XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Super loud fan noise

Recently, after driving for 30 minutes, I would start hearing very loud fan noise blasting at full speed. Initially I thought the sound was coming from a bus or a truck, but it is actually from my X6..
It gets so loud that the pedestrians would turn around and stare.

After deeper investigation, I found a pattern:

When the engine temperature reaches 4 blocks (110 degrees C), the fan starts spinning at maximum speed loudly for 5 seconds. Then it repeats several times until the temperature reaches around 3 blocks (90-100 degrees C).

I asked several mechanics, and they all said this is normal.

I don't really think this is normal as I have never heard the fans so loud before.
I am guessing if it could be one of my temperature sensor failing?

Or could a lack of coolant cause the problem? My coolant level is just a tiny bit above the minimum.

P.S. My warranty already expired, so I am seeking advise here.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Problem found, details and costs posted at #8 below

Last edited by zerrantoss; 03-02-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Recently, after driving for 30 minutes, I would start hearing very loud fan noise blasting at full speed. Initially I thought the sound was coming from a bus or a truck, but it is actually from my X6..

When the engine temperature reaches 4 blocks (110 degrees C), the fan starts spinning at maximum speed loudly for 5 seconds. Then it repeats several times until the temperature reaches around 3 blocks (90-100 degrees C).

I don't really think this is normal as I have never heard the fans so loud before.

Or could a lack of coolant cause the problem? My coolant level is just a tiny bit above the minimum.

Thanks!!
Replace your water cooling pump. Apparently it is failing, but slowly.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

+1, assuming you have the N55, the electric water pump often goes out before the warranty is even over.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the suggestions.

I was hoping it would just be a sensor problem..
I heard the electric pump is about $700 Canadian....

My warranty just expired a couple of months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions.

I was hoping it would just be a sensor problem..
I heard the electric pump is about $700 Canadian....

My warranty just expired a couple of months ago.
They are electric. Work for approximately 50k miles, then require a replacement. Your's is just going out slowly. Be careful. At some point in time it can fail completely, while you are driving, then it will cost you additional money for towing. I suggest getting it replaced a.s.a.p. while the car is still can be driven to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
They are electric. Work for approximately 50k miles, then require a replacement. Your's is just going out slowly. Be careful. At some point in time it can fail completely, while you are driving, then it will cost you additional money for towing. I suggest getting it replaced a.s.a.p. while the car is still can be driven to the shop.
Thank you for the kind suggestion.

I will bring my car to the shop tomorrow and have it checked.
I will update back here with what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
empwrd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bmw X5m

Yeah, I had the water pump go out on me in my 335i.. It's not a matter of if, but when. Read: IT WILL go out. It was an easy replacement on the e90, so I'm pretty sure its easier on the e70. Took me about 8 beers, so about 45 minutes to swap it out once she was in the air. After the loud fan comes limp mode every 5 minutes. This will cause massive overheating because there is no longer any coolant flow in ur engine. Do it now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you all for the information guy!!

I took my car in to the shop and read the hidden codes.
The code did say something similar to "Insufficient coolant flowing into the engine".

Over 4 days, the fan starts to spin at maximum speed more often, and much earlier.
The last day i drove, it starts spinning even before the engine became hot at all (about 2 minutes after driving).

I have parked the car in the garage now, because as you guys said, it will go out soon - and I will have to tow the car.

In terms of pricing, I also asked around, and I want to provide some visibility to the people who encounter the same problem in the future.

This is priced directly from the Parts Department of Brian Jessel BMW Vancouver, Canada, as of 2015:

Water Pump: $630
Bolt: $17
Thermostat: $180

Auto Shops will be able to get a 15% discount.
And I was quoted 3.5 hours for the replacement.

So.. definitely a $1000+ job...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
empwrd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bmw X5m

add antifreeze to it too... So $1050
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
daily09X6
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X6 35l

Ding Ding Ding mine went out last weekend as I was going to work YAYYYY!!! So I was late for work then I had to have my car towed back home. I am attempting to remove my waterpump however it being All wheel drive I am unable to get this pump removed. I have watched many videos but those are all just rear wheel drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #11
Bmw x6 n57
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x6

Quote:
Thank you all for the information guy!!

I took my car in to the shop and read the hidden codes.
The code did say something similar to "Insufficient coolant flowing into the engine".

Over 4 days, the fan starts to spin at maximum speed more often, and much earlier.
The last day i drove, it starts spinning even before the engine became hot at all (about 2 minutes after driving).

I have parked the car in the garage now, because as you guys said, it will go out soon - and I will have to tow the car.

In terms of pricing, I also asked around, and I want to provide some visibility to the people who encounter the same problem in the future.

This is priced directly from the Parts Department of Brian Jessel BMW Vancouver, Canada, as of 2015:

Water Pump: $630
Bolt: $17
Thermostat: $180

Auto Shops will be able to get a 15% discount.
And I was quoted 3.5 hours for the replacement.

So.. definitely a $1000+ job...

Hello I own a BMW x6 4.0d 306 cp n57.
For some time the fans are starting to run sometimes and the temperature suddenly fluctuates between 90 and 112 degrees. Is not getting highter then this. But is happening only when I'm driving constantly at 1400-1700 rpm with the cruise control activated. In acceleration or when the engine is idling the temperature is normal, 90 degrees. I'm mentioning that I have a new thermostat, auxiliary new pomp and a new temperature sensor. The car is not losing any coolant and is not making any pressure in the expansion vessel.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:00 PM   #12
miclee116
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hello Everyone! My 2013 X5 with 66k miles had a high temp prompt a month ago so I brought it to the dealership for diagnostic. The replaced my coolant pump for $2000. Then less than a month, the fan starts to turn on intermittently with very loud noise, normally after driving about 10-15 mins. So I brought it back to the dealership. The couldn’t diagnose the exact issue as to what’s failing that causes the fan to turn on to max speed. So the service advisor sent an email directly to BMW asked for advice. BMW responded stating it could be the issue w/ the power supply to coolant pump intermittently failing. Therefore, they recommended to replace the engine harness and the IVM, then recheck. It will cost me $2500.

Does anyone know if BMW’s recommendation correct? Should I have them checked the water pump?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:47 AM   #13
Suffell
Registered
Rep
Drives: gabogini

Quote:
Haunt The House said:

Thanks!!

EDIT: Problem found, details and costs posted at #8 below
Insufficient coolant can lead to overheating, triggering the fan to run at higher speeds to cool the engine. Checking and maintaining the proper coolant level is essential for optimal engine cooling.
Appreciate 0