XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Where can I find a sport airbag cover?

I'm looking to buy a sport airbag cover. I'm hoping to save costs, and transplant my non sport airbag into a (hopefully new), but not bmw costing) sport cover. From my research, it appears to be easy, but I can't seem to locate a cover. I'd be totally ok with a Chinese cover as long as it looks the same.
      06-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
Icero1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E70

Are you talking about the steering wheel airbag? If so, the cover with the emblem and all is part of the airbag unit as a whole, and it would seem trying to replace just the could lead to some questions about the safety of the thing.

Also, isn't the entire steering wheel different for the sport and the airbag differently shaped?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icero1 View Post
Are you talking about the steering wheel airbag? If so, the cover with the emblem and all is part of the airbag unit as a whole, and it would seem trying to replace just the could lead to some questions about the safety of the thing.

Also, isn't the entire steering wheel different for the sport and the airbag differently shaped?

Swapping the airbag between the sport and non sport covers is a pretty well documented thing. The airbag itself is identical.

I'm swapping to a sport steering wheel, for the feel of it. Feels way better, and I drive 40k a year how the steering wheel feels to me is a decent upgrade. I want to put my airbag in the sport steering cover because I know it's been replaced under the last round of the Takata recall.
      06-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Icero1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
Swapping the airbag between the sport and non sport covers is a pretty well documented thing. The airbag itself is identical.

I'm swapping to a sport steering wheel, for the feel of it. Feels way better, and I drive 40k a year how the steering wheel feels to me is a decent upgrade. I want to put my airbag in the sport steering cover because I know it's been replaced under the last round of the Takata recall.
Ah ok, makes sense. I'd never heard of just being able to swap an airbag cover before.
Appreciate 0