XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I'm a long term Land Rover/Range Rover owner. It was a tough choice to choose the X5 50i over the Range Rover or Range Rover Sport.
I called BMWNA today on two issues:

1. I purchased BMW Apps and have the smart phone integration in order to get full functionality, I needed to buy the snap in adapted for the iPhone.

a. I think it is crazy that you can order an option that requires another piece of hardware; but, it is not included. Charge $150 more for BMW Apps and just include the snap in adapter. You already have added the monstrous mounting point in the console, include the stuff I need.

b. If you did not order the snap in adapter at the time of purchase, BMW expects you to pay $250 for the piece, a $100 premium. There is no installation, it literally snaps into place.

2. On Friday, 8/26, I used the Idrive to request an appointment from service to get the state inspection. (I did PCD, so inspection was not available) As of 4:00PM 8/31, no one had contacted me. I stopped at the local dealer at 5:00PM and was told "head over to service, they will take care of you. Inspections are not a problem." Get to Service at 5:20PM and was told "You can come in tomorrow at 11:30 or Friday at 7:40AM. No loaner cars available. I really would not mind; but, I just drove 20 blocks out of my way in rush hour traffic. It would have been much easier for the showroom to call service to confirm they could take me.

I ended up calling my Range Rover sales person to see about selling my truck to a person in service. I told her about my troubles. She called service, I can drop off my truck at their service for the inspection and she has a Range Rover HSE or Jaguar for a loaner. She also offered to buy me the snap in adapter for a "new car gift". She said they have some discretionary money to spend on customers and would not mind "making my BMW whole."

BMWNA must have learned customer service from the East Germans. They should hire someone from Range Rover or American Express Platinum to teach them customer service. 6 days into ownership and I already know BMWNA customer service is useless. So much for the ownership experience.

Last edited by Brian425; 08-31-2011 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
laperacfo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
I know what you mean. I have the BMW apps too but than realized that I also needed the adapter. I also personally find the adapters useless because I tend to change phones all the time. Just leave it as a usb connection so either a iPhone or Android will work.

The NYS inspection should take no less than 30mins since it's a new car. The BMW service department should had just taken care of this for you on the spot when you first showed up. Laziness! There are excellent dealers and there are terrible dealers. I tend to avoid all dealers in the 5 boroughs. NJ and LI dealers only.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

That's interesting. I had the exact opposite experience with Range Rover vs BMW. My far too frequent service trips to Land Rover were consistently horrific experiences. Currently on my 4th BMW and can't praise them enough.

Hang in there. There may be a reason you know the Land Rover people so well.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

It will be interesting to see the difference in responses here versus on bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
14bmws
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

If you are unhappy sell the X5 and go back to Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Kristalov
Dr. K
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 718 GT4RS,'19 F82, '24 G87

Garage List
I'd have to say I agree that I had more problems with my RR Sport HSE than any of the BMW's I've had.

That being said BMW NA does not always impress me. Sounds like you have a good Land Rover dealer sorry about the BMW issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep

I like the truck, not happy with the customer service. Plus, I would take a big hit selling the truck after a week. I'll find a dealer that takes care of customers.

We will be in the market for a new vehicle for my wife next year. Unless I find a good dealer, I will skip BMW. That will be a $70+ lost sale for them.

I have a 2008 RR and a 1999 Discovery. If anything, I will wait for the new RR body style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14bmws View Post
If you are unhappy sell the X5 and go back to Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep

I know the Rover people so well because I went to the off road events and hung out with the staff. Yes, all Rovers leak. My 2008 RR leaked power steering fluid the 1st day I brought it home!!!

The key was how the dealer handled it. They drove a loaner RR with 100 miles on it to my house the same day. They fixed the leak and delivered the truck back to my house the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
That's interesting. I had the exact opposite experience with Range Rover vs BMW. My far too frequent service trips to Land Rover were consistently horrific experiences. Currently on my 4th BMW and can't praise them enough.

Hang in there. There may be a reason you know the Land Rover people so well.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
laperacfo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
Responses here are usually more polite.
Appreciate 0