XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-09-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
sfhikr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e70

Buying E70 - advice on getting maintenance records

Hi - I've done a lot of research on E70s and F15s on this site - so first, thank you all for the wealth of information. I've settled on an E70, 2011 or newer 35i (no V8 and no diesel). I understand the typical maintenance items to expect (VCG, water pump, oil pan etc.) thanks to this site and have found a low mileage (77k) 2011 with extensive maintenance records in carfax.

I've learned through this process that carfax is a source of info but not comprehensive at all. I was actually ready to pull the trigger on another 2011 at a BMW dealership.. carfax looked good, they had serviced it for the past 2 years and then I called the mechanic listed on carfax who serviced it prior. He let me know he replaced the engine with a used one back in 2019 - it had other issues and I should run and not look back. The maintenance data was in carfax but it didn't list the engine, just some other minor stuff. BMW dealer never told me this, nor would they confirm if the VINs matched.

Finally.. here is my question: For this new car, it has like 25 maintenance records at a BMW dealership near me. I just want to know if any of the major stuff has already been done yet, I can see they maintained it exactly how I would hope, just not seeing if things like water pump were done yet. I went to the dealer, I called the dealer, I went through yelp to see what service advisors are cool... nobody has yet to provide me any info... I get that it is private - I don't want the owner's name, just the maintenance. I could buy the car and take it there and I bet they would pull it, or if they were selling it they would pull it... Any guidance or advice as to how I can access prior to purchasing the car? My mechanic that is doing the PPI said he can pull the warranty stuff but I am hoping to get everything. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 06:25 PM   #2
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

Will the dealer do a pre-purchase inspection for you? It may cost a couple hundred or so, but if you really want to know.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
sfhikr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e70

I had a local guy I trust do it. I will probably do what you are saying and pay them for my next oil change and then ask. The car checks out, I have good maintenance records, just want more details.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Is it for sale by the dealer or an individual? Either way, can you just ask the seller for the records? I would think if they want to sell it, they might be willing to provide this info to an interested party.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0