XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

bmw x6m top gear review

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x6/road-test/m
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

The review was typical snotty British. Oh yes it's fast but its ugly and would only appeal to shallow Americans and Chinese. Sheez.
There actually is a niche for this vehicle. Americans don't buy wagons so this fits nicely in between a car and an SUV (something I was looking for).
If the Audi RS6 wagon would have been available I may have picked that.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

"The reason for the X6 M's super saloon speed is simple in a very technically and typically complicated BMW way. I'll simplify: they take the stock 4.4-litre V8 motor, drop a pair of twin-scroll turbochargers into the V, bolt on a couple of intercoolers and, voilà, another 155bhp is born."

Obviously knows nothing about this car or even bothered to check. I stopped paying attention to top gear, they are too biased and lack basic journalistic integrity when it comes to facts.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Top Gear is nothing more than humor. that is why they are popular.

They drool over $1million Bugattis, and yet have guest drive a cheap economy car around the track. I mean come on, who cares how fast they can go.

So don't take Jeremy seriously. No one else does. Accept it for the humor it is a not an authority on cars.
      09-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Conflicted opinions.

All reviews are educated opinions & should be taken with a grain of salt. The designers are not conflicted at all they've designed & produced a vehicle based on their expertise.
The people who cannot decide what the x6 is, they are the ones conflicted!
Let them buy their version of a jacked up station wagon on steroids!

Yes we want a SUV with more sport & less utility, because despite the sport in Sport Utility, there is not a lot of the sport in most SUVs
Yes, we want a high riding sport coupe so we can look eye to eye with F150s on the road.
People are the sum of their contradictions.
The world is big enuf for all of us the last time i looked!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
All reviews are educated opinions & should be taken with a grain of salt. The designers are not conflicted at all they've designed & produced a vehicle based on their expertise.
The people who cannot decide what the x6 is, they are the ones conflicted!
Let them buy their version of a jacked up station wagon on steroids!

Yes we want a SUV with more sport & less utility, because despite the sport in Sport Utility, there is not a lot of the sport in most SUVs
Yes, we want a high riding sport coupe so we can look eye to eye with F150s on the road.
People are the sum of their contradictions.
The world is big enuf for all of us the last time i looked!
I have driven regular SUV's. I think they are quite dangerous. The X6 removes the danger by providing a very safe vehicle with great handling.

Why does Jeremy and the other bozos think nothing of someone driving a crappy Tahoe that rolls more than a Chinaman making fortune cookies, but it is not ok to make a better performing SUV?

To make matters worse, all the attacks on the X6 come down to looks and interior room. You know why? Because they can't attack anything else. People like Jeremy crying at the thought of technology being available where a truck can drive better than a 5 series. They don't like it. What they don't like they attack.

Last edited by chuck92103; 09-30-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
SandmanTR
Bleeds Black and Gold
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 (Oct 6 ED) & '14 M6 GC

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I have driven regular SUV's. I think they are quite dangerous. The X6 removes the danger by providing a very safe vehicle with great handling.

Why does Jeremy and the other bozos think nothing of something driving a crappy Tahoe that rolls more than a Chinaman making fortune cookies, but it si not ok to make a better performing SUV.

To make matters worse, all the attacks on the X6 comes down to looks and interior room. You know why? because they can't attack anything else. People like Jeremy cring at the thought of technology being available where a truck can drive better than a 5 series. They don't like it. What they don't like they attack.
+1

Current Ride: 2015 Slate Grey Jaguar F-Type R Coupé
Current Ride: 2014 Ruby Black ///M6 Gran Coupé
Current Ride: 2010 Alpine White X6 ///M
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

Why does Jeremy and the other bozos think nothing of someone driving a crappy Tahoe that rolls more than a Chinaman making fortune cookies, but it is not ok to make a better performing SUV?

To make matters worse, all the attacks on the X6 come down to looks and interior room. You know why? Because they can't attack anything else. People like Jeremy crying at the thought of technology being available where a truck can drive better than a 5 series. They don't like it. What they don't like they attack.
The last phrase should be-' what they dont understand they attack!!

The article is not nade by jeremy!! We must wait for his opinion!!! I want to see if this car handles and goes!! i dont care what they think about design; i know i love it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I rarely agree with their opinions yet I never miss an episode! My 9 & 11 year old boys are totally hooked on it because they think they are funny and they actually learn something. I'm pretty sure that is the intent of the show. Enjoy their wacky reveiws and we will enjoy are cars!
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Don't be put off by the tone of the article - its just British humor and being clever with words; he probably couldn't be published without setting such a tone. You can tell the author appreciates the M6 when he describes it as brilliant (high praise in England), the chassis as amazing, and lauds its ability to get up and go NOW! His concluding thesis is that the X6M has no (good, to him) reason to exist since you can get the same performance in the roomier but more pedestrian (my opinion) X5M. This exposes the problem with almost all reviews - that the author has no tolerance for any taste other than his own.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Brutal Groceries
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Don't be put off by the tone of the article - its just British humor and being clever with words; he probably couldn't be published without setting such a tone. You can tell the author appreciates the M6 when he describes it as brilliant (high praise in England), the chassis as amazing, and lauds its ability to get up and go NOW! His concluding thesis is that the X6M has no (good, to him) reason to exist since you can get the same performance in the roomier but more pedestrian (my opinion) X5M. This exposes the problem with almost all reviews - that the author has no tolerance for any taste other than his own.
I agree. I read it as quite a positive review. They didn't call it "rubbish"!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

ok..thats his opinion...i think X6M is amazing ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #13
x838nwy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: nothing right now...

Guys, Top Gear and specially Mr.Clarkson has always been controversial with their/his views on things. They traditionally dislike SUV's and among themselves disagree regularly (and humorously). So it really doesn't mean a whole lot that they don't like it. In fact, I think the reviewer (Pat Devreux) rather likes it. It's not going to get superlatives like an Lambo or a Ferrari, but praises are plenty there.

Being quite a fan of Top Gear, I think the review is really positive as a whole. It makes me want one more after reading it, and that's really what counts.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Top gear - sure it's entertainment and sometimes a lot of fun. If I was buying a Lambo or an DB9, would I really care what Jeremy thinks? I'm sure everyone in the audience holds their pee waiting for him to issue the verdict "and I love it" (yawn).

I occasionally watch the Australian version on the 'tube, but it's rather boring as a formula driven knock-off. I heard they offered Leno a shot at a US version but he turned it down because he felt the US manufactures couldn't handle Jeremy's style of sarcasm, and I'm sure he's right.

I get more out of seeing them drive the cars than what they actually have to say about them. FWIW.
Appreciate 0