward before it took off. It totally annoyed me. I heard about turbo lag, but this was so bad it was like the engine was not even responding to my input..

The 50i's also have a very tight engine bay. I mean I don't even know if I will be able to replace the water pump in a 50i without dropping the motor. crazy! And after sitting that 35i, I may be over emphasizing my own personal need for the 50i. After all, i'm not really looking for a hotrod but I do want it to go. I would like for it to go fast, but what are my expectations? This is what I have to ask myself. And to be honest, my Acura TL responds immediately to the throttle, even though it doesnt torque like my old camaro. Ya, I've always had horsepower and torque like 300hp/350ft but TL's only have about 260hp/250ft.. but still the response in the TL is much quicker off the top of the throttle than any 35i or 50i that I have driven.
Plus, the last 50i I drove, it sure was "shift happy". I guess those 8 speeds, it just bounces around a lot. I thought that was overboard. Can't it go strong with only 4, 5 or 6 gears? haha Seems like 8 gears is too much.

But anyway! the point is, I can use my TL for a fast car if I want that.. I mainly need an x5 so I can put my bike it the back, and plus I need to buy a chair.. And I cant fit a chair in my TL. Plus I can put a hitch on the X5 and tow a trailer or another car, like my TL, when it comes time to move, I live in an apartment.

The flip side is I thought about scrubbing the 2012 and 2013 model years, and stepping up to a 2015 50i and trading in the TL, even though they'd probably only give me 3k for the car. I think its worth more than that since it runs and drives and looks great. (Type-S mods).. I was off yesterday and today and looked at those 2 35i's. And I called on a 2015 50i, but the saleman said someone has a deposit on it.. And they have 5 days to close the deal. So, That one was $42k. Much higher than these 2012-sih 35i's. So i was going to drive that 2015 but was not able since there is a deposit on it. In general, I think the 2014+ are over priced. I even thought about an S-drive because X-drive is jsut more maintenance and transfer cases and all that and front axles that will need to be replaced.. Plus wihtout the FWD, it might even be faster, and we dont get any real snow in Dallas, TX. But I dont know what I want yet. haha

Warning, looks are deceiving here: There is door damage and 1 wheel has some scratches, and the hood has 3 scratches that you cannot see.
5UXZV4C59CL760470
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/44805339

And warning on this one too. Those nice pictures are when the owner bought it when it has 25k miles.. So I asked him to post New pictures. So, the other ones in the street are current. Who would do something like that? Post old pictures when it was new? hahaha crazy!
No Vin
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...610627168.html

Quote:
The Nevada was the base/standard leather. The Nappa was the upgrade. The 2011 vs. 2012 interior is the same - you could opt for Nevada or Nappa either year.

I would personally go for a 2012 in most cases, mostly because the coronas look current whereas the halogens look really dated. And the audio system - you don't need the Premium Sound Package on a 2012 to have a good sounds system. Keep in mind you have looked at just 2, there's a ton out there for sale. I had mine shipped from out of state to get the one I wanted. If you are only looking local to you, your options will be limited.

The 35i and 50i are two different animals from both a performance, and maintenance standpoint. They should probably not be considered side by side...meaning you should first decide which motor you want, then from there you choose your color, options, miles, condition, etc. I'm a big fan of the 50i despite the additional maintenance, but if you read around this forum, the 50i is frowned upon. Mostly from people who don't own a 50i...

Post up the VINs of the 2 35i's you're looking at, lets see how they're optioned.

Last edited by BlackX5; 07-20-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And to be honest, my Acura TL responds immediately to the throttle, even though it doesnt torque like my old camaro. Ya, I've always had horsepower and torque like 300hp/350ft but TL's only have about 260hp/250ft.. but still the response in the TL is much quicker off the top of the throttle than any 35i or 50i that I have driven.
That seems really hard to believe. There is very little turbo lag in both the 35i & 50i. And given the 50i's 200 foot pounds of torque advantage over your TL-S...a 50i will quite honestly wipe the road with your FWD 6 cylinder Acura.

Quote:
Plus, the last 50i I drove, it sure was "shift happy". I guess those 8 speeds, it just bounces around a lot. I thought that was overboard. Can't it go strong with only 4, 5 or 6 gears? haha Seems like 8 gears is too much.
8 does sometimes seem like a lot, but 6 is not enough. Get a late 2012 with Sport or M Sport and you'll get the shift paddles and you can hold the gear where you want them. But truthfully, at least in the 50i, the torque curve is so linear, the paddles offer little to no performance advantage over justing mashing the gas.

