XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
pambrosetti
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 XDRIVE 30

Exclamation Non-Comfort Access Key Dead

Okay guys, total newbie here. Sorry in advance.

Yes, I've searched the forums already. No, I haven't found an answer.

So I bought a 2009 X5 from a dealer last week. I noticed that the key only started the car while it was in the charger and none of the lock/unlock/hatch buttons worked on it. Dealer said its battery was just dead and that I needed to take it on a long trip to charge up.

Okay... After taking it on a 11 hour trip back home that didn't do the trick. What's curious is that my car doesn't tell me that the battery in my key is low. I can only lock/unlock it by pulling the blade out and manually doing it.

Is it possible someone just bought a replacement key and put my blade in that? Do I need to just take it to my local BMW dealership and get it re-programmed? Or is my key really dead and I need to buy a new one? Thanks in advance!

Also... I should note that I checked the fuse panel in the trunk and noticed quite a bit of empty slots, but I'm pretty sure that is standard and my car would have a lot more problems than just a malfunctioning key. If I need to go to AutoZone and plug a bunch of new fuses in, by all means someone please tell me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
uran_gashi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 3.0si

I had the same problem with my spare non comfort access key. You have to cut it open carefully and I ordered a replacement rechargeable battery online for $4. I glued the case back together and have had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

The battery is a standard thing at your local bestbuy even drugstore.

On my 2012 the case opened easy and snapped backed together.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pambrosetti View Post
Okay guys, total newbie here. Sorry in advance.

Yes, I've searched the forums already. No, I haven't found an answer.

So I bought a 2009 X5 from a dealer last week. I noticed that the key only started the car while it was in the charger and none of the lock/unlock/hatch buttons worked on it. Dealer said its battery was just dead and that I needed to take it on a long trip to charge up.

Okay... After taking it on a 11 hour trip back home that didn't do the trick. What's curious is that my car doesn't tell me that the battery in my key is low. I can only lock/unlock it by pulling the blade out and manually doing it.

Is it possible someone just bought a replacement key and put my blade in that? Do I need to just take it to my local BMW dealership and get it re-programmed? Or is my key really dead and I need to buy a new one? Thanks in advance!

Also... I should note that I checked the fuse panel in the trunk and noticed quite a bit of empty slots, but I'm pretty sure that is standard and my car would have a lot more problems than just a malfunctioning key. If I need to go to AutoZone and plug a bunch of new fuses in, by all means someone please tell me.
First of all does your X5 have comfort access? Easiest way to confirm, look at the door handle to see if there are ridges. If the ridges aren't there you don't have comfort access.

If your SAV is equipped with comfort access then the key fob has a CR2032 3 volt battery that is easily replaced.
Now if comfort access is not part of the equation the symptons you describe sounds like the key fob needs to be replaced. There is no battery within the key fob.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Non-CA remote has a rechargeable battery. It's possible to replace, but it will require cutting the remote along the seam to open it.
Appreciate 0