XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

Air Con compressor

Hi All,

I have a 2008 3.0sd e70. I picked it up from auction and other than what I'm about to ask about, it has been pretty trouble free.

Now the hot weather has hit, I have been needing to use the air-con, however, it doesn't even attempt to get cold. I've got it booked in for a recharge this weekend, however, I have a feeling it might be something else. When I switch on the air-con on the dash, I don't hear any clicks or whizzes or anything from in the engine bay, I'm assuming the compressor isn't coming on.

Is there any way to check this? I have the carly app for BMW, but can't find anything in there that might help, incidentally, there are only 3 fault codes being recorded, 2 for glow plugs and 1 for info-particle system 00452a. These look unrelated.

I have also had the high battery drain warning show up recently, not sure if that is related.

Any ideas / suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by veearrsix View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2008 3.0sd e70. I picked it up from auction and other than what I'm about to ask about, it has been pretty trouble free.

Now the hot weather has hit, I have been needing to use the air-con, however, it doesn't even attempt to get cold. I've got it booked in for a recharge this weekend, however, I have a feeling it might be something else. When I switch on the air-con on the dash, I don't hear any clicks or whizzes or anything from in the engine bay, I'm assuming the compressor isn't coming on.

Is there any way to check this? I have the carly app for BMW, but can't find anything in there that might help, incidentally, there are only 3 fault codes being recorded, 2 for glow plugs and 1 for info-particle system 00452a. These look unrelated.

I have also had the high battery drain warning show up recently, not sure if that is related.

Any ideas / suggestions?
When you have it off look at the pulley, it's a clutch style, when you activate it does the pulley start spinning? The center part should be spinning when activated, sometimes the clutch goes and it stops engaging. So if you have the AC on and the center part of the pulley is not spinning you have an issue.

At least that's how mine works.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
When you have it off look at the pulley, it's a clutch style, when you activate it does the pulley start spinning? The center part should be spinning when activated, sometimes the clutch goes and it stops engaging. So if you have the AC on and the center part of the pulley is not spinning you have an issue.

If I understand you correctly...

I have checked the pump and when the engine is running the outer ring is spinning, but the centre is stationary. When I switch the air con on, the centre remains stationary, but you suggest this should be turning?

See pic

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by veearrsix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

If I understand you correctly...

I have checked the pump and when the engine is running the outer ring is spinning, but the centre is stationary. When I switch the air con on, the centre remains stationary, but you suggest this should be turning?

See pic

[IMG]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psr1ehn6fp.jpg[/IMG]
Yep. That means it's not engaging
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

07 4.8 here

Literally just got a new compressor today in mine. It could be the clutch is bad in yours, mine the compressor shattered internally so I had to get a new one.
Appreciate 0