Quote:
The flip side is I thought about scrubbing the 2012 and 2013 model years, and stepping up to a 2015 50i and trading in the TL, even though they'd probably only give me 3k for the car. I think its worth more than that since it runs and drives and looks great. (Type-S mods).. I was off yesterday and today and looked at those 2 35i's. And I called on a 2015 50i, but the saleman said someone has a deposit on it.. And they have 5 days to close the deal. So, That one was $42k. Much higher than these 2012-sih 35i's. So i was going to drive that 2015 but was not able since there is a deposit on it. In general, I think the 2014+ are over priced. I even thought about an S-drive because X-drive is jsut more maintenance and transfer cases and all that and front axles that will need to be replaced.. Plus wihtout the FWD, it might even be faster, and we dont get any real snow in Dallas, TX. But I don't know what I want yet. haha
I hear you on the F15. It's a generation newer and offers a lot more tech, but it's also a lot more $ and doesn't really drive that much different. The E70 is a bargain right now!

Quote:
Warning, looks are deceiving here: There is door damage and 1 wheel has some scratches, and the hood has 3 scratches that you cannot see.
5UXZV4C59CL760470

And warning on this one too. Those nice pictures are when the owner bought it when it has 25k miles.. So I asked him to post New pictures. So, the other ones in the street are current. Who would do something like that? Post old pictures when it was new? hahaha crazy!
No Vin
No VIN available on either one of these. Both look pretty stripped based on pics. Sport Package + 20's but not much else. Probably have Convenience Package but missing pretty much everything else, which is a lot. 2nd one has comfort seats. But again, so many package and options available on these, and both of these are missing pretty much everything else after Sport Package and 20's.

Last edited by jiggz; 07-20-2018 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

1/4 mile wise, the 50i is faster by 1 second than a 2005 Base TL. (not the TypeS) And 0-60 the 50i is 0.6s quicker. But I'm not really talking about smashing the throttle to the floor.. Only just plain initial throttle response on normal driving. Every X5 I have driven I always have to move the throttle a 1/4 inch or so before it responds. haha

I just found this.. This is what I am talking about.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1087537

To me, it sounds like a throttle position switch problem. Like an old switch that is worn in its "home" position.

Quote:
That seems really hard to believe. There is very little turbo lag in both the 35i & 50i. And given the 50i's 200 foot pounds of torque advantage over your TL-S...a 50i will quite honestly wipe the road with your FWD 6 cylinder Acura.

8 does sometimes seem like a lot, but 6 is not enough. Get a late 2012 with Sport or M Sport and you'll get the shift paddles and you can hold the gear where you want them. But truthfully, at least in the 50i, the torque curve is so linear, the paddles offer little to no performance advantage over justing mashing the gas.

I hear you on the F15. It's a generation newer and offers a lot more tech, but it's also a lot more $ and doesn't really drive that much different. The E70 is a bargain right now!

No VIN available on either one of these. Both look pretty stripped based on pics. Sport Package + 20's but not much else. Probably have Convenience Package but missing pretty much everything else, which is a lot. 2nd one has comfort seats. But again, so many package and options available on these, and both of these are missing pretty much everything else after Sport Package and 20's.

Last edited by BlackX5; 07-20-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

rear main seal replaced
vacuum pump replaced
injectors
oil pan gaskit
filtered air ducts

Good luck.
Um my 2012 has the led DRL, 2011 had halogen DRL.

2012 was the first year for the LED DRL in the X5.

Ohhhh wait your talking X5M well that's different, standard X5 had the LED's DRL added in 2012

Also I think their was color options that was available in the 2012 vs 2011, like the oyster color was new for 2012 not sure though.

But the LED DRL was the big exterior change
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

Quote:
In the 50i's that I have driven 2011-2013, each one had an annoying amount of delay or throttle response. Like slack in the throttle. One was so bad that I almost leaned forward before it took off. It totally annoyed me. I heard about turbo lag, but this was so bad it was like the engine was not even responding to my input..
Those 50i's had clearly something wrong with the engine. There is zero lag when 50i engine has no air leaks, pressure converters are working and turbo's are spinning as they are designed. The N63 was specifically designed with turbo response in their mind at München:

Text from N63 workbook:
Great importance is attached to turbocharger response in the N63 engine. A delayed response to the driver's command, i.e. the accelerator-pedal position, is not acceptable.
The driver therefore must not experience any so-called "turbo lag". This requirement is met in the N63 engine with two relatively small turbochargers, which are connected in parallel. Each cylinder bank drives one exhaust turbocharger.
The advantage of smaller turbochargers lies in the fact that, as the turbocharger runs up to speed, the lower moment of inertia of the turbine causes fewer masses to be accelerated, thus allowing the compressor to attain a higher boost pressure in a shorter amount of time.

