XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

X5M crappy sound

I test drove the x5m and can get a decent deal on a 2013. It's an awesome car, but one thing that makes me not want one is the exhaust sound. I went through million clips on youtube with custom exhausts and I think BMW forgot how important the sound was.
e92 m3 sounds way better and it's a smaller displacement, e39 m5 sounds very good and AMG's definitely have more v8 rumble.
What is the issue here? Too many resonators?
      05-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

05-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Chania99
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Have you heard one in person or only on Youtube? Before I bought my X6M I heard the crappy exhaust sounds from Youtube clips, but was pleasantly surprised to hear how great it sounded in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

OEM one yes, but nothing with custom exhaust.
It jut misses the rumble that most v8's have.
      05-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

It's a turbocharged engine, that's why. Turbos are spooled up by exhaust gases, which also changes the exhaust flow and diminishes characteristic engine sounds. That's why turbo engines are often accused of sounding like vacuum cleaners.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph Metallic X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I test drove the x5m and can get a decent deal on a 2013. It's an awesome car, but one thing that makes me not want one is the exhaust sound. I went through million clips on youtube with custom exhausts and I think BMW forgot how important the sound was.
e92 m3 sounds way better and it's a smaller displacement, e39 m5 sounds very good and AMG's definitely have more v8 rumble.
Akrapovic Evo mitigates this....however I like the unique sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
Thinkkkker
BMWs since 1977
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M Silverstone

Trust us. If you NEED sound, ok get the Aftermarket Equipment. But there is NOTHING LOUDER THAN PERFORMANCE and this rig has it. Plus, your neighbors might hate you a little less too ;>)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

In my opinion if this truck doesn't sound good to u even in stock form there is something wrong with ur hearing man because theese things sound great. U can't compare it to a NA V8 like the AMG 6.3 for example or a vette, it's apples and oranges u have to appreciate it for the turbo winding up and low gear down shifts and other characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel
In my opinion if this truck doesn't sound good to u even in stock form there is something wrong with ur hearing man because theese things sound great. U can't compare it to a NA V8 like the AMG 6.3 for example or a vette, it's apples and oranges u have to appreciate it for the turbo winding up and low gear down shifts and other characteristics.
The Catted DP's are what eats up the sound of the X5 M / X6 M exhaust.

Go Catless and the truck sounds like a monster!
      05-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I also hated the stock exhaust sound, but would never think of spending $5K+ on an aftermarket exhaust (especially since my car is leased). However, when I installed a tune, my exhaust sound changed completely. It sounds a lot louder and deeper, especially at full throttle. I don't know how they did it, but they did it. As a benefit, you can remove the tune whenever you want to, like when you want to take the car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Legitimate
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: DEATH TO NlGGERS

Think of it this way: Loud exhaust notes only really catch the attention of other enthusiasts, which 99% are men. Most women will think you're just obnoxious. So basically, you want a car with a loud characteristic sound so you can get the attention of other men. That's pretty gay, bro.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
Think of it this way: Loud exhaust notes only really catch the attention of other enthusiasts, which 99% are men. Most women will think you're just obnoxious. So basically, you want a car with a loud characteristic sound so you can get the attention of other men. That's pretty gay, bro.
Was that necessary?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
I've been on a lot of hobby forums in my life and its funny how in EVERY single forum for every 10 people that join the forum looking for solutions and to share their interests, there is this one guy who (instead of offering a solution to a particular problem) needs to offer an "unbiased" opinion and pass judgement on exactly how the world needs to work according to him. It happens everywhere...from carpentry to scuba diving. I just saw a similar dialog on a photography forum last week:

1st Guy: "Hey I just bought this awesome new PhotoSniper Mark III camera and tried to record video with it. The video quality is awesome, but the sound quality is crappy. What was Acme Camera thinking? What can I do about it?"

2nd Guy: "I think that Acme Camera could not put a better internal mike in due to space constraints within the body of the camera. However, you can use a hot shoe to connect an external mike and your will get awesome sound".

3rd Guy: "I don't and never did actually own a PhotoSniper Mark III - I use a PhotoValue 600D (which works fine for me), but why do you need to have good sound in your video anyway? Most women watching your video will just think you are obnoxious. Basically, you just want a camera with a good mike so you can impress other photographers? That's pretty gay, bro"

Think of it this way, "bro": for every possible subject out there, there are people that like it and there are people that don't. It does not mean its good, bad, gay, etc. To each, their own. For example, I think that diesels are typically purchased by people who want longer range and better fuel efficiency, but I also know plenty of people that may think that getting a base model of a car with a diesel engine and then loading it with just about every possible option available is "gay". Go figure...

Can we please just stay on topic of how crappy X5M sound is?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzblau View Post
Was that necessary?
He obviously missed this...

http://www.switched.com/2008/09/04/s...-arouse-women/
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Beautiful!! Ha Ha...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Not really looking for the loudness. More of the v8 rumble. My e53 4.8is sounded great and it was quiet.
      05-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #17
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel View Post
turbo winding up and low gear shifts?? Im confused.
There are plenty of turbo cars out there that sound like they have more muscle. I am not questioning the car's performance at all.
Every engine produces gases whether it's with forced induction or without.
Turbochargers or superchargers do not affect the engine note.
On both type of engines compressed air flows into the engine, mixes with fuel in the cylinder walls, combusts and comes out of the exhaust manifold/ headers. If the car is NA then nothing happens. If there is forced induction involved that speeds up the process of air exiting by 20-30 times.
      05-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
On both type of engines compressed air flows into the engine, mixes with fuel in the cylinder walls, combusts and comes out of the exhaust manifold/ headers. If the car is NA then nothing happens. If there is forced induction involved that speeds up the process of air exiting by 20-30 times.
When it exits through the exhaust manifold it's going right into the turbo, it's like built in mufflers. With the cat'd downpipes it affects the sound even more as it flows out of the turbos. Obviously you can't do anything about the turbos, but you can get new downpipes if you're not worried about emissions.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
There are plenty of turbo cars out there that sound like they have more muscle. I am not questioning the car's performance at all.
That's not correct. While superchargers are driven by a pulley linked to the crankshaft (and don't affect exhaust note), turbos are spooled up by exhaust gases. The exhaust gases are directed right through the turbo to spin the turbine wheel which leads to compression of air into the intercooler and then into the intake manifold. All turbo cars are like this...they always have been.

That's why it leads to a somewhat choppy sound. Different manufacturers mitigate this to varying degrees but it's always going to be there. The X5M still has a good exhaust note but will never have the same sound as a NA V8.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3
Quote:
That's not correct. While superchargers are driven by a pulley linked to the crankshaft (and don't affect exhaust note), turbos are spooled up by exhaust gases. The exhaust gases are directed right through the turbo to spin the turbine wheel which leads to compression of air into the intercooler and then into the intake manifold. All turbo cars are like this...they always have been.

That's why it leads to a somewhat choppy sound. Different manufacturers mitigate this to varying degrees but it's always going to be there. The X5M still has a good exhaust note but will never have the same sound as a NA V8.
This +1
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
Thinkkkker
BMWs since 1977
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M Silverstone

Thumbs up great discussion guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post

Guys this was a good thread and shows the value of this board!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

The OP must have missed this YouTube clip

OK lets put to rest the crappy sound boys...thats why I just did this !

(side note: Exhaust sound is subjective to every listener.)

Too bad it never came stock in our trucks..