XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #1
Lex5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Audi a6 S-Line Vw Gti

Replacing Doors...

Hello everyone. My questions today involve repairing a driver side rear door and possibly even the front as well. Some unfortunate events have cause my front and rear door to be banged into and scraped along a metal barrier at over 70mph. I'm pretty sure the front door can be buffed/sanded and painted and be just about as good as new but unfortunately it's not the same situation for the rear. I have a couple of connections to obtain a "new" rear door and possibly the front for cheap. Can you all confirm for me that as long as the door is the same i.e year shape etc. that my soft close parts and everything else can be transferred to a door that did not have this feature? My main question is, will any e70 x5 door fit? I have a 2013 x5 and have the chance to get two 2010 x5 replacement doors that are the same color basically immediately and for cheap. If I can get both doors in the same color for a low price and just replace instead of repairing the front door it would be much much easier all around for me. Thanks for everyone's time and help on here, I really do appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Not too long ago I purchased a 2013 x5 that had been in an accident. It was sold for salvage so I got it for cheap. It was in immaculate condition other than the two drivers side doors. I replaced them with doors I got from a salvage yard that were the same color (white) and you can't even tell they were replaced. There weren't the same year, I think one was a 2011 and one a 2012, but from what could determine, other than the options of soft close, and the interior trim, the actual doors are identical from 2007-2013. Depending on the color, if you purchase a door of the same color, it might be close enough not to repaint, but I wouldn't count on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 07:14 PM   #3
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex5 View Post
Hello everyone. My questions today involve repairing a driver side rear door and possibly even the front as well. Some unfortunate events have cause my front and rear door to be banged into and scraped along a metal barrier at over 70mph. I'm pretty sure the front door can be buffed/sanded and painted and be just about as good as new but unfortunately it's not the same situation for the rear. I have a couple of connections to obtain a "new" rear door and possibly the front for cheap. Can you all confirm for me that as long as the door is the same i.e year shape etc. that my soft close parts and everything else can be transferred to a door that did not have this feature? My main question is, will any e70 x5 door fit? I have a 2013 x5 and have the chance to get two 2010 x5 replacement doors that are the same color basically immediately and for cheap. If I can get both doors in the same color for a low price and just replace instead of repairing the front door it would be much much easier all around for me. Thanks for everyone's time and help on here, I really do appreciate it!
Yes everything will swap over. You'll need to swap over the entire latch/mechanism because it's different, kind of tedious job as there's not much room. Also make sure you swap the key lock as well. Not hard to do at all. Swapping the windows is a pita with releasing stupid plastic clips, requires you to take off all the trim around window. Take special care in removing the outside trim as it's easy to bend, once you bend it, it's f-ed.
      11-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #4
Lex5
Rep

Sweet, thanks you two so much. I'm confident in my mechanic abilities that I can get it done. The doors in question are from a 2010 and the mechanic who has the opp to get them for me says their build date says 2009. So long as all my stuff will swap over I'd much rather get these doors than even attempt to have the front fixed...I'm almost 100% the rear cannot be fixed....at least not perfectly. Such great news as the x5 in question was a mere two weeks old to me when this happened to it!! Poor girl.

Last edited by Lex5; 11-20-2022 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
Lex5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Yes everything will swap over. You'll need to swap over the entire latch/mechanism because it's different, kind of tedious job as there's not much room. Also make sure you swap the key lock as well. Not hard to do at all. Swapping the windows is a pita with releasing stupid plastic clips, requires you to take off all the trim around window. Take special care in removing the outside trim as it's easy to bend, once you bend it, it's f-ed.
It's funny you mention the windows. The doors I'm getting have glass in them but for some reason the tow yard I'm getting the doors from wants me to use my glass and return the glass from their doors. Strange and it sucks that it's a pain but it is what it is I guess. I'm so in love with the e70 x5 since my first one I'm pretty much always willing to do whatever work I have to on them to make them like new and look perfect again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #6
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
It's funny you mention the windows. The doors I'm getting have glass in them but for some reason the tow yard I'm getting the doors from wants me to use my glass and return the glass from their doors. Strange and it sucks that it's a pain but it is what it is I guess. I'm so in love with the e70 x5 since my first one I'm pretty much always willing to do whatever work I have to on them to make them like new and look perfect again.
There is some difference in the glass since some are tinted and some are not, so you might have to switch them out anyway to get them to match the other side. The little clip on the bottom of them is a real pain in the ass, but other than that, they aren't that difficult to get out.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:

Yeah it's honestly pretty easy. Easier than some door's I've taken apart. But yeah if you can recruit someone to hold up on the window while you remove the clips would probably make it much easier. Btw definitely use a heat gun first to remove the inner door insulation arpund the edges, I see your in New Jersey. The butyl glue will peel off nicely if you heat it up. Otherwise it'll just tear.
      11-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #8
Lex5
Rep

So I took apart one of my rear doors on my last x5 so I know somewhat of what I'm up against. The good thing is I'll be using my other buddies shop to do it in as I don't want to end up needing some tool and having to drive to go get it as well as needing help holding the door/window up anyway. Thankfully he'll let me use a bay for as long as I need it so long as it's after 5pm. We're insomniacs anyway so I'm sure it'll work out fine. Believe me, if the glass is the same on the doors as my current ones, I will not be swapping any glass lol.
Appreciate 0