I have both engines in our garage. 35i has noticeable turbo lag, 50i has immediate response to the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Is it possible to look at the pictures in those 2 links and tell if both of those X5's have Nevada leather? or does 1 have nappa? I'm not sure what I am looking at. I do think with the 2014+ X5's, more of those have the nicer seat leather. Maybe that is nappa? But people say the 2011-13 also have nappa on some models too. So I am confused.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it possible to look at the pictures in those 2 links and tell if both of those X5's have Nevada leather? or does 1 have nappa? I'm not sure what I am looking at. I do think with the 2014+ X5's, more of those have the nicer seat leather. Maybe that is nappa? But people say the 2011-13 also have nappa on some models too. So I am confused.

Neither of those do, I don't think. I'm pretty sure the full nappa included the leather dashboard and neither of these have the leather dashboard. I'm not 100% on that but somewhat certain.

Neither are optioned that well so I'd be surprised if they had the upgraded leather as it's not that common. Best thing to do is get the VIN from the sellers and decode it online to know for sure what it has.

I have the Nevada leather and it doesn't bother me, but your Acura might have better leather so maybe that's why it doesn't seem great?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Neither of those do, I don't think. I'm pretty sure the full nappa included the leather dashboard and neither of these have the leather dashboard. I'm not 100% on that but somewhat certain.

Neither are optioned that well so I'd be surprised if they had the upgraded leather as it's not that common. Best thing to do is get the VIN from the sellers and decode it online to know for sure what it has.

I have the Nevada leather and it doesn't bother me, but your Acura might have better leather so maybe that's why it doesn't seem great?
I think you are probably right. The dashboards on both are that rougher material, which I like. It doesn't need to have Nappa. I like the Nevada too. But for some reason, as I mentioned, the 2012 smells clean inside and the 2011 does not. The interior is much cleaner on the 2012 but the outside of that thing is not good. It has a huge ding and nicks on the passenger drivers door. Plus the 2012 pulls to the right. So it needs an alignment at a bare minimum. But the 2011, drove perfectly. And the outside is nearly perfect too.. Both are opposites of each other. I can deal with the yellow headlights in the 2011 because I can upgrade the bulb for less than $100. But I would like the cleaner / better smell of the 2012. Granted, the owner of the 2011, said he plays "sand volleyball".. He said "foregive the clutter".. I was like.. okaayyy.. He said he hated to part with it. He said he didn't drive it much and I beleive him. He was not much of a DIY'er.. He has new front brakes and new front tires and the rears are ok too. But he took off the badges! But I can fix that.. haaha anyway, I can clean it, since everything else he took seemingly too care of, but I don't know if I can get back that nice clean smell. It needs to leather conditioner no other..

I just saw this X5 this morning.. Low mileage, good price , 8 cyl.. but skinny tires and a white headliner! Ouch!! Why is everything wrong? haha I'm ready to buy if I can find something..
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...646876578.html

by the way, I bet if I get the carfax to this 50i in the link above, I wouldnt doubt it if it is a buyback. 2011 + 50i = highrisk of buyback.

Last edited by BlackX5; 07-21-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you are probably right. The dashboards on both are that rougher material, which I like. It doesn't need to have Nappa. I like the Nevada too. But for some reason, as I mentioned, the 2012 smells clean inside and the 2011 does not. The interior is much cleaner on the 2012 but the outside of that thing is not good. It has a huge ding and nicks on the passenger drivers door. Plus the 2012 pulls to the right. So it needs an alignment at a bare minimum. But the 2011, drove perfectly. And the outside is nearly perfect too.. Both are opposites of each other. I can deal with the yellow headlights in the 2011 because I can upgrade the bulb for less than $100. But I would like the cleaner / better smell of the 2012. Granted, the owner of the 2011, said he plays "sand volleyball".. He said "foregive the clutter".. I was like.. okaayyy.. He said he hated to part with it. He said he didn't drive it much and I beleive him. He was not much of a DIY'er.. He has new front brakes and new front tires and the rears are ok too. But he took off the badges! But I can fix that.. haaha anyway, I can clean it, since everything else he took seemingly too care of, but I don't know if I can get back that nice clean smell. It needs to leather conditioner no other..

I just saw this X5 this morning.. Low mileage, good price , 8 cyl.. but skinny tires and a white headliner! Ouch!! Why is everything wrong? haha I'm ready to buy if I can find something..
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...646876578.html

by the way, I bet if I get the carfax to this 50i in the link above, I wouldnt doubt it if it is a buyback. 2011 + 50i = highrisk of buyback.
I would opt for the 2012 for many reasons over a 2011. You can always have door dings removed and have it detailed/paint correction.

Keep in mind the 2011 with new corona bulbs will never look anything like a 2012, if that makes any difference. The entire design of the corona is different for 2012.

What about expanding your search? 50i's aren't real common so extending the search will increase your odds of finding something that checks more of your boxes.

No Sport or M Sport package on that last 50i you listed so you don't get the darker headliner, among many other things. Also notice it has chrome window trim instead of the black shadowline trim on the Sport/M Sport. I'd find one with at least the Sport Package...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would opt for the 2012 for many reasons over a 2011. You can always have door dings removed and have it detailed/paint correction.
true but costs and takes time. And if the paint color matches that would be a trick, plus you have to worry about even if the clear coat "orange peel" will match the factory orange peel. And all these X5's have some "fish eye" from the factory. So, odds are, it won't match. The seller was offering to fix it, but I am uneasy about that until it is fixed. Plus his price is nearly as high as a 50i. haha

Quote:
Keep in mind the 2011 with new corona bulbs will never look anything like a 2012, if that makes any difference. The entire design of the corona is different for 2012.
That's what I am scared of. What if it doesn't turn out right? bummer.

Quote:
What about expanding your search? 50i's aren't real common so extending the search will increase your odds of finding something that checks more of your boxes.
I'm afraid of buying "site unseen" because pictures don't tell the whole story as I have found out by looking at local ones. But I am tempted though.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #18
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
1/4 mile wise, the 50i is faster by 1 second than a 2005 Base TL. (not the TypeS) And 0-60 the 50i is 0.6s quicker. But I'm not really talking about smashing the throttle to the floor.. Only just plain initial throttle response on normal driving. Every X5 I have driven I always have to move the throttle a 1/4 inch or so before it responds. haha

To me, it sounds like a throttle position switch problem. Like an old switch that is worn in its "home" position.
I will make an observation about the 35i and the 50i. Having driven both and had both as loaners... the 35i is fine for driving around town and if your looking for a reliable easy to live with car. However it shows its lack of power in highway passing maneuvers. The 35i isn’t a slug, but passing on two lane highways, or under taking that brain dead driver impeding traffic in the left lane on a divided highway is where the 50i shines. If you don’t find yourself passing a lot then it may not be worth while.

I would also mention if towing I would select the 35d or 50i over the 35i. I found my 48i only adaquate for towing with 360hp and 360lbft. I would think the 35i would get the job done, but it won’t be relaxed or quiet as you’ll be reving it and in 3 or 4 th gear to clear grades. The 50i/m/35d have enough torque you can sit in 8th or 6th depending on the transmission and tow more scernely and with superior on ramp power.
Appreciate 1
BlackX514.50
      07-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
PrescottX5M
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

I bet the one that smells good uses Griots leather care. I've been using it for years, the smell of $1000 jacket is unrivaled. Keeps the leather perfect too!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrescottX5M View Post
I bet the one that smells good uses Griots leather care. I've been using it for years, the smell of $1000 jacket is unrivaled. Keeps the leather perfect too!
Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #21
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

I will make an observation about the 35i and the 50i. Having driven both and had both as loaners... the 35i is fine for driving around town and if your looking for a reliable easy to live with car. However it shows its lack of power in highway passing maneuvers. The 35i isn't a slug, but passing on two lane highways, or under taking that brain dead driver impeding traffic in the left lane on a divided highway is where the 50i shines. If you don't find yourself passing a lot then it may not be worth while.

I would also mention if towing I would select the 35d or 50i over the 35i. I found my 48i only adaquate for towing with 360hp and 360lbft. I would think the 35i would get the job done, but it won't be relaxed or quiet as you'll be reving it and in 3 or 4 th gear to clear grades. The 50i/m/35d have enough torque you can sit in 8th or 6th depending on the transmission and tow more scernely and with superior on ramp power.
Also note the dinan upgrade software at the dealer is now only 500 bucks and it supposedly raises the hp and torque on the 35i

300hp = 350hp
300tq = 400tq

So not a bad upgrade for 500. Now whether it reaches those numbers who knows.
Appreciate 1
BlackX514.50
      07-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #22
BlackX5
Private First Class
Rep

here is a 2016 X5 with 20" wheels and 16k miles for only $25k
but it has mixed reviews that do not sound optimal. but not horrible either .
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45444489

the ad says 35i but the door says 40e
Appreciate 0