XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

New (Used) X5M Ownership Experience

New (used) X5M owner just sharing my experience so far. I picked up my white 2010 X5M back in February 2015. The car had just over 50k miles on it, 1 owner, but not CPO’d as I purchased it at a GMC dealership. I did some research before buying this car as I have scoured this forum and reviewed others’ experiences. So I felt comfortable with this purchase as I had an idea of issues to expect. Also, I decided to purchase the GM Platinum extended warranty (which does extend to X5M) knowing that there will be the potential for some pricey repairs in the future.
It’s been an interesting ownership experience thus far as I have been in and out of the dealership with a number of issues, some self inflicted.
Month 1
-Within first month of purchase, I ran over a huge pothole which resulted in 2 bent rims and scratched front driverside knuckle. The total repair turned out to be ~$2700 which I claimed thru insurance and only paid the $500 deductible. I have the 2 bent rims which I trying to figure out what to do with.
Month 2
-Got the dreaded CEL for reduced power output message and took it to the shop. Initial diagnosis was that the vent valve hoses where leaking so replacement was needed. This is an emissions component which is one of the exclusions in the extended warranty so I had to pay out of pocket ~$1800.
Sidenote: I am keeping a close eye on this as I know others have also replaced the fuel injectors, thankfully after the vent valve hose replacement SA stated the injectors are fine. In the event the injectors go bad, the warranty should cover the expenses as injectors are a part of the covered components.
Month 3
-Currently experiencing PDC malfunction which the dealership diagnosed was due to a bad sensor on the passenger side. The total quote was ~$600 to replace, which was covered by the extended warranty.
-Automatic rear tailgate stopped working so I had to replace both motors, the quote was ~$1200 to replace and thankfully this too was covered by the extended warranty.
To summarize, ownership has been an adventure so far. I think whoever is considering buying this beast, know what you are getting yourself into, BMW’s in general are expensive machines to service. When purchasing a used no CPO’d vehicle, make sure to get a good price and leave yourself enough room to pay for repairs. Also, an extended warranty is a MUST. I have already gotten ~$2000 worth of repairs covered.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I'm sticking to my guns on this one also: CPO is the way to go. Owning these vehicles without a warranty is risky business.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

BMWs out of warranty take some guts to own.

But - Porsche GT cars are FAR FAR worse. They will desensitize you quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Wannabe

I sympathize with you. I have done a ton of research on the M. And the results of research clearly indicate that purchasing an X5M without some sort of warranty (preferably CPO) is indeed risky business. That is why I am still looking and negotiating.

Wish you good luck with the truck.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

I'm glad you got a warranty. I just got into my CPO 2011 X5M and am glad it has a warranty

Cautiously optimistic on how the car will pan out.

Amazing driving car, and really enjoy the performance and feel in such a big and useful car.
Appreciate 0