XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
nomz09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5

replacing angel eyes on 2012 x5 sport activity with m sport package

Hi,

I did look a round and googled about changing the led oem angel eys in my 2012 x5. but i cant find where is the led bulb for my x5. can anyone please tell me where i can tfind it? i wanna change it to lux led. but i can only see one opening and it is for headlight. is it also inside there? if so, where exactly it is? this is not same set up as older bmw x5 where running lights is separated in headlight. Please help. thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomz09 View Post
Hi,

I did look a round and googled about changing the led oem angel eys in my 2012 x5. but i cant find where is the led bulb for my x5. can anyone please tell me where i can tfind it? i wanna change it to lux led. but i can only see one opening and it is for headlight. is it also inside there? if so, where exactly it is? this is not same set up as older bmw x5 where running lights is separated in headlight. Please help. thanks in advance
I'm confused? LUX bulbs are typically used in 2011 and earlier models w/ the OEM halogen coronas. Do you know if LUX are even compatible with the 2012 models - the 2012 corona is a completely different design from the 2011 and earlier, I don't think it even has an actual bulb, just the LED rings. I had LED coronas retrofitted on my E90 M3, and there's no longer a bulb like I had prior to the retrofit when it was a halogen corona.

Even if they are compatible, why would you use those? I'd like to see this, if even possible, because the LUX look like crap, IMO, compared to the 2012+ coronas.

In regards to your question, not sure where you access them at. But if the OEM setup is anything like the LED retrofit on my M3, there is no bulb, just the LED rings wired up.

Keep us posted what you find out!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I'm confused? LUX bulbs are typically used in 2011 and earlier models w/ the OEM halogen coronas. Do you know if LUX are even compatible with the 2012 models - the 2012 corona is a completely different design from the 2011 and earlier, I don't think it even has an actual bulb, just the LED rings. I had LED coronas retrofitted on my E90 M3, and there's no longer a bulb like I had prior to the retrofit when it was a halogen corona.

Even if they are compatible, why would you use those? I'd like to see this, if even possible, because the LUX look like crap, IMO, compared to the 2012+ coronas.

In regards to your question, not sure where you access them at. But if the OEM setup is anything like the LED retrofit on my M3, there is no bulb, just the LED rings wired up.

Keep us posted what you find out!
Not all 2012's came with the LCI setup in the front, some early models carried the halogen setup over.

I have the Lux 180s and I agree, they aren't even close to the factory LCI's. However, I wouldn't call them crap. They are better than anything else out there, definitely better than the stock setup...aside from retrofitting, of course.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Not all 2012's came with the LCI setup in the front, some early models carried the halogen setup over.

I have the Lux 180s and I agree, they aren't even close to the factory LCI's. However, I wouldn't call them crap. They are better than anything else out there, definitely better than the stock setup...aside from retrofitting, of course.
I've never seen or heard of a US spec 2012 E70 with halogen coronas other than the X5M? I know 2011 35d's can be found with either halogen or LED, depending on build date.

Anyhow, I saw another thread where the OP was selling LUX bulbs. Not to speak for him/her, but it sounds like they had the LUX bulbs in a 2007 X5, which they sold/traded into a 2012 X5, and figured to swap the bulbs over into the newer one, not realizing there was no reason to do that, and likely not even possible given the totally different design. Just me reading between the lines though, could be wrong!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I've never seen or heard of a US spec 2012 E70 with halogen coronas other than the X5M? I know 2011 35d's can be found with either halogen or LED, depending on build date.

Anyhow, I saw another thread where the OP was selling LUX bulbs. Not to speak for him/her, but it sounds like they had the LUX bulbs in a 2007 X5, which they sold/traded into a 2012 X5, and figured to swap the bulbs over into the newer one, not realizing there was no reason to do that, and likely not even possible given the totally different design. Just me reading between the lines though, could be wrong!
Hmm, could have sworn I read that somewhere but I could be wrong...could also have been regarding the E71. Couldn't find anything to back it up either, so you could be right.

EDIT: Just looked at his FS thread, was posted before this one...

Surely OP looked at the rings themselves before posting (not surprised if he didn't) and is not just wasting our time. Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
nomz09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5

sorry got busy..but on 2012-2013 e70 you cannot changed as it is no longer a bulb.its lci set up. so, since i no longer need it, i just sold it. no point for me to keep it..sorry, i thought it can change..but guess not
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomz09 View Post
sorry got busy..but on 2012-2013 e70 you cannot changed as it is no longer a bulb.its lci set up. so, since i no longer need it, i just sold it. no point for me to keep it..sorry, i thought it can change..but guess not
No worries

Your current 2012 stock setup is better than what those aftermarket bulbs would have done, even if you could have swapped them in.

Enjoy the new X!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

does anyone have any pictures of the above mentioned Halos? I would like to see the difference out of curiosity
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0