XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Import-Tuner83
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

iPod Integration E70

Hello there!

Can anybody tell me the difference between the USB-adapter (located in the arm rest) and the iPod-adapter (located in the glove compartment and replaces the cd-changer)? With both solutions it is possible to control the iPod over the cars iDrive-button and see the playlists on the screen, but the prices are about 26 bucks for the USB- and almost 400 for the iPod-adapter. So it has to offer something more in my opinion. (Don't be confused about the prices, I live in Switzerland, so they're in swiss francs, it's just to imagine the relations)

My BMW-dealer has absolutely no idea.

Thank you for any help!

Greetings from Switzerland
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Droptopp
2015 X5 50i, 2013 550ix, Alpha 9 GTR, 2015 Denali
Rep
Drives: X5 / 550ix / GTR / Denali

The USB cable will work with a cover. The cradle will not.

The cradle is high quality and allows for you to snap in the phone securely, however you will lose a portion of your centre console. It's a thermoplastic type material and can pivot up to get to things under the cradle.

Please also note that the iPhone does not allow for Bluetooth or direct connection (USB or cradle) for email or txt messages. The iPhone Bluetooth does not support it.

Believe it or not, I use both depending on how I use the phone in the car.

Personally I'd go for the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Import-Tuner83
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Thank you for your answer. But I guess you got me wrong, I was talking about the iPod only, I'm not using a phone in the car. So it's just about the music

The BMW accessory-list offers two solutions, one is the USB-adapter in the armrest, the other (much more expensive) is called the iPod-adapter, which replaces the cd-changer and is located in the glove compartment. I'd like to know the difference. Do both solutions display the cd-covers on the navigation screen?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

If my interpretation from the manual is correct, with the USB in the glove box you can import and export music via a USB device. You cannot do this with the center console USB.
Appreciate 0