XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
RobbyP
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6M, 550i

Thumbs down Trashed Cylinder Head... Cross threaded bolt by tech... X6 M S63 Engine. :(

I found out yesterday that the tech who installed the replacement fuel injectors (under recall) on my X6 M cross threaded the bolt that locks in the piece that holds injectors 5 & 6 in place. The bolt hole is garbage and, worse, the vibration of the injectors (which shook themselves apart, actually...) warped the holes that they go into and the head needs to be replaced.

Dealership that has the truck now (not the one that did the damage) says that there are ZERO available in the US... 7 in The Germany. Truck is down for 2-3 weeks. While I am supposed to be on a Cross Country Tour.

So: Bad Day.

Apparently, this is a "known issue" and a warning went out to techs to be careful about cross threading this particular bolt because of its location relative to one of the lines connected to the fuel pump on bank two. Anyone else dealt with it? or, familiar with the response from the dealership responsible?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Vortechys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d m sport, 2010 X5M

You might want to try to Helicoil the stripped bolt hole. Helicoil's are threaded inserts.
They make all sizes and work great. This would save you from needing a new head.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
Rikkem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortechys View Post
You might want to try to Helicoil the stripped bolt hole. Helicoil's are threaded inserts.
They make all sizes and work great. This would save you from needing a new head.
The problem is not in a threaded bolt. When the threads are torn off, the injectror begins to vibrate. The tip of the injector is sealed by a teflon ring, from vibrations it breaks the landing surface of this ring in head and the exhaust gases from the combustion chamber come out through injector hole in head.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
RobbyP
United_States
Rep

^^ yep ^^
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Vortechys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d m sport, 2010 X5M

That sucks!!!
Now I understand why you need a new head.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Wait... the dealership employee did this right? Have you politely asked how the dealership intends to resolve the issue? This is exactly why dealerships carry insurance that covers errors & omissions for their techs.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #7
RobbyP
United_States
Rep

Update: The Dealer filed an insurance claim and they covered all the costs (as well as a rental 2018 Suburban for the month it took get my truck squared away).

Nashville BMW did all the work to fix my truck, they were not the dealership that did the damage in the first place. They were OUTSTANDING throughout the entire dilemma.

The truck is running strong... in fact, I tracked her last week:
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyP View Post
Update: The Dealer filed an insurance claim and they covered all the costs (as well as a rental 2018 Suburban for the month it took get my truck squared away).

Nashville BMW did all the work to fix my truck, they were not the dealership that did the damage in the first place. They were OUTSTANDING throughout the entire dilemma.

The truck is running strong... in fact, I tracked her last week:
Huge WIN! That's great news. Horror story at first, of course, but I'm happy all players did the right thing for you. Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0