XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-05-2024, 03:57 AM   #1
Bee Em Wee
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche Taycan 4s

Question Advice on new buyer

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so apologise in advance to everyone if I'm doing something wrong or not abiding by any of the guidelines.

I am a car enthusiast based in Greece and have always been infatuated with the X5M E70 series.

My regular car is a Porsche Taycan 4s so I've done my part on the environment and I've been thinking about buying a secondhand BMX X5M E70 with circa 100,000-150,000km.

I would like to request your assistance on the following:

1. Is there something I need to look out for, apart from the obvious and regular items of buying a car with 150k km? Are there any issues specific to these models which need tending to?

2. Is there any specific type of extra you think is very useful/good to have which I need to include in my search?

3. What should I expect on a running cost basis, and what sort of damages might I expect to have?

4. Is there any other information you can share with me on these models?

Thank you in advance for taking the time.

Last edited by Bee Em Wee; 02-05-2024 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: additional point
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

There have been many posts asking these questions so you may want to search. This is the first time answering one of these b/c they are so subjective. My $0.02 FWIW (I have a 2013 X5M):

1. Based on previous answers to this question yes, there several things that could and will break as you'll find in search. However, what's important to me is A) the driving habits of the previous owner and B) how well the previous owner maintained the vehicle. Some of (A) could be found in a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer, there's a reason some used vehicles don't get CPO certification. Get your hands on the dealer WVI if at all possible as it will list all dealer services and recalls if properly maintained.This may be silly to some, but one of the first couple things I look at when purchasing a used vehicle is the driver's seat and the brake rotor hats. Did the previous owner 'attempt in the slightest' to maintain the leather on the entry bolsters? Are the brake disc hats and exhaust piping rusted orange (lots of salt)? I'll stop here, lol.

2. Consider a later model for the technology, so yes, at the very least CIC.

3. I've had my vehicle since 2017 w/15k miles. 30k miles later, I have 19 significant service line item invoices (excluding recalls and maintenance items) in my spreadsheet. Some of this includes: crankcase vent line, steering column replace, starter motor, coolant pump twice, connecting lines and filtered air ducts (very common and critical to healthy operation), upper and lower oil pan gaskets, all four door lock actuators, low temperature coolant hose leak, water pump, expansion tank leak, and a couple batteries. I don't track my vehicle, always take it easy until it's at operating temperature, and have an easy drive to work and back. So even with kid gloves things fail.

4. Add a 90C Thermostat and get the oil analyzed (IE: Blackstone) for bearing debris. A lot of the above was done under third party warranty. The Zurich warranty I had was exceptional and the service advisors loved it b/c there was little to no arguing. Maintain, maintain, maintain.

P.S, the most important note, it is an AMAZING machine.

GL!

Last edited by argento; 02-05-2024 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2024, 08:21 AM   #3
Cnoro
Private
Albania
Rep
Drives: Bmw e70 4.0d xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Em Wee View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so apologise in advance to everyone if I'm doing something wrong or not abiding by any of the guidelines.

I am a car enthusiast based in Greece and have always been infatuated with the X5M E70 series.

My regular car is a Porsche Taycan 4s so I've done my part on the environment and I've been thinking about buying a secondhand BMX X5M E70 with circa 100,000-150,000km.

I would like to request your assistance on the following:

1. Is there something I need to look out for, apart from the obvious and regular items of buying a car with 150k km? Are there any issues specific to these models which need tending to?

2. Is there any specific type of extra you think is very useful/good to have which I need to include in my search?

3. What should I expect on a running cost basis, and what sort of damages might I expect to have?

Thank you in advance for taking the time.
I recommend you e70 5.0M or 4.0d (8G gearbox, twin turbo with msport package) european versions,

you will have fuel costs increase but a few issues compare with the other versions ( 3.5d , 3.0d )

don't buy especially 3.5d
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 12:03 PM   #4
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Oil sump gasket is a right pain to change out... if previous owner has done that, it is a huge plus for you. Transfer cases are a weak point, make sure it is functioning well. Turbo wastegate. Regular BMW stuff like cooling system and oil seals.

Quote:
Sport package or M Sport package is a huge plus. I really like the black headliner and trim, as well as sport seats/steering wheel, and wouldn't get an E70 without it. I'd rather have 18" wheels than 20" as I use it off road, only downside. Tow hitch is nice but rare.

Quote:
Do you do your own work, or send it to a garage? If DIY it's not too bad. If you have to send it into a shop, it can get very expensive. If the issues in question 1 are already addressed, you shouldn't have any unexpected problems, at least for the 35i which is what I know. Just regular maintenance, but that includes suspension refresh and brakes. Not weak areas, just regular car stuff.

Quote:
Buy private party from owner who can provide documentation of work done!!! Avoid buying from a sales lot that doesn't know anything about the car and probably just bought it at auction from someone that didn't want to maintain it any more. Higher mileage isn't bad on these vehicles IF properly maintained.

If you don't already, learn to work on it yourself and you will appreciate it more, as well as save a LOT of money! Just do simple things and you will really get to now the vehicle more and realize how poorly many mechanics work on/diagnose vehicles (no offense to great mechanics).

E70 are great vehicles. I came from a MB GL450 and am amazed at how much better the X5 drives. Sacrifices a lot of room though, and the MB engine was amazing!

Just be realistic, the newest of these vehicles are 12 years old now. Nothing you buy will be like a new car.

Report back with what you find!!!
Appreciate 0