XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
x5driver123
Rep
Drives: x5

Trans. Malfunction message on 2009 X5 4.8i

Hello, This is the 2nd time my E70/4.8i throwing this transmission malfunction message and goes into a limp mode. This issue is listed in various forums, many ending with no solution or say dealer replaced the entire transmission.
Anybody experienced this issue would like to share their experience? I would be interested to know any way to diagnose/repair the transmission than paying a lot of money to replace the entire unit

There are threads on the E53 forums that describes replacing the mechatronics unit fixed a similar problem. Is it applicable to E70 also ? Other than going into the limp mode while I get this message, my E70 DOES NOT experience any shifting or other transmission related problems while it works right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

I had the same problem with my 4.8i 2008 last summer. In my case it was something related with high battery discharge. The dealer replaced my 5 year old battery and my alternator. Never had this problem ever since
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
x5driver123
Rep
Drives: x5

rcpx6m. Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it
how many instances of this error before dealer replaced battery and alternator? Also if it happened more than once, wondering what was the frequency of this error ?
For me it happened twice. few months ago and then last month ( but this is not my daily driver, so I use it only for long trips once in a while) each time after driving close to an hour. I have had dealer replaced battery an year ago, still on the original alternator that came with the car
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

To me it happened 3 days in a row. Each time i shut down the car after the problem appeared, i had to put wires and "take" voltage from other car to start it. Left it like that for 1 hour and afterwards it was ok. Next day in the morning same problem, and the same in 3rd day until i called a platform and sent it to dealership.
Appreciate 0