XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

2011 X6 50i Full HID Xenon fog/angel eye upgrade pics!

Just had my full HID Xenon upgrade done and here are the pics

Before , just the angels:

Stock lights and fogs:

Left side angels upgraded:

Left side angels with fogs already upgraded:

Both sides complete with fogs:

Overall I'm very pleased, but unfortunately, it blows errors in reverse and when you make left and right turns when you have the lights set to adaptive drive (light switch all the way to the left, when you signal and make turns, that sides fog light comes on). We're going to try a fix for that, but otherwise no error codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
jkravec
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0i

Looks great! What did you end up using for the fog lights? Did you use the PIAA H8's for the angel eyes? Do you always get the error in reverse or just when the lights are set to adaptive drive?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Both the fog lights and the angel eyes are full HID xenon conversion kits with ballasts. Always get the error in reverse because the fog lights kick on, but when the fogs are on normally, no error.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

info on the kit used for the AE's, brand/price? any extra relays needed for the HID AE's to work properly? All OEM AE functions with the HID kit (fade on/off when locking/unlocking your X6 with the key fob). Any error codes with the AE's?
      07-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Great job! Can you post how much and where the kit was obtained from? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

Looks good i am just about to go that road my self...

Although only if you manage to clear the errors which i hope can be done as the ECU that is throwing the errors requires that the currents in the HID ballast match what a stock bulb would give but 4 ballasts !

I have a feeling that if you remove the fog HID the angel eyes will work fine with HID and no errors, as it the fog that confusing the ECU to give errors.
There are four ballast in place and they all have to be 100% precise to carry the current, as they are not made by BMW there will always be teething problems. philips make a rock solid kit for BMW , thats the one i am getting

(ECU = engine control unit) , just incase its called something else out side of the uk !
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside99 View Post
Just had my full HID Xenon upgrade done and here are the pics

Overall I'm very pleased, but unfortunately, it blows errors in reverse and when you make left and right turns when you have the lights set to adaptive drive (light switch all the way to the left, when you signal and make turns, that sides fog light comes on). We're going to try a fix for that, but otherwise no error codes.

Not quite sure on the otherwise no error , that's enough to see that it does not work just yet for me..

Looks good though i am just about to go that road my self...

Although only if you manage to clear the errors which i hope can be done as the ECU that is throwing the errors requires that the currents in the HID ballast match what a stock bulb would give but 4 ballasts !

I have a feeling that if you remove the fog HID the angel eyes will work fine with HID and no errors, as it the fog that confusing the ECU to give errors.
There are four ballast in place and they all have to be 100% precise to carry the current, as they are not made by BMW there will always be teething problems. philips make a rock solid kit for BMW , thats the one i am going to try , fingers crossed, nice thread though keep it up .

(ECU = engine control unit) , just incase its called something else out side of the uk !
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

I want only AE any info where can we buy kits?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic23 View Post
[/COLOR]

Not quite sure on the otherwise no error , that's enough to see that it does not work just yet for me..
I guess I should explain myself a little better about the errors it's throwing after testing it thoroughly. The only errors it throws are either for the left or right fog light being out. This only happens if 1) adaptive drive is on and 2) the fog lights are off. If you drive with the fog lights on your not going to get an error. It appears the error is blowing because of the "fade in/out" behavior of the adaptive drive. For those not familiar with it, as I explained before, when you are driving at low speed and put your left or right turn signal on, that sides fog light fades on and out to light up the turn. As we all know, xenons don't fade, so it flickers until it gets full power, blows the "fog light out" error, then goes out. Once again if you drive with the fogs on there is no error. Also, there is no error from the angel eyes.

To answer the other question, the ae's do not fade in and out, as it impossible to get xenons to do this.

There are no errors in reverse.

The ae's and the fogs are obnoxiously bright and I'm almost tempted to pull them even thought it cost me $550 to have them installed. It's borderline "fast & the furious" obnoxious, but hey what do I know, I'm not really a modder.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposss View Post
I want only AE any info where can we buy kits?
I had the custom kits installed by board member brabusw209amg. He's from brooklyn and quite famous on the other BMW boards. He has a custom relay/error canceling system, and does sell the kits. Contact him directly.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

can i ask what rating the HID are ?

4300K or higher as i am going to order a HID set to do the angel eyes , but was interested what you went for ? power wise.

Also did you get any errors with just the angel eyes done ?

Or did you not check for errors with just angel eye upgrade ?

I am thinking of doing angel eye HID and just a good halogen H8 bulb on the fogs.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
can i ask what rating the HID are ?

4300K or higher as i am going to order a HID set to do the angel eyes , but was interested what you went for ? power wise.

Also did you get any errors with just the angel eyes done ?

Or did you not check for errors with just angel eye upgrade ?

I am thinking of doing angel eye HID and just a good halogen H8 bulb on the fogs.
6k for the fogs 8k for the AE. Tested before fogs and no errors.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside99 View Post
I had the custom kits installed by board member brabusw209amg. He's from brooklyn and quite famous on the other BMW boards. He has a custom relay/error canceling system, and does sell the kits. Contact him directly.
had a feeling it was brabus/john since you are located in NY. He's a good guy and sells good quality products...I know his HID AE kit isn't an easy install but it's definitely a good outcome....enjoy....is John working on a fix for the error code with the fogs?
      07-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
Motorcepts
Private
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
info on the kit used for the AE's, brand/price? any extra relays needed for the HID AE's to work properly? All OEM AE functions with the HID kit (fade on/off when locking/unlocking your X6 with the key fob). Any error codes with the AE's?
gene, it's my kit =P Who's other kit could it be that retains ALL factory functions and works 100%? LOL.

I will also try to get a fix for the fogs. It's when the car is in adaptive, it turns on one side of the fogs and the system detects it as something different since it runs on lower wattage. HIDs run with less power. Otherwise, there is always no errors.

HID angels will always be no errors. Special modified relays needed to be used along with custom smooth operational boxes along with special ballasts. Cannot just use regular digital ballasts.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well i am interested in one of your kits for my x6 angel eyes

I am just going to put the PIAA H8 in the fogs or a whitish H8 halogen , not so bothered with HID fogs. Mainly just the angel eyes for day time running.

Can you ship me one to the Uk ? ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

brabusw209amg, I would be interested too and am also in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:

I am just going to put the PIAA H8 in the fogs or a whitish H8 halogen , not so bothered with HID fogs. Mainly just the angel eyes for day time running.

Thinking the same, I think there is no need for such trouble going to HID, a good PIAA or other H8 with a super-white color will do the job and no errors....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg View Post
gene, it's my kit =P Who's other kit could it be that retains ALL factory functions and works 100%? LOL.

I will also try to get a fix for the fogs. It's when the car is in adaptive, it turns on one side of the fogs and the system detects it as something different since it runs on lower wattage. HIDs run with less power. Otherwise, there is always no errors.

HID angels will always be no errors. Special modified relays needed to be used along with custom smooth operational boxes along with special ballasts. Cannot just use regular digital ballasts.
figured it is your kit...is the install for the AE's similar to e60's? That DIY can be a bit overwhelming for a "novice"

GLWS

as stated above, brabus sells quality HID products and communication is great...purchase with confidence...
      07-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Motorcepts
Private
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 MBN View Post
brabusw209amg, I would be interested too and am also in the UK.
SOunds great!

Quote:

Yes I can ship to UK. Replied ur PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
figured it is your kit...is the install for the AE's similar to e60's? That DIY can be a bit overwhelming for a "novice"

GLWS

as stated above, brabus sells quality HID products and communication is great...purchase with confidence...
DIY is exactly the same as E60s.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #20
jchoudry
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 35D

How do I go about ordering the Angel Eye Kit. Again I would like you to ship to the UK if possible?

Thanks
Jay
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Jurke85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Angel Eyes

Hello brabusw209amg,

do you sell the full HID xenon conversion kits with ballasts which have flipside99 also to Germany?

Best regards

Jurke85
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
PHILLYX6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg View Post

Hi,
I'm very interested in your DIY HID Xenon upgrade for my Angel's Eyes 2011X6 !
I'm in Philly and can drive up for the installation.
Appreciate 0