XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #23
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
As far as I am aware these tuning boxes (P-tronic, Spider etc) do not alter the boost, they only increase the fuel pressure. That's not to say fuel pressure variations could be logged (max-min), but I was surprised (a few years ago when I had lots of issues with my X5 4.8is) how little information was actually logged. Times may have changed though.

Just to add to this debate, these tuning boxes make a very worthwhile improvement to the driveability of the 35d. Fuel economy improves by around 4mpg, you can now drive in 'D' and get the kind of responsiveness that was previously only available in 'DS'. Overall it feels a more relaxing engine to use and it pulls harder at higher revs before it runs out of momentum.

It would be interesting to compare a proper remap (which alters boost, fueling duration and pressure) with the simpler tuning box. I wonder how the full remap feels by comparison.
If fuel economy increased, most likely smog/pollution levels did as well. Otherwise BMW would make this standard.

Here in the U.S. we have srict smog standards and regaulr testing is required.
      08-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #24
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
That's not to say fuel pressure variations could be logged (max-min), but I was surprised (a few years ago when I had lots of issues with my X5 4.8is) how little information was actually logged. Times may have changed though.
BMW is very active in trying to detect any kind of fiddling with their electronics/engines...

While the P-tronic offer seems extremely attractive, I won't install it during the first two years (waranty period in Europe), this way I do not comprise my warranty and in the meantime I will read the comments on the forum..

If anyone blows up his engine or has any other problem due to this mod. please share with the rest of us...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Thanks for the info on both fitment and what happens when the car is in getting serviced. I think his decision is made and he is about to order it, though I still think he will remove it when the car is in getting serviced, just in case.

Regarding the performance one can expect, how much of an improvement did it make to the 635d, roughly in seconds from 0-100mph.
0-60 dropped about 1 second, I have just covered 500 miles at about 85-95 MPH most of the time, the car returned 39.7 MPG, now thats great for a 635DS
weather was not good either rained a lot. I have just removed it ready for the new X6 to arrive, it's in transit they say at the moment so could come any day now. Will keep you posted as and when.
Appreciate 0