XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
IRSQU
Rep
Drives: 11 X5 MSG, 35i Sport

Running board metal speck oxidation, fix required

Was told the tiny oxidized specks, that I thought was coming up from the bottom was actually superficial flakes oxidizing from the top.

Anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it? Is there a product available to restore the showroom appearance back to my running boards.

Lmk
2008 Infinity FX35 sold
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I Coupe/2017 Macan

You have whats called rail dust. Some say it's from the plow blades grinding on the streets all winter and it also can come from industrial fallout. It's probably all over the lower portion painted parts of your car also. There is a product called Iron X that turns this stuff purple when sprayed on then washed off. I have to do all my cars each spring (just did X5 last weekend) to get this crap off. Follow with clay bar then polish then wax (or just wax). It smells like hell but it will get the junk off your boards. It wont however get any of the other weird spots that seem to accumulate on these boards. Amazon has it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Yes Iron X works great. You may need a couple hits with the product then you can use a sealer or better Opti-coat to sealer.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
IRSQU
Rep

Thanks Overhead and thanks again Denaliman. nice to hear from you again.
After I read your post, I looked up IronX and where to get it in Canada. Found, "Olde Town Auto Spa," in Niagara on the Lake who will ship a single bottle for a fraction of Amazon.
Thanks for the tip and I'm sure all will work out great.
Off to Canadian Tire to get a Mothers clay rub.
Love this forum!
JT
Ps: Denaliman- front drivers rim looks and drives awesome. Son drives much safer now, go figure. $2k bill miraculously slowed him down.
2008 Infinity FX35 sold
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSQU View Post
After I read your post, I looked up IronX and where to get it in Canada. Found, "Olde Town Auto Spa," in Niagara on the Lake who will ship a single bottle for a fraction of Amazon.
Love this forum!
JT
Ps: Denaliman- front drivers rim looks and drives awesome. Son drives much safer now, go figure. $2k bill miraculously slowed him down.
Eshine in PT. Colborne has it as well. I keep a gallon on hand. If you were close I would give you some.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSQU View Post
Love this forum!
JT
Your welcome IRSQU. When you get your Iron X do the whole car. Usually about beltline down. Do wheels also. Wet car then spray on. After a few minutes it will start running purple. Agitate with a rag then rinse off. It will start turning purple again after you rinse. Keep at it and don't let it dry on the car. When completed wash entire car with car wash soap and water. I used just over half a bottle on my X5 and the remaining was enough to do my 335I.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
IRSQU
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overheadvalve View Post
Your welcome IRSQU. When you get your Iron X do the whole car. Usually about beltline down. Do wheels also. Wet car then spray on. After a few minutes it will start running purple. Agitate with a rag then rinse off. It will start turning purple again after you rinse. Keep at it and don't let it dry on the car. When completed wash entire car with car wash soap and water. I used just over half a bottle on my X5 and the remaining was enough to do my 335I.
Will do. 48 hr turn around, delivered today. Is it ok if it gets on plastic? Lmk
2008 Infinity FX35 sold
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep

Yes it's OK. It wont hurt the plastic. You may get a continuing purple stream out of the front of door side molding that will need rinsed often to quit running out purple.
Appreciate